The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The new Canon Eos 1D MKIV Not "V" Night Video

KETCH ROSSI

Hey guys, normally don't post this kind of stuff but there is just too many rumors, the new Canon line will be indeed a "IV" not a "V" line, and is already out testing.

Firts the 1D version woith the 1.3 crop sensor, then the 1Ds with the FF sensor, as usual, but then again, you really never know till the specs areufficially released :)

Enjoy this night video Video: http://www.vimeo.com/7152063

Here are the true specs and first review of the camera: http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1256011201.html

..and here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1256011201.html

CANON OFFICIAL PAGE IS UP!! http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=19584

Last edited:

LJL

Well the name stayed in sequence (MkIII to MkIV), and the specs are a bit different from the other rumor, but at least they are the real deal and it will be shipping end of December. Happy New Year for some folks for sure!!

Waiting to see how the high ISO shots look, but the ISO 6400 used in the video is pretty darn impressive and clean. The extra resolution should be very nice also, even on what has been the speed demon camera in the Canon line.

Will probably be putting a couple older bodies up for sale very soon ;-)

LJ

Christopher

I think canon did everything right. The part which surprised me most was the use of the digi 4 instead of a new 5. Perhaps that one has to wait for the 1DsMk4.

Christopher

I think nobody can tell which in the end is better. Just from the technical stuff the Nikon should be better. I mean it is 1.0 with 12Mp against 1.3 with 16 or I think 8.6 against 5.7 in pixel size. If Canon really managed to beat the D3s in terms of noise than I have to bow my head. That would also mean that we could have a 30-36 Mp 1DsMk4 next year with lower noise compared to the current 1Ds. That would be, impressive and the death for my S2 dream ^^

wayne_s

Looks very nice. Glad Canon is getting this one out sooner than I thought and so close after the 7d. Does this mean that the 1ds4 will 32MP (2x16MP of the 1d4) as has been the case? Or maybe 36MP(2x18MP of 7D)?
Wonder when the 1ds4 will be announced now?

Christopher

i'm pretty sure the 1DsMk4 will have around 28-32 Mp, I think the reason for that is that Canon will try to improve DR and noise in addition to MP. So going to the current maximum of around 37 Mp won't really happen. The step would be way to big. (from 21 to 37)

J

jamie123

A bit off topic but Vincent Laforet's videos are a good example to show why a good photographer is not necessarily a good cinematographer. All his videos are just a series of "cool shots" but are clearly lacking in regards to storytelling. And the cliché elements like a guy doing Parkour, a girl holding a balloon and the shameless attempt to give it a Lynchian "vibe" aren't helping either.

bradhusick

I don't think most of Canon's lenses are up to the task of a 30+ megapixel camera. There might be a couple of exceptions. The S2 lenses were designed specifically for the large sensor. And yes, they're MUCH more expensive.

LJL

Brad,
Aside from Christopher's comments about the S2 slipping away in his dreams, not sure what the S2 or lenses matter much here. The lenses will not fit the Canon camera anyway. On the flip side, should Canon be able to put out a 30+MP sensor in a hopefully forthcoming 1DsMkIV, it will close the gap with the S2 quite a bit. Canon has been revamping some of its lenses, and they are looking to be quite a bit better, plus covering some nice ranges on the wider end with amazingly fast glass that seems to be delivering. Will it match or exceed the S2 glass? Probably not. However at one third the price, and coupled with some seriously technologically advanced camera bodies and new sensors, the differences in overall look and performance may not be so far apart.

LJ

bradhusick

LJ,
I do think Canon and Nikon are closing the gap on MF, but MF keeps evolving too. Now all we need is more cash!

KETCH ROSSI

The 35mm system will soon be maxed out no doubt, but there still a little room, and till then manufacturers will take advantage of the market and push for it, giving us increase little buy little and keep us hooked to buy new toys :D

Yes as a Writer/Director/Producer I agree that a Photographer not necessarily can be a good Cinematographer, but those shots even so been a series of compositions do represent what Canon wanted people to see, a dark night scene shot with available lighting at ISO 3200 & 6400.

The lenses of the FF Canon 35mm can resolve far more then the current 21MP and it is not really about Power of resolve as far as MP is concerned, but it is only a matter of what CIRCLE they cover, and some just about cover the 36mm of the FF Sensor and for this CA, Vignetting and other imperfections are seen.

Agree totally that Leica's new S lenses will surely bring a new level of Image quality and detail to the mix, but then again Leica has always been at the very top of Glass manufacturing, even in the Cinema world.

LJL

For sure. There still does seem to be quite a difference in the rate of that evolution between DSLRs and MF. In this case, the DSLR guys seem to be chugging along at a much better technology development clip than MF. The S2 has a lot of neat stuff, but it is already a couple of years old in comparison to things like the AF systems, hight ISO handling, processing speeds, etc., that we see with Canon and Nikon higher end stuff. I do not really expect DSLR captures to really exceed what one can get with a good MF system, but the improvements and other offering on the DSLR front are looking quite a bit more attractive, and when you figure in price.....a lot more attractive still, to possibly get results that are quite acceptable, except maybe for a few special needs.

LJ

KETCH ROSSI

Yes unfortunately Leica did take so long to bring the S 2 to life that by the time it will , it will already be two years old technology, and companies like Canon and Nikon will continue to bring very small increases to their systems, never really giving us what we want at once, as that will not be a good business model for them, sad in off but quite true.

For this I just think that it is just but imminent a serious changes of heart rom many Photographers I know both in the 35mm and MF world, which will move to RED systems, which offer unprecedented level of specs in both worlds, but especially so in their MF model with the EPIC 645.

Obviously each system has not only to be considered buy what it offers but also by how it does it, and the type of body and lenses it offers, as to be able to chose such particular system based not only on image needs but on handling, fill on your hands, and many more aspects which all together brings one to the decision to go with one vs, the other.

Any ways here is some sugar Kandy of things to come form RED, and will make a post on a section of tits own after my return from RED HQ in their Lake Forest location, also not to Hijack my own thread :)

Last edited:

jklotz

It's interesting to me how all the hype, and the main discussion topic here, seems to be the high iso performance (and video). One of the major improvements over the mark III is the new and improved autofocus system they have incorporated. I know some pro sports shooters who have migrated to Nikon over the last few years because of the better auto focus, and I would think this camera will be an attempt to win them back over. Remember a few years back how the press pool at the major sporting events were a sea of white lenses, and now they are a sea of black lenses?

Funny how nobody is talking about that. Guess autofocus is just old news these days....

LJL

I think nobody is talking about the new AF changes until they prove to be good. I think Canon learned a tough and expensive lesson, and that is why they are pushing the newly revised AF as the big thing here, but folks are being a lot more hesitant until it is clearly demonstrated that this new system works as Canon says this time.

LJ