The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about a more fun with IR thread?

viablex1

my question is what is the best way to make the sky and only the sky darker?

tried selection of color ranges , magic wand , gradient etc

V

Vivek

my question is what is the best way to make the sky and only the sky darker?

tried selection of color ranges , magic wand , gradient etc

You need to look for skies that are devoid of any clouds and airplane contrails and such pollution.

V

Vivek

Depends on the cam you use and how the Bayer dyes on that sensor respond to IR.

What works for one may not work satisfactorily for another.

scho

Attended a wine festival today at a local vineyard and found this old cemetery while walking in the woods behind the vineyard. Apparently an old (1800's) farm family plot.

G1-IR with Contax G 28mm f/2.8 Biogon

Rich M

Attended a wine festival today at a local vineyard and found this old cemetery while walking in the woods behind the vineyard. Apparently an old (1800's) farm family plot.

G1-IR with Contax G 28mm f/2.8 Biogon
Gee Carl......I keep forgetting you have that Biogon. Very nice. I think I might have asked you this before, but was it major surgery to cut off the fins?

Do you think the 21/2.8 Biogon G would be similarly suited for m4/3's?

Regards.....Richard

scho

Gee Carl......I keep forgetting you have that Biogon. Very nice. I think I might have asked you this before, but was it major surgery to cut off the fins?

Do you think the 21/2.8 Biogon G would be similarly suited for m4/3's?

Regards.....Richard
Hi Rich,

Yes - it was a bloody affair getting the fins off ;) I didn't want to create a lot of metal dust using a dremel so I just scored the fins and then snapped them off with long nose pliers. Blackened the severed ends with a marker to prevent reflections from the bare metal. I'm sure that there are better ways to do this but the lens was already in beat up condition so I wasn't too concerned about appearance. Works just fine. I don't have a 21 so can't comment on performance. I think that Leica77 has a 21 and used it on an m43 camera. Might be sample images in the contax/m43 adapter thread.

Rich M

Hi Rich,

Yes - it was a bloody affair getting the fins off ;) I didn't want to create a lot of metal dust using a dremel so I just scored the fins and then snapped them off with long nose pliers. Blackened the severed ends with a marker to prevent reflections from the bare metal. I'm sure that there are better ways to do this but the lens was already in beat up condition so I wasn't too concerned about appearance. Works just fine. I don't have a 21 so can't comment on performance. I think that Leica77 has a 21 and used it on an m43 camera. Might be sample images in the contax/m43 adapter thread.
Off topic.....but I just ended up getting a Biogon. I hope I can get the same results you have gotten Carl...... :)

R

ustein

Contributing Editor
First test photos with the GF-1 and 14-140mm lens (f9 and ISO 200):

Get some hot spots lets exchange some ideas for a fix.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

First test photos with the GF-1 and 14-140mm lens (f9 and ISO 200):

Get some hot spots lets exchange some ideas for a fix.
A couple of thoughts:

1. Avoid stopping down any lens with an m4/3rds cam for IR below f/5.6 (touching the diffraction limits for that sensor size and in IR).

2. Dump that lens that hotspots unless you can make use of the hotspot.
(The 20/1.7 does impressively well for IR :))

ustein

Contributing Editor
>2. Dump that lens that hotspots

True. I want a zoom as I don't want to change lenses on the IR camera. This should be a standby camera and used if needed.

Did some tests:

1. Olympus 14-54mm 4/3 (not m4/3) has hardly any hotspots
2. 14-140mm over 25mm is ok too (the first 2 shots were in that range)

mbroomfield

Abandoned AF base, Truro Cape Cod : 7-14 Pano (1,2)

Dock pilings : 90/2.5 adaptall (3)

Beach Sunrise : 21-35 Leica (4,5)

Old Town Cemetery : 45/2 Rokkor (6,7)