The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about a more fun with IR thread?

Diane B

Wow, some nice work here Carl, Uwe, Don and Bob . I just sold my 10DIR so I am IR-less LOL (I can use my Hoya on tripod, but....). Sort of suggests I may have the G1 converted if/when I buy another body in the next year.

I tend to like b/W--though I do occasionally do some false color IR--and the b/w's here are very nice (well, the others are too--just my preference of processing).

Looking to see some more.

Diane

scho

Wow, some nice work here Carl, Uwe, Don and Bob . I just sold my 10DIR so I am IR-less LOL (I can use my Hoya on tripod, but....). Sort of suggests I may have the G1 converted if/when I buy another body in the next year.

I tend to like b/W--though I do occasionally do some false color IR--and the b/w's here are very nice (well, the others are too--just my preference of processing).

Looking to see some more.

Diane
Thank you Diane. The G1 live view makes IR imaging very nice, particularly with a calibrated in camera WB.

Diane B

Carl, where did you have the G1 converted--Precision? I was happy with my Lifepixel conversion for the 10D and the filter I chose--but the m4/3rds are a different situation. I don't expect I will do it until I buy a new body---and that will be after one is introduced that suits my needs (following along in G1/GH1 I expect). I was a bit hesitant to sell my 10DIR but one has to strike while the iron is hot-- so to speak LOL.

Diane

scho

Carl, where did you have the G1 converted--Precision? I was happy with my Lifepixel conversion for the 10D and the filter I chose--but the m4/3rds are a different situation. I don't expect I will do it until I buy a new body---and that will be after one is introduced that suits my needs (following along in G1/GH1 I expect). I was a bit hesitant to sell my 10DIR but one has to strike while the iron is hot-- so to speak LOL.

Diane
Diane,

Yes, I had the conversion done by Precision (Enfield, CT). It was the 715nm option which I like very much. Good for either monochrome or false color. Just checking some of my legacy lenses on the G1-IR and all look good so far with no hot spot problems. Here are two with a couple of the Contax G lenses.

Carl Zeiss 2/45 Planar G

Carl Zeiss 2.8/90 Sonnar G

D

Devon Shaw

Jack,
I keep coming back to your recent IR work and this portrait in particular and I must say they are incredibly inspiring to me and more than anything I have seen in the past make me want to pursue IR photography of my own. Thanks for sharing these.
-Devon

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thank you! I have to admit that this GF! conversion has been a landmark camera for me. For the first time I have an IR camera that is small enough to have with me at all times and yet has excellent image quality. If I lost or damaged this one, I would have its replacement ordered within the hour!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I had my blue G1 converted to IR (715NM this time). It arrived late yesterday and it has been pouring buckets of rain ever since then. I finally got out my umbrella and took it for a spin. I can't wait for a nice day to give it a proper try.

Raindrops 7-14mm

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Cindy,
With IR, it changes the weather dynamic significantly.
Just shoot for awhile to see what it can do.
-bob

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy,
With IR, it changes the weather dynamic significantly.
Just shoot for awhile to see what it can do.
-bob
What I love best about IR is that you can shoot in direct sun and get away with it.

Here is another from a few minutes later. There was a slight let-up in the precipitation....just before another downpour.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks, Jack...and thanks for your "pioneering" work with Precision camera. I think I'm really going to like this G1 conversion.