The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

85mm: Canon VS Zeiss

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
While I don t have the Canon s to compare ...I have the Nikon 85 1.4 ,the Leica R 80 1.4 and the Zeiss 1.4 . Sharpness really shouldn t be the most significant criteria..they are all plenty sharp enough. Its about micro contrast (which shows up in the tone separations ), color saturation,CA and bokeh.

The Zeiss has by far the highest contrast and color saturation but this may not be an advantage. I don t want high contrast and color saturation for portraits . The bokeh is decent but not noteworthy like the images from the 85 1.2 or the Leica 80 Summilux.

The other issue is the typical distance the lens is optimized for...harder to determine. The Zeiss is optimized for distance and therefore evaluating resolution on a test shot at 3M doesn t tell the story. Wide open the 85 1.4 loses resolution but maintains contrast and color saturation.

This is why you get different perspectives on the lenses ..depends on how you plan to use them.

The other issue is color matching...if you shoot the zeiss wide angles (you can set up for the zeiss rendering and of course you are used to manually focusing) then the 85 zeiss might make sense. If you have a mixed kit get the 85 1.8 Canon and save up for the 85 1.2 II..you can always sell an 85 1.8 for a modest loss.

T

tokengirl

Now you can add the Sigma 85 f1.4 to the list.
I'm looking forward to seeing some samples from this lens. If it performs anything like their 50mm f1.4, it'll be a beauty (fabulous bokeh). It may turn out to be the perfect solution for those who want something that's faster than f1.8 but costs less than the 85L II and focuses faster.

L

LJ2004

I agree with Jack.
I only use manually lens, for the middle-long lens, I own russia 85/2, carl zeiss G90/2.8(change to EOS amount).
I must say, if you are free to using manually lens, and don't want spend too much money, so the G90/2.8 would be the most worth one.

Just buy G90/2.8, and ask sb change to EOS amount.
Here is the photo connected with film slr 50E and DSLR 5d.

L

LJ2004

Here is the photo of russia Jupiter 85/2.
not your choice, but it is cheaper enough to just taste the lens.
F2 full open.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I believe the 100m f2.0 is, by a small margin over the 85 1.8, the best non-L lens Canon makes.

What about the 100mm f/2.8 Macro? Not shabby either and no L lens.

W

wardeworth

I had try the Zeiss 85mm but i don't have Canon EF 85mm/1.8 lens. I heared about them both there is not large differece between them, I have a 5d version original, and don't know if the Canon 85mm autofocus has any lack
of focusing which I suspect the Zeiss was exhibiting. As per my suggestion try Zeiss..