The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about a more fun with IR thread?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Looks great Guy. Did you use a custom white balance? I started playing around with different legacy lenses on my G1 IR today and noticed that there are noticeable differences in exposure and color balance with different lenses using the same in camera WB setting. Guess the lens coatings could have a significant effect on IR transmission.
No it is what precision calibrated it for which in C1 the raws are 2550 kelvin with minus -40 tint. So that is what the camera WB is set at right now. Which from there I can play around quite a bit with the raw and this is something I need to figure out as well. Yes i would agree on different legacy glass having different effects for sure , some maybe coated and some may not plus each manufacturer uses different coatings as well. So we will have variables.

What this will come down to is maybe less scientific processing but more process to taste. So suggestion is make sure your system is calibrated with monitor and such. This is going to come down to the naked eye and the artist impression of what they feel has the nicest effect for a given image. I think we can have great starting points to figure out than let your eye take over.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here is one of the above images -- the jpeg -- converted to false color. I am finding for IR the in-camera jpegs (at least these GF1 jpegs) make for simpler processing in many ways compared to the raws, without much discernible loss in IQ...

Terry

I like the false color with the deep sky and just a hint on color I. The rest of the shot. Subtle but there.

scho

No it is what precision calibrated it for which in C1 the raws are 2550 kelvin with minus -40 tint. So that is what the camera WB is set at right now. Which from there I can play around quite a bit with the raw and this is something I need to figure out as well. Yes i would agree on different legacy glass having different effects for sure , some maybe coated and some may not plus each manufacturer uses different coatings as well. So we will have variables.

What this will come down to is maybe less scientific processing but more process to taste. So suggestion is make sure your system is calibrated with monitor and such. This is going to come down to the naked eye and the artist impression of what they feel has the nicest effect for a given image. I think we can have great starting points to figure out than let your eye take over.
Good advice Guy. I think you are right about starting from a known fixed WB and just seeing what effects seem most appealing.

Don Libby

Guy - Welcome to the wonderful world of IR; sit back and enjoy the ride, you're in for a heck of a ride bud!

Jack is right regarding the need for a proper WB. I had used the one that came with the camera that Precision set before I screwed up and lost it; then after talking to them we found that since I shoot mainly in the desert I needed to set it more for that area and went in search of a patch of green. I redid the WB and the rest is history.

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I like the false color with the deep sky and just a hint on color I. The rest of the shot. Subtle but there.
Thanks Terry,

I have worked up an set of IR actions for CS and will give them to you when we're together at Salton Sea next week. In it, I have 6 B&W toning conversions and a false color action. They build all the layers you need to easily manipulate the output to your tastes.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy - Welcome to the wonderful world of IR; sit back and enjoy the ride, you're in for a heck of a ride bud!

Jack is right regarding the need for a proper WB. I had used the one that came with the camera that Precision set before I screwed up and lost it; then after talking to them we found that since I shoot mainly in the desert I needed to set it more for that area and went in search of a patch of green. I redid the WB and the rest is history.

Don
Agreed. Personally, I find that using a brighter yellow-green over a darker cyan-greenproduces the best in-camera WB...

Guy Mancuso

Well the desert stuff is really pretty amazing with IR . Shot mostly with the 7-14 at ISO 100 this morning the Saguaro is with the 20mm. I processed in C1 with some styles than some without . I'm really just playing around at the moment and used Jack's warming B&W action which I like but anyway here are three shots and going through some more stuff. I was also out to see what happens to color and it's effects in IR and that is really interesting to see what it does.

This is the 20mm with the warming effect

This is just B&W

This one is interesting I used a style in C1 than a warming effect

Now my style for IR maybe different than others I'm after the drama more than the subtle look.

Guy Mancuso

Okay these are straight jpegs from camera .

Warming effect on the first one added noise and sharpened for more noisy look

This one don't ask i went crazy.I'm playing. LOL

This is a straight false color of Jacks action than a little more contrast with adjustment curve . Now this is pretty cool. I should mention I am wearing a black fleece jacket

scho

Well the desert stuff is really pretty amazing with IR . Shot mostly with the 7-14 at ISO 100 this morning the Saguaro is with the 20mm. I processed in C1 with some styles than some without . I'm really just playing around at the moment and used Jack's warming B&W action which I like but anyway here are three shots and going through some more stuff. I was also out to see what happens to color and it's effects in IR and that is really interesting to see what it does.

This is the 20mm with the warming effect

This is just B&W

This one is interesting I used a style in C1 than a warming effect

Now my style for IR maybe different than others I'm after the drama more than the subtle look.
Very nice shots Guy. I really like the contrast between the cactus and sky in the last one and the color is just right.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks and going back looking to see if I am clipping and it is only very very slight that I am. Which is strange because it looks like I am. One issue here is even though very early in morning I get a lot of contrast going on. Now I enhanced it some also but look at the straight jpeg out of camera which is pretty darn good

M

Msoares

Wow, i am loving the images on this thread!!!
You know, we're in the shop converting these cameras and sure we have fun calibrating them and looking at test charts all day, but you folks are using them to create stunning images. Well done! :) - i'm going to share these with the technicians here so they can see how the converted cameras are being put to use.
That GF1 is one heck of a hotrod IR camera ain't it?

Mark Soares
Senior Strategic Markets Manager
Precision Camera & Video Repair

scho

Some more false color IR from the G1. The hemlocks give some IR effect and the ice turns glacial blue.

Guy Mancuso

Wow, i am loving the images on this thread!!!
You know, we're in the shop converting these cameras and sure we have fun calibrating them and looking at test charts all day, but you folks are using them to create stunning images. Well done! :) - i'm going to share these with the technicians here so they can see how the converted cameras are being put to use.

Mark Soares
Thanks Mark for you guy's putting these together. I am having a ball with it. BTW we will have 4 GF1 IR camera's on the Salton Sea workshop starting the 28th so please let the technicians know a bunch of images will be up for them to enjoy there hard work. Thanks Again Jack and Guy

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Mark Soares
It sure as heck is!!!

Here are a few false color images. I'm hopefully zeroing in a viable and repeatable workflow using some CS conversion actions I built:

Guy Mancuso

Look good Jack and been working with your action on false colors than going in and making some minor adjustments given the image. Whats amazing is pretty much any warm tone like red, yellow go to the white side and just a different way of seeing. This is a very yellow scene in the front part of the building and red on the last part. Now all these are false color and I'm playing pretty much to find what I think looks interesting . Not necessarily correct either since it's all wrong anyway it is fun to get in and play around. Some you may not like for sure and this is really my first day playing with this. So I'm just warming up. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Red cactus anyone

Guy Mancuso

What is interesting is taking that shot with false color than adding a warm B&W effect. I am leaning this way for a lot of shots