The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about a more fun with IR thread?

Don Libby

I decided this morning instead of just showing a simple color IR image I'd take you through some of the steps I normally do.

I was told I could shoot IR with Jpeg and make my life simpler however it wouldn't give me the total control that I want so I've go back to RAW. I shoot with a custom white balance the open the images first in Canon's Digital Photo Professional (DPP) as Adobe doesn't handle the WB very well. While in DPP I can tweak the image and decide if I want to turn it into B&W (which is much better than CS4). Once I have the image to the point I want to import it to CS it's a simple matter of hitting a button and it opens in ACR which I ignore and immediately open into Photoshop. About the only thing I do in Photoshop is run an action for the color then maybe do some minor tweaking before resizing the image to where I want it to be.

I've added an image that show 4 stages of an image just click on it for a larger size.

Don

eleanorbrown

From my old rusty cars and trucks as part of the landscape series. Taken in North Park Colorado near the Wyoming border. Eleanor

Last edited:

Don Libby

I think I just figured out how to send a link to the IR action for Photoshop.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Don

Don Libby

Sandy & I went to the San Cayetano de Tumacácori Mission, Arizona's first Spanish mission located a short drive south of Tubac yesterday. Here's a couple of the first images all taken in IR from the 1DsII and 24-105 lens.

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Eleanor, another GREAT old car shot, great composition. The monochrome really works with this one, and of course the sky is perfect framing!

Don Libby

Ya just have to love being in a target rich area as we were yesterday; here's a couple more from the mission. The more I visit the local missions the more I can tell IR was made for this type of shooting - now I wonder how it'll hold up to Indian ruins.

Don

JimCollum

my very first cat post.... Betterlight scanning back (who says you can't catch wildlife with a scanning back...), No IR block filter, shot thru an 1860 Holmes, Booth, Haydens Petzval lens

some beach shots .. IR with the Betterlight

9" Verito lens

6" Meniscus lens from the early 20's

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Don, You are really capturing a lot of detail with that IR conversion. Those are really nice.
Jim, The IR with the betterlight is so interesting, especially with the vintage lenses. Does the meniscus act like a tilt/shift lens or lensbaby?

Don Libby

Hi Cindy thanks for the kind words. I admit I’ve been a little surprised at the sharpness and clarity of the images I’ve been getting. I found out this was the first 1DsII Precision Camera had converted and maybe some of the image quality rests on the camera’s sensor and 16.7 pixels. Of course some of it could be pure dumb luck on my part; either way I’m ecstatic with the current results.

Jim for some reason or another I find myself liking the last image more in the series – it might be the fall off from center, either way I do like it a lot.

Don