The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about a more fun with IR thread?

Don Libby

Woke up and almost couldn't see the mountains in our back yard; cold with drizzle. Figured it might be a good day to test the capacities of 665nm filter IR photography. Here's a sample of the results. I've included images straight from the camera as well as those converted to B&W.

I never did see the sun at all today.

Don

Don Libby

Uwe - great images of Ft Ord and aptly named.

Thought I'd add to my post from yesterday. This is the same image taken yesterday while on the back way to Mt Lemmon. The first images is as taken from the camera (1DsII 665nm filter) while the second was converted using an action in CS4 and the final is the B&W converted using Canon Digital Photo Pro.

I have to admit out of all the images from yesterday I live the roots the best.

Don

Lisa

I haven't posted anything IR in quite some time, but just finished an experiment in IR processing using a photo I took in the Dolomites of northern Italy last year:

In Photoshop, some basic Curve-based contrast adjustments, then Invert (swaps black & white), then Photoshop's "Diffuse Glow" filter, then another Invert. I'd never heard of anyone doing that before, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I *think* I like the effect - does it do anything for anyone else here???

Lisa

scho

There is a wide range of colors and moods one can create with false color IR that involve very minor adjustments to hue/saturation during post processing. The following three images from today were all converted from raw using the same icc profile and same in-camera WB preset, but after the R/B channel switch the processing diverged only to the extent of slight hue adjustment differences using a hue/saturation adjustment layer.

Impatiens

Icy Dock

Punky Driftwood

scho

I haven't posted anything IR in quite some time, but just finished an experiment in IR processing using a photo I took in the Dolomites of northern Italy last year:

In Photoshop, some basic Curve-based contrast adjustments, then Invert (swaps black & white), then Photoshop's "Diffuse Glow" filter, then another Invert. I'd never heard of anyone doing that before, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I *think* I like the effect - does it do anything for anyone else here???

Lisa
Interesting process Lisa and nice scene. My only suggestion would be to brighten the foreground snow a bit and open up the shadows at the top of the mountain if possible.

ustein

Contributing Editor
That I re-activated my 5D IR was all inspired by Jack's new IR camera and this thread. Thanks. We have more IR fun than ever.

viablex1

thanks I really appreciate that there is some great stuff on here, I missed the online texture workshop but really like that site. would love to shoot fort ord or anything abandoned some really great pros on here...

ustein

Contributing Editor
>would love to shoot fort ord

Not much left. The scenes we shot are now fenced off and some are torn down.