The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

7D Tech stuff.

Ben Rubinstein

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/technical/eos7d.do

Very impressive, same sensor technology as the 5D mkII (gapless thingymyjigs), dual digic 4 with 8 channel readout.

Finally 3D colour based metering, Sounds good (and clever)..

Metering doesn't stretch to the edge of the frame anymore unlike all the XXD or 5D type cameras but more like the 1 series. Can't see it being a problem in the real world.

Extra AF sensitivity only with center point and only with f2.8 lenses? They won't do that if they port this AF system over to the 1 series, it's a bit consumer still, still means that focus accuracy with moving subjects and f4 lenses won't be up to 1 series standards. Big shame that personally, it's a real issue for me when shooting dancing and the like, the f4 lenses just don't lock on anywhere near as accurately on a moving subject as the f2.8 and faster lenses do. If anything I can see this as a reason why the 1 series is what a pro sports photographer will still buy.

+/- 5 stops compensation. Very welcome. Try shooting a backlit bride and you'll see what I mean. Exposure bracketing of only +/- 3 stops, what would it have cost, the changes to one line of code? Bit obvious if you ask me.

Specifically mention that 'AI Servo II' had been designed "to account for rapid changes in direction while not being too sensitive causing it to jump from one subject to another", you think they perhaps had the mkIII in mind? I like the zones for servo, is that new to canon? Been jealous of Nikon having that..

Spot AF, ooooh I want that! AF point only as big as the actual square in the viewfinder, wow but people will like that! Should increase AF accuracy immensely (think shallow apertures) though I hope it doesn't slow it down too much, they do mention a reduction is speed.

Autofocus point orientation and ability to map a specific point to a custom button. I like a lot. A very very lot. Not only do we now get AF points that can be used off center but you can access them stupidly fast. Think changing from horizontal to vertical. This and the above should make a vast difference in the AF accuracy available with fast lenses.

Weather sealing like the 1N, they said that about the 5D mkII, I'm not selling my Op/Tech raincovers.

Just the things that jumped out at me personally. No I'm not in the market for a 7D, at all. But if this is what the 5D mkIII will look like then I'll be very very happy to finally upgrade from my 5D's. Hope it doesn't take too long.

Kudos to Canon for making a 18 megapixel D300 plus some extra bits and with unsurpassed IQ.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The 7D seems to be a very impressive camera, and when it comes to resolution and video implementation, it clearly betters the D300s. But... what is it with the people at Canon that always make them hold back on one or more important features (important for some, at least):

- Spot metering is locked to the center, which means metering and re-composing portraits with off-center subject.
- Metering mode is by button plus command wheel, which is ok I suppose, although I prefer a physical switch like on Nikon or Pentax (best on the Pentax, since, with some practice, one can "feel" the position without flipping the switch). But since there's no way of displaying the mode in the viewfinder, I would have to remove my eye from the viewfinder and find my glasses and/or turn on the back LCD to check. Pentax and Nikon have the mode in the viewfinder in addition to the switch.

This is 2009, and Canon has finally launched a compact professional body. I would expect them to think a bit longer than protecting sales of either of the 1D Mammuthus species.

R

RichardL

Impressive, yes, but the biggest flaw with the 7D is that it does not have dual card slots. This feature is a must-have for pros. Canon has dropped the ball by not having two cad slots.

dseelig

I just shot the 7d in the superdome at the saints game I went to iso 1250 files looked very nice the camera nice and responsive also shot in a bourbon st bar again it did the job. So far am very happy to have a light weight camera capable of 8 fps . If the 5d mk 11 had as goos as autofocus as the 7d I would sell my 1ds mk111 . David

M

medinaphoto1

Does anyone know if I can AF when in video mode?
Yes it does, to my testing it is very slow and seems to hunt. According to Canon's website they show a motorcycle race and the AF locking on and tracking the whole time- either I must be doing something wrong (which is possible)I had a wrong setting.