The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about a more fun with IR thread?

scho

Three more IR shots from today's outing with the G1 and CZ 35mm f/2 G.

Picnic Tables

Watercress

Rollups

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Carl, I love the false color in "Picnic Tables".

Vivek, Is that false color? It is a beautiful, vivid red... what is it?

scho

Historic Charleston, SC G1 IR, Panasonic 7-14mm

Cindy,
Very nice IR images from old Charleston. The framing of both shots is really beautiful. That 7-14 is a great lens for the tight quarters along those narrow streets. I love all the little gardens and courtyards tucked in behind the elegant houses in the historic district. Really charming town.

V

Vivek

Cindy, IR macro (live view makes it so easy!) of a glass of water under halogen lights. Thanks.:)

Don Libby

This is what happens when you have too much time on your hands...

I'm in-between projects and somewhat bored; a recent email conversation with Doug got me rethinking something that I had shelved. Infrared time-lapse photography.

Living in the Southwest as I do we're noted for days on end with just a blue sky and little to no clouds. I offer this as a way of explaining/setting up the end result; and also to reaffirm this is just a test. I set the 1DsII IR on a tripod in the backyard set it to capture 1-image per minute for 42 minutes giving me a total of 42 images.

Using the 42 images I first opened the images in C1 converting them to black and white and saving to Jpeg. The Jpegs were then sent to Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0 where each image was reset to .15 in the time stretch giving a black & white time-lapse video of 22-seconds.

Using the same 42 images I then first opened them in Canon Digital Photo Pro before sending them to CS4. Once in CS4 I opened the images and used an action to convert all the images to false color IR before saving to Jpeg. I then sent the color Jpeg images to Adobe Premiere the same as I had done with the black & white images. I shorten the time stretch of each image to .05 giving me a 7-second video which I feel is much smoother.

I feel it's a good first attempt and can see doing this again in a better location such as the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley or Moab all places we plan to visit in the near future.

Go here if you have problems seeing the videos.

Color IR and B&W IR

Don

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Finally, I converted one of G1s (I still have the dust shaker in place, it does not affect the sensor response one bit).:)

Here are a few initial samples from it.

Hacked G1, Hoya R72, pen F macro 38/3.5 f/5.6, ISO100, 1/100s, handheld and focused using swing out the LCD.

These two using the Pana 20/1.7 (Hoya R72 again and ISO100, shutter speeds >1/2000s for f/2.2 to 3.2) which is surprisingly good for IR.:)

The color density is very thin even with a 720nm filter. I will have to look for a less strong filter for false color IR.

Overall, the G1, based on a few hours of checking has exceeded my expectations for IR. :thumbs:

scho

Finally, I converted one of G1s (I still have the dust shaker in place, it does not affect the sensor response one bit).:)

Here are a few initial samples from it.

Hacked G1, Hoya R72, pen F macro 38/3.5 f/5.6, ISO100, 1/100s, handheld and focused using swing out the LCD.

These two using the Pana 20/1.7 (Hoya R72 again and ISO100, shutter speeds >1/2000s for f/2.2 to 3.2) which is surprisingly good for IR.:)

The color density is very thin even with a 720nm filter. I will have to look for a less strong filter for false color IR.

Overall, the G1, based on a few hours of checking has exceeded my expectations for IR. :thumbs:
Very nice IR work Vivek. I'm also very pleased with the IR performance of my converted G1. I thought at first that the dust shaker had been removed from mine during conversion, but it is apparently still there.

V

Vivek

Thanks for your kind words, Carl! :)

Compared to a converted Nikon D80 and D200 (both 10mp APS-C Sony CCD sensor), the details and DR (yes!) from G1 is miles ahead! Simply awesome!

A few more (all with a hacked G1, 20/1.7 and Hoya R72). I am trying a high contrast rendition for people shots.

A close up of fist sized mushrooms.

Panasonic 20/1.7 at f/6.3

IR bokeh is as smooth as it can get. ;)

V

Vivek

Agree with Carl. Fabulously executed and presented, Cindy! :thumbup:

scho

A nice crisp, clear day at the waterfront with a big willow fully leafed out behind the boatyard. False color (Jack's conversion action) with the G1+14-45 kit lens.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

For now, I am sticking to B/W. One from earlier today (Hacked G1, Pana 20/1.7, Hoya R72).

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
A nice crisp, clear day at the waterfront with a big willow fully leafed out behind the boatyard. False color (Jack's conversion action) with the G1+14-45 kit lens.

Carl, I really like the color on this one.

I am very happy that I purchased Jack's actions. It makes the conversions so simple.

Vivek, I like the detail and tones of your shot of the young girls.