The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Has anyone shaved the 5DII mirror?

apsheng

I am still trying to decide between the 5DII and A900 for my R glasses.
I have the Elmarit 19 v2 and the 35 Lux, both would require mirror shaving on the 5D. I wonder if the 5DII would have even more interference with these two lenses? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Alan

robmac

The 5DII has the same issue of mirror size/placement as the Mk1. It varies by camera copy - no two 5D's are alike. Lens's that work on yours may not work on the person's next to you. My 5DI (long gone) had no issue with any reasonable lens I threw on it, others would have a mirror strike/graze.

On the issue of shaving the mirror, I know getdpi member Pham Min Son has done it for people in past. Shaving the mirror is easily done - the biggest concern is keeping the detritus out of the mirror housing/off the sensor. There is a large shaved body (there's a joke there somewhere) following on Fred Miranda's Alt Forum with discussions and pics of the process involved - worth looking thru There are also the odd shaved 5D bodies for sale as well.

apsheng

Rob,
Thanks for the info. Just wondering if the 5DII has a larger mirror for the larger (98%) viewfinder? and if there is a limit for the shave before it becomes visible (obstrusive?). The Lux 35 is one of my favorites and I sure would like to use it on a FF DSLR.

Alan

robmac

Alan,

Not sure about larger mirror. IIRC the Mk 1 and 2 share the same mirror box assembly.

You don't need to shave much (app 1mm +/-) to get the mirror to clear a 5D/II with most lenses. That said, it will vary by 5D copy.

You could always mount the body on a tripod, sans lens and using some method that wouldn't cause issues, block off say the bottom 1mm ish of the mirror and see if it causes an issue in VF.

The other possibility is a used 1Ds2 or 1Ds1 - less problematic re: mirror clearance (tighter manufacturing tolerances) and as a result tend to require no mirror shaving to lenses that can @#$% many 5Ds and less shaving for more problematic lenses like the Summilux and 19V2 (sweet lens).

Cheers

R

apsheng

Thanks Rob for your help. I looked on the FM forum as you suggested. Apparently no problem with a 19v2 after a shave. Still have not found anyone using the Lux 35 successfully on the 5D or 5DII. I may just have to take the leap and hope for the best...
Alan

robmac

I've seen folks use them on a crop body, but like yourself, not a FF. Let us know how it works out. Cheers Rob

PSon

I just shaved the 5D Mark II and 1Ds Mark III for forums member here. When I get the picture of this shaving I will post it right here at GetDPI forums. I treated these procedure like I would do surgery so when the procedure is done there is no dust on the sensor. With the shaved DSLR camera you are now free to use all kind of Zeiss and Leica lens. Unfortunately some of these special Zeiss and Leica lens require the procedure to be done. In addition some of the special high end Zeiss lens requires another groove at the bottom next to the gold pins with similar patterns like those you saw on the camera. When it is all done two of my favorite lens to use are the Leica ASPH 2.8/35-70 and Contax Zeiss Planar T* 1.2/85 50/60th Jahre.
Best Regards,
Son

Last edited:

jonboring

pics of Son Pham's shaved mirror

Hi. Attached are pics of my 5Dii mirror which Son shaved for me and the groove cut in the mirror box. Son did a great job - no dust whatsoever in the camera and all my CZ lenses now work great. This is the 2nd camera Son has done for me.