The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about a more fun with IR thread?

Terry

Feeling sort of cr@py today. Came down with a cold in Charlotte. So I stayed in. There was one fleeting cloud earlier today but I wasn't lucky enough to have any when playing with IR. Tried out some more false color today. I don't have much IR experience but all I can say is the GF1 is a fantastic and fun camera to work with in IR.

V

Vivek

Terry, Looks like you shot that through a window (which might have IR reflective coatings).

All color infrared are false color by nature.

V

Vivek

Cindy, Your G1 shots look good. :) I guess you like this far better than your earlier G1 IR cam?

Terry

Terry, Looks like you shot that through a window (which might have IR reflective coatings).

All color infrared are false color by nature.
Yes, it was through a window on this one. Hard to get my long lenses out the window.

Don Libby

What I love best about IR is that you can shoot in direct sun and get away with it.

Here is another from a few minutes later. There was a slight let-up in the precipitation....just before another downpour.
I totally agree Cindy; I can’t wait till the dead of summer gets here and the sun really heats up the landscape. I’m thinking how much better Mono Lake will look in August in IR.

I did get some very interesting images from Sutro Baths in light drizzle and heavy fog – I like yours as well and you’ve make me rethink about shooting in the rain.

Don

Diane B

Oh, I'm getting the urge. Just hard to decide which way to go for IR. I sold my 10D which did a great job for IR but as big as my 5D. Now--I would like to have one by June for trip that would have lots of IR possibilities. Whether to go with a G1 I can find maybe lightly used or even new--or buy another GF1. I think the G2 is going to be too late for me to buy it for main and have my G1 converted. I would really like to keep a GF1 unconverted for day to day shooting though. Guess I'll wait a bit and see what happens with the G2 availability.

Diane

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I... I like yours as well and you’ve make me rethink about shooting in the rain.

Don
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Thanks Don. I had Mamiya 7 around my neck with the 7 in a ziplock bag (with peephole). G1 IR was in one hand and my umbrella in the other (with wind occasionally whipping it!)...fun! We had 5 inches in 2 days (during our Florida dry season.)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Oh, I'm getting the urge. Just hard to decide which way to go for IR. I sold my 10D which did a great job for IR but as big as my 5D. Now--I would like to have one by June for trip that would have lots of IR possibilities. Whether to go with a G1 I can find maybe lightly used or even new--or buy another GF1. I think the G2 is going to be too late for me to buy it for main and have my G1 converted. I would really like to keep a GF1 unconverted for day to day shooting though. Guess I'll wait a bit and see what happens with the G2 availability.

Diane
I opted for G1 conversion only because I had 2 G1 bodies on hand. Both G1 and GF1 would be good choices.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I was inspired by Terry's beautiful bridge shot. I don't have that kind of a scene in front of me, but I thought I'd give the false color another try (I am not a false color fan at heart.)

T

tokengirl

(I am not a false color fan at heart.)
To be honest, me neither. I just can't get excited about the pastel pink/blue tones. Straight up B&W all the way! I'm waiting to hear back from Precision on whether they can do a conversion with a 830nm filter rather than the 715. Lifepixel can do the 830nm, but they don't do any m4/3 cameras and that's really what I'm interested in.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Claire, I will probably rarely do a false color. The 715 requires very little work in post-processing. A few clicks in Lightroom and photos are good to go. I will fix up a preset this week for IR which should take care of most of the post in the future. I am very happy with the job that Precision did on my G1.

V

Vivek

A Crocus shot. Nothing special other than being the first spring flowers available to me...but..what you are looking at is possibly the first IR shot using an IR polarizer. :)

Hacked Olympus E-410, Noflexar 35/3.5 (f8), 1/100s, ISO100, Heliopan RM780, a 780nm polarizer (at max).

Terry

To be honest, me neither. I just can't get excited about the pastel pink/blue tones. Straight up B&W all the way! I'm waiting to hear back from Precision on whether they can do a conversion with a 830nm filter rather than the 715. Lifepixel can do the 830nm, but they don't do any m4/3 cameras and that's really what I'm interested in.
I am not a false color fan either - unless I can coax the false colors that Jack is able to render. with the deep blue sky but the rest looking very B&W or natural. Like Cindy said, the 715 conversion is very good and going to B&W from the in camera results is very quick, painless and good. If you would like a few files to play with, I can send you some and you can see the B&W rendering. One thing I really like about the way it is currently set up, you get very useable shutter speeds and can handhold.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am not a false color fan either - unless I can coax the false colors that Jack is able to render.
I did this conversion of Cindy's posted jpeg, took about 10 seconds total from open to save as... Obviously working with the raw is preferred, but IMO even using the narrow jpeg can make for some interesting effects. Note that two things are critical for a good result. One is that the original WB needs to be proper if you use the in-cam jpeg -- meaning a good balance of red in the sky with blue in the warmer image tones like in Cindy's image here -- and two, your raw converter needs to go low enough on color temp to allow this. Not sure about now, but past versions of LR did NOT allow for cool enough WB adjustments to create good false color results (C1 does). So all of that said, I realize it's not everybody's cup of tea, but frankly I think it works (very) well for images like this one of Cindy's below:

Edit: FWIW I have created an action to help me do this quickly in CS, and why it only took me 10 seconds to perform the above result with Cindy's image. It basically lays down a cleaning layer, a Hue/Sat layer, a Channel Mixer layer for the R<>B inversion, and a curves layer to tweak the final tonal response and contrast. This is a relatively easy action to create yourselves, but if you want to save some hassle and help support the site, I'll happily sell it to anybody that wants it for $15. Again, a significant key to good results is the WB selected in the original conversion --- the bandwidth for what is good here is extremely narrow, so once again it is important to have a balanced mix of warm and cool tones in the original. If you're interested in my action, just send me a $15 paypal to jack-at-getdpi-dot-com with "IR Action" in the subject and I'll email you back the action. Note that this action was built and runs fine in CS4, but I cannot confirm it will run in previous versions or Elements.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jack, That looks very nice.
I do have a question on the white balance. Last G1 conversion, I set a custom wb by shooting green grass. I ended up liking the one that Precision set better. The one they set this time (2000 temp) is the one I used for this shot. Do you think this one is OK or should I try setting another?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, That looks very nice.
I do have a question on the white balance. Last G1 conversion, I set a custom wb by shooting green grass. I ended up liking the one that Precision set better. The one they set this time (2000 temp) is the one I used for this shot. Do you think this one is OK or should I try setting another?
Excellent question! I also prefer the one Precision set, and I am pretty sure they used a brighter more yellow green patch to set it than say typical blue-green lawn. Try and find a really new, fresh-grown yellowish long grass to set it with.