The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's happened to the Classifieds?

Wollom

Hi,
I haven't visited here for ages, and I was aware there was to be some shift in the Classifieds platform, but there seem to be only 50 or so ads.
Am I missing something?
Wollom

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The new system hides ads after their expiration, currently either 2 or 4 weeks.
The actual rate of new ads is about two per day which is similar to what it used to be, however the activity seems a lot lower since we no longer permit comments and "bumps".
thanks
-bob

Wollom

The new system hides ads after their expiration, currently either 2 or 4 weeks.
The actual rate of new ads is about two per day which is similar to what it used to be, however the activity seems a lot lower since we no longer permit comments and "bumps".
thanks
-bob
Thanks Bob,
I guess it keeps things simple. I kind of liked the old format where old Ads could be used as a price reference, or to get a sense of how likely it would be to find an item, or an impression of a seller's activity and responsiveness.
Best Wollom

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks Bob,
I guess it keeps things simple. I kind of liked the old format where old Ads could be used as a price reference, or to get a sense of how likely it would be to find an item, or an impression of a seller's activity and responsiveness.
Best Wollom
Interestingly, while visiting the b/s forum used to be a daily exercise for me, I've been there only once or twice since the new format was introduced. Saves me money I guess ;)

Mr.Gale

This site use to be fun to visit as there was a lot of fun informative exchanges but since the "for sale" section change I've noticed a significant drop in activity. The regulars are still here but it is not nearly as fun a site as it use to be. The Fred Miranda has a fee base structure for B&S and is very successful so what's wrong with their model and why was it not implemented here?
Let the arrows fly!

Mr.Gale

bab

Marketing is a wonderful thing, some people better off sticking to what they know and let others handle what they don't know. Site traffic is the building block to sustainability!

jstaben

Agree haven't been here much since the B&S was shut down. The new classified site is terrible, no searchable history for price data. I'll be spending more time at FM.

kirio

I just had a deal with a new member but it looks like I am not getting the lenses I paid for. Claim has been submitted to Paypal. Now, I can't find the ad. It was either deleted by seller or removed by moderator. Any way to show old ads?

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
This used to be one of the best places on the net to buy and sell gear. It was a great place to see what was out there and tempt a person to try different systems ... sometimes altering one's approach in a very positive way.

There's no amount of spin that one can provide to say that the changes are for the better. In its current form, the B&S section is dead.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well Im not going to defend it but I just got a 179 bill from ebay and its now 10 percent of final price. Sorry but this is dirt cheap and ebay can bend over and kiss its own ***. Im done and out with it. Yea I'm pissed

sagar

Its so sad and painful to see a flourishing B&S forum which was helping the community growth too going dead so quickly.

Sadder part seems to be even after numbers members requests to bring back old B&S even with simple paid subscription model like Fred Miranda, Pentax Forums etc. no one among admins/owners seem to be in a mood to listen to the "voice"

I know end of the day its owners decision, but I am sure owners do want to grow this place like before :)

mmbma

true and true. come on guys, let's bring back the old b&s. I'm sure the senior members will donate. even that's a small portion of the population, it'll probably still be better than what you are taking in today

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
These are not my decisions anymore but as a former owner I am sadden to see folks participation on the forum is based on a the Buy and Sell section. I find that very disheartening as i thought we as a forum are beyond buying and selling but being a artist and learning your craft. This comes from someone who buys and sells more than anyone and i am still here participating. Now pardon my comment here but I find that pretty shallow on folks participation. But folks are free to do what you want but I thought this was you home away from home kind of place. Maybe Im just naive and you just want to unload your **** for free.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Guy - I think the point is that the B&S section added to the rich tapestry of the site and if nothing else was a great place to feel the pulse of what people were buying and selling, not to mention the occasional tempting tidbit that you didn't realize that you wanted/needed/had to have :)

The current B&S section ages out all old content which kills it as a useful place to gauge pricing and opportunities to pick up items that maybe didn't sell when first listed. I know that I've bought many items from folks months after they'd originally listed them and both parties benefited from that.

I would agree that coming to GetDPI only for the B&S section would be pretty shallow. However, if that's what it took to have people come by and then subsequently contribute elsewhere to the fora then surely that's a good thing no?

I agree with the other comments about fee based B&S - you pay, you can sell and/or respond. The fredmiranda model seems to work very well IMHO.

$0.02.

jonoslack

Hi Guy
It's a holistic thing - and the B&S contributed to this in a good way - the new version seems only commercial (and whereas a punt with the old system if you live in Europe was worth a try, but it isn't worth paying for if you aren't going to sell it). Added to which the banter around it was a positive thing.

. . . . Let's apply Occam's razor; there isn't a positive note about the new B&S in this thread. . . . . . . not one . . . . need I say more?