The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New 5DII rumor

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
DPR's Canon forum had a reported spec sheet up for the 5DII and a claim that there will be an April 22, launch. It looks nice if it's true.

- 15.3 MP full frame CMOS sensor (vastly improved light-gathering capacity per pixel: improved micro lenses; miniaturized micro circuitry; enhanced signal/noise ratio)

- Weather sealing same as 1Ds Mark III
- Dual Digic III with all-new "CXR" NR system reported to best 3rd party NR software. Available as a C.F with 4 levels of customizable parameters.
- 14 bit A/D conversion
- ISO 12800 (C.F. up to 25600)
- Reported 1 2/3 stop sensitivity improvement
- All-new 29-point TTL CMOS sensor with 12 cross-type for F/2.8 or faster lens (35% faster than 40D)
- Micro lens fine adjustment for up to 14 lenses
- 300,000 exposure shutter durability
- 6.0 / 3.0 fps
- 3.0" LCD 922,000 pixels
- EOS Integrated Cleaning System
- Live View (improved from 450D; latest generation)
- 6/3 fps continuous shooting for up to 68 frames
- MSRP $3499, available June 2 "

This would be a nice birthday present if it is.

robmac

Unlike Nikon, Canon has always had a clear dichotomy between its 'pro' 1 series and consumer models (weather sealing, chassis, AF, frame rate, tolerances, etc).

The above rumor, while specific, would be a big change in behavior for a company that has yet to exhibit any desire to change it's MO (lens lottery, 1D3 floundering, 20D->30D->40D and 1Ds2->1Ds3 'marginal' upgrade procession)

The above sounds very much like a miniaturized 1Ds2 with a slightly better frame rate (amongst other things) for the price of the dead-in-the-water 1D3.

If they discontinued the 1D3 and retired the 5D it might make sense, making the replacement a 1 series hybrid of the two. Who knows, maybe the D3/300 and new Nikon zooms finally got someone's attention. I have my doubts.

IF true, would be nice and I would expect two things:

1. A LOT of enraged 1D3 owners with cameras that are now officially DOA on the re-sale market. They will be Nikon owners come D-Day+1.

2. A VERY SLOW sales wind-up by pros (vs. fan-boys with gold cards) as pro shooters, unwilling to become a "new 1D3" test pilot for Canon, wait and see real user reports.

3. A VERY rigorous test process by folks like RG and a myriad of everyday users that will find any flaws that might otherwise have been missed/glossed over in pre-1D3 test reviews.

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
I dunno... It's like the best of every wishlist of options that canon dreamer's have. I'm not saying I don't want something like that hit the market, I'm saying it's 1.) a rumor, and 2.) too perfect a rumor.

So, I'll believe it after Canon announces it... or... after I meet a woman who likes to cook for me, likes cleaning up after me, models for Victoria Secrets in her spare time, speaks 5 languages fluently, is a chess wiz, enjoys practicing her CMT training on me at least 2 hrs a day...

you know... the 5DII of women :p So perfect it doesn't exist... :p But it doesn't stop you from praying nightly for it. :D :LOL:

LJL

That is good Chris. Love your analogy, and do pray nightly also ;-)

I agree that the beast sounds like the last camera many would buy, hence it most likely NOT being real, as Canon (and Nikon) always hold something back to incorporate into that next version in 18-24 months.

I do not see it as a 1DMkIII replacement at all, despite weather sealing, etc. The framerate is too slow for action sports, and it is hard to imagine Canon coming down from the 10fps speed they have now. It also will not replace the 1DsMkIII, which has it trumped in pixels by a long margin. The rest of the features are making it a lot closer. This almost sounds like the long-rumored "single camera" concept for the 1-series that Canon had talked about several years ago, but has yet to produce.

Like Chris, I will believe it once it is actually brought to market. Not unattractive, but I want to touch it first, even if that earns me a slap in the face ;-)

LJ

robmac

Chris - you forgot "her father loves me - and is part owner of B&H Photo"

I'll be cruel: "Know why the 1D3 has 10 fps? So 1-2 can be in focus..." narf, narf.

LJL

Chris - you forgot "her father loves me - and is part owner of B&H Photo"

I'll be cruel: "Know why the 1D3 has 10 fps? So 1-2 can be in focus..." narf, narf.
Rob,
How true!! While the 10fps is great, not so much for ripping off a bunch of worthless frames, but to get the closeness of the frame-to-frame sequence in a short burst of 2-3 frames, the spotty performance on the 1DMkIII has kept me from dumping my 1DMkIIs and upgrading at this point. Canon is now proclaiming yet another fix that is supposed to take care of everything. Right :shocked: While I like many of the new features, if a really critical thing like focus is not working, all is not good. The feature set of this rumored 5DII would be nice, but it still sounds like a dream. I would like to see Canon rebuild the 1-series into something that behaves closer to the Nikon D3, but with the Canon approaches and features, like 10fps at 1.25x crop, not 1.5x or 2x, but still having 22MP FF for the 1Ds side of things. Too much to ask, I know :cry:

LJ

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
That would be interesting. Merging the 1d and 1ds lines into a single line. 22 MP FF at 3 fps or 11 MP at 6 fps, or 6 MP at 10 fps.

Heck, Casio's got a tiny little point and shoot that does 60 fps. Of course at that point it's really just shooting video and pulling out each individual frame as a picture. But it's not that far a stretch given things like Red ONE which shoot 4k video.

Still, I think the "dream" 5D2 is pretty close to the most perfect camera ever (granted we'll all want to see the "pop" or "wow" factor from the shots, but putting that aside because we won't know until images are produced). From a purely technical spec POV:

The things that make it perfect in my eyes are:

- It's not a 1 series, hence lighter
- Weather sealing - Makes me less worried because I'm using it in the rain regardless.
- ISO 12800 (C.F. up to 25600) - super low light capability
- All-new 29-point TTL CMOS sensor with 12 cross-type for F/2.8(35% faster than 40D)
- Micro lens fine adjustment for up to 14 lenses -- No more sending in lenses ! :) DIY! :)
- 3.0" LCD 922,000 pixels <--- this is SOOOoooo long over due it's not even funny :(
- EOS Integrated Cleaning System - my 40D hasn't needed a cleaning, by 5D always does
- Live View - Macro or Astro, I live by live view.

Which is why I think this is a crock, because it's too perfect... Next you'll be telling me that the direct print button has been replaced by a mirror lock-up button...

yeah... that'll be the day! :ROTFL:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Chris,
My wife tells me that Victoria's Secret is "getting real" about their line and will target "real women".
She is almost ready to apply for next year's catwalk show. :thumbup:

-bob

S

SLLDPI

For me, the missing feature on my 5D is a viewfinder with a 100 percent view. If the 5D II had a full-frame viewfinder, I'd buy it for that alone.

etrigan63

Too late in my book. I have my M8 and my wife has a D40x. My 1DMk2 + lenses are going on the auction block soon and I am getting a D300 to replace them for the stuff my M8 can't handle (sports and stage shows).

helenhill

CHRIS / LJL / ROBMAC/ BOB

You boys are being hysterically Naughty .....:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Cheers! helen

D

DougDolde

I don't care what specs it has. It's still a Canon and uses Canon craptastic lenses.

S

sirvine

Doug,

Canon EOS body is very versatile in terms of adapting to third party lens mounts. I generally agree that Canon wides are weak wide open.

Sol

Stuart Richardson

They certainly do have some good lenses though...not all are crap -- the 35/1.4L, 50/1.2L and 85/1.2L are all great. I have not used others, but the 135/2L is very highly regarded, as are many of their long lenses. I have not heard too much good stuff about their zooms or wides, however. As Sol said, at least you can bolt on a Leica, Zeiss or Nikon lens to it if you need it.

N

nei1

The 5D is pretty cheap now,when it drops in price again the 11 will be "out soon".