The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about a more fun with IR thread?

scho

Uwe,

Great IR compositions. Looks like the GF1 is working well for you. I agree with Vivek that the 20mm is probably one of the best auto focus lenses for IR work with the G's.

V

Vivek

Stolen Moment Wedding Pic ... IR converted in LR3.

Leica M9, 21/1.4.

-Marc

Marc, If it works for you, that is what counts.

If you try a real IR camera (like a converted G1/GF1 with a plastic 20/1.7) you would find the difference.

fotografz

Marc, If it works for you, that is what counts.

If you try a real IR camera (like a converted G1/GF1 with a plastic 20/1.7) you would find the difference.
I'm not THAT interested in digital IR ... ;) And I do know the difference since I used to shoot B&W IR film on occasion. IMO, no digital IR looks as good as film IR anyway ... and if you shot film IR you would find the difference :thumbup:

In this case, the building in the background was reddish colored and a straight B&W conversion didn't frame the bride well enough (she disappeared into the background to much). Works for this specific shot, and that indeed is ALL that counts :)

That said, it has occurred to me to convert one of my Sony A900's into an IR camera now that the warranty has expired. Wouldn't have a clue how to go about doing that however ... or even if it can be done to the A900.

Here's another half-assed IR conversion done in LR ... in this case it looked completely different compared to regular B&W ... M9, 28/2 @ ISO 800.

-Marc

V

Vivek

I'm not THAT interested in digital IR ... ;) And I do know the difference since I used to shoot B&W IR film on occasion. IMO, no digital IR looks as good as film IR anyway ... and if you shot film IR you would find the difference :thumbup:

-Marc

Marc,

Yes, I have shot IR on film and there is no comparison to the current state of digital IR. The famed HIE is put to shame by the humble G1 (converted for IR) and the pseudo IR films of Ilford SFX or Rollei varieties, etc are just another variation of B&W emulsions.

That said, it is just a matter of choice when it comes to claims like "no digital looks like film IR".

From a technical point of view, digital IR rocks.

If you wish to convert visible light captures to make them look like IR that is your choice but it ain't IR.:)

fotografz

Marc,

Yes, I have shot IR on film and there is no comparison to the current state of digital IR. The famed HIE is put to shame by the humble G1 (converted for IR) and the pseudo IR films of Ilford SFX or Rollei varieties, etc are just another variation of B&W emulsions.

That said, it is just a matter of choice when it comes to claims like "no digital looks like film IR".

From a technical point of view, digital IR rocks.

If you wish to convert visible light captures to make them look like IR that is your choice but it ain't IR.:)

Well gee, I just posted a few images for fun ... I didn't realize there was a strict criteria for posting set by you. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

So, should I remove my invalid images to meet your personal measure of IR? I had thought this to be a "fun with" thread ... but listening to you prattle on and on about purity and goodness of digital IR isn't fun at all. :D

-Marc

A

aum235

Hello to all of you,

My name is William. I've been registered for quite a while but never left a post.
I've been following you folks' work for a long time now, and since I've done quit a bit of IR myself, I thought perhaps it's time for me to start existing too on this thread !
I love your work, all of you.

I'll put up some pics in my next post, right after this one, but first, let me introduce myself a bit more.

I'm a French/US guy, turned 40 this year.
I live in France, next to Paris.
I did a few things in my life, travelled a bit, lived in China for a few years in the 90's.

My first trip to China was in 93, it was a photography report trip all through China, retracing the route that Mao and the red army followed back in 1934-35 during the famous Long March.
It was the trip of my life, really. Back then, a lot of things over there were still virgin to western people's eyes.
And crazy as it seems, I virtually have no pictures of that trip, because it was all sponsored by the Gamma agency (or was it Magnum ? No, I'm quite sure it was Gamma).
Back then, during the trip, I used a Nikon FA.... yeah ! those good ol' days !

That trip was the spark to most of the things that would eventually ponctuate my life after that, and among all those things, there is photography.

I actually did a pause in photography for a few years, from 98 to 2003.
Then in 2003, my daughter was born and my sister offered me my first digital camera, a Canon Powershot A60 if I remember.

Three years later I bought my first DSLR, a pentax K100D.
Ever since then it's been a long love story with Pentax DSLRs, and after the K100D I owned a K200, and then a K-x that I bought last june.

It was with the K100D that I had my first go in IR photography.
Back then, DSLRs' hot mirrors weren't that strong, and it wasn't so difficult, provided one had a tripod, to take IR pics without modding the camera, and just two seconds pause, even with a 850nm filter on the lens !

When I changed to the K200 in 2008, my IR experiences were momentarily stopped, because I discovered that the K200 had a way more efficient hot mirror filter !

In 2009 I travelled back to China for the summer, and just before going, I had bought on ebay my first IR modded camera, a Powershot A95. That was fun ! ...
... untill some stupid nerd in a train over there decided to steal it... that poor old looking camera (the A95 was already quite outdated in 2009)... how surprised and disapointed he must have been when realising that his new stolen camera only took somehow b&w like pictures with vegetation all turning white !!! (except for a few out of a billion, the chinese would truly dislike a picture that is not going to translate like for like what their eye saw).
Anyway, I did use it for about two weeks in China before loosing it. It gave me superb pictures.

Finally, in june 2010, I bought a new Pentax K-x and had it sent directly to DSI to have it
modded into full spectrum.
I was travelling to the US last summer, and I wanted an all in one camera so that I could take whatever kind of pics I wanted - Visible or IR.
The K-x has a live view mode, so it's easy to switch from OVF for Color, to LV for IR.

Now I'm already mooving on to my next camera, a K-5.
The following posts will show you some of the pictures I took along all these four last years.
I'm going to sell my K-x to partly finance my K-5, so it soon might be a while before I take new IR pics (I'm not gonna mod the K-5 for now), unless the K-5 shows better "genuine" abilities to IR than my K200 did !

Once again, I love all of you folks' work.
I should have started posting long before when I first started following this thread last April-May, but... never too late to start I suppose !

Talk to you soon I hope !

William

mbroomfield

i William, welcome to GDPI, I'm looking forward to seeing some of your images. In the mean time here are a couple from a UK visit over Christmas.

Black ponies (someone though they did not reflect any IR!)

Tijou screen

Kew gardens

Antiques

Cemetery

Eye of the Lion

A

aum235

Mike, your pictures don't show.
Have you done it right, or does this have anything to do with a glitch on the forum ???

I'll try uploading a picture as well to see.
This is one of the IR pics I ever took, in 2006.

A

aum235

Great ! It works !
More !
Taken in 2008. Pentax K100D + 18-55 + IR 850nm

A

aum235

Hmmm, they were OK in preview, but I see are gone now.... sometimes. Let's try this one again in a different way;

Ponies
I like your Ponies.
I like also the fact that you apparently didn't swap the red and blue channels.
Shot with 720nm filter, right ?
I myself never swap the channels either. I like the feel of things, specially the skies with 720nm, they look kinda sepia, which I like better than when they look like dark blueish when the channel are swaped.