The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about a more fun with IR thread?

T

tokengirl

If you would like a few files to play with, I can send you some and you can see the B&W rendering.
That would be VERY much appreciated. I am sending you a PM with my e-mail address.

I am also curious to see what kind of results I can get with Silver Efex Pro, which is my preferred method for B&W conversion.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
A Crocus shot. Nothing special other than being the first spring flowers available to me...but..what you are looking at is possibly the first IR shot using an IR polarizer. :)

Hacked Olympus E-410, Noflexar 35/3.5 (f8), 1/100s, ISO100, Heliopan RM780, a 780nm polarizer (at max).
Vivek,
Please explain about the 780nm polarizer.

V

Vivek

Hi Cindy,

Quite simply:

1. Normal Polarizers do not work for IR (unless there is a huge visible light leak in the red region).

2. IR polarizers are made of materials similar to the visible polarizers but tuned to the specific wavelength regions.

See: http://www.boldervision.com/ and http://www.meadowlark.com/brochures/Polarizers 0805.pdf

The one I have now (for a very short time) is a generous gift from Mr. Gonzalez (President, Boldervision).

The effects:

As in normal polarizers, you see the elimination of reflections. Contrast is generally improved a lot. Preliminary indications are that most of the "glow" and "wax like" appearance of foliage seen in IR images simply vanish when a polarizer is used (this could be a disappointment for some).

The usefulness is yet to be put to test for various situations. Once I gather more information (and get my G1 ready for UV and IR- which isn't as of yet), I will post more on it.

The very question of polarizers arise because of liveview- the ability to compose, focus (and even meter!) what you capture in IR. My old converted Nikon DSLRs would not be useful to use with an IR polarizer, for example.

etrigan63

Australian Pine (considered a weed around these parts)

Leica M8 + CV Nokton 35mm f/1.4 @ f8 ISO 1250 + B&W 092 filter

S

SamTHorn

There are some really cool pictures in this thread. Thanks for sharing and I'll upload some of mine this weekend.

~ Sam

Don Libby

Cool camera trick-if it is a trick. Thanks for sharing.

~ Sam
Sam – no real trick. The 1DsII was converted to fulltime IR by using a 665nm filter. Generally the files are worked up in CS4 using an action for the false color.

Don

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy,

Congratulations for your new IR G1. Hope you will enjoy it as much as I am with mine.
Thank you.

Matt, Those are both really eye-catchers. The first one is my favorite. I like the composition and the tree has a beautiful form.