The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Who is planning on buying a 1D MKIV

LJL

Well, maybe not as soon as it hits the shelves, but probably within a month or so of its release. Reason: my present cameras are ready to be updated, the higher ISO, higher resolution, and even the HD video option seem like nice upgrades for this camera. I still need a "speed" camera, and I prefer the larger viewfinder and slightly less crop of the 1DMkIV than the 7D, plus I also need the better weather sealing for that kind of shooting. I like the layout and performance of the 1-series bodies, and this new one looks like it should not disappoint. Canon actually went back to the AF point layout of the 1DMkII, which I preferred over the 1DMkIII, but now it has the new AF system.

My wait is as much to see if any gremlins surface once the 1DMkIV is released and folks start to use it.

What I am really waiting to hear about is a possible 1DsMkIV to compliment it. That one may have 28-30+MP, based on the specs for the 1DMkIV, and that could become my hi-res choice again, replacing my other 1DsMkII.

LJ

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I am waiting for the 1DsIV, then I am afraid that the purchase reflex will take over

LJL

I am waiting for the 1DsIV, then I am afraid that the purchase reflex will take over
I am with you on this one also, Bob. This is probably why I am becoming less interested in the S2. I need the 1DMkIV for speed (shooting sports in horrible light, etc.), AND I want the 1DsMkIV (whenever it is announced) for both the full frame aspect for my wider angle lenses, and the higher resolution to probably supplant the pull toward MF for me :D:eek:

LJ

Tex

Subscriber Member
I will be ordering once some discount is offered.

My only applications are either sports or wildlife. Only lenses will be a 500mm Canon and a Sigmonster.

Coupled with my LF gear, I will be a happy camper.

LJL

Guess some folks may be waiting bit longer, if they are waiting for discounts. The Canon 1-series bodies have held their value and prices for a fair bit of time into their releases.

LJ

LJL

I will be ordering once some discount is offered.

My only applications are either sports or wildlife. Only lenses will be a 500mm Canon and a Sigmonster.

Coupled with my LF gear, I will be a happy camper.
So have you thought about the 7D as an alternative if your only applications are sports or wildlife? It will actually deliver more pixels, and the speed is about the same. Only the viewfinder view may be a bit smaller due to the additional crop. Seems like a much less costly solution.

LJ

Tex

Subscriber Member
If the items that you suggested were my only considerations, yes a 7D would be a "alternative". Speaking from years of experience shooting pro Nikon and Canon bodies, I would NEVER use a consumer body in wildlife shooting where every imagineable situation is encountered.

Have you ever "thought about that"? I have been shooting wildlife around the world for the past 14 years. I don't need nor did I ask for your advice which I consider worthless to a serious wildlife shooter (not zoo animals, cats, dogs, etc)

So have you thought about the 7D as an alternative if your only applications are sports or wildlife? It will actually deliver more pixels, and the speed is about the same. Only the viewfinder view may be a bit smaller due to the additional crop. Seems like a much less costly solution.

LJ

Last edited:

LJL

Really, Tex, please chill out a bit. I was only offering the alternative since you mentioned shooting only a 500/4 and a Sigmonster lens with it, mainly for wildlife and some sports. The 7D is not the same consumer level camera as the 10D, but I am sure you know that. I happen to shoot Canon 1-series bodies professionally for years, including pro sports. Before that, I shot Nikon pro-level film bodies since the 1970s, also all over the world. So I am not making the suggestion out of flippancy nor inexperience. If you have other reasons for not wanting to shoot something like the 7D, fine, follow your needs. My personal reasons for preferring the 1-series bodies were outlined above, plus I do need some wide angle shots also for my pro sports work. You never mentioned what your other reasons were.

BTW, there are an awful lot of professional nature shooters that prefer some of the consumer/prosumer bodies with their big glass. You may not be one, and that is fine. I will not offer any further suggestions for your consideration.

LJ

Giorgio

Some of you have mentioned the coming 1Ds MKIV.

Would you have been more inclined to buy the 1D MKIV if it was a full frame camera with all other specs remaining the same?

Personally I am going to wait a while before replacing my 1D MKIII with the MKIV because I am very happy with the MKIII.

LJL

Giorgio,
The 1DMkIV, like the 1D, 1DMkII/n and 1DMkIII before it are not just slightly smaller sensor cameras than their full-frame counterparts. Yes, the sensors are a bit smaller, but the differences in speed of shooting and throughput make them very different than the full-fame models.

In my case, I will be getting both models, whenever the 1DsMkIV comes out, most likely. The 1Ds models have not had a fast enough frame rate for some of the kinds of shooting I do. (It is not about blasting off 8-10 frames in longer bursts, but more about the shortened time between successive frames that matters sometimes.) The full-frame counterparts with the 4-5 fps speeds are just not fast enough for some things, hence the two different builds. The full-frame 1DsMkIV (still not announced, so it is only a speculated model at this point) will be slower in frame speed, most likely, and as in the past, may not handle as high an ISO as the 1D model counterparts, and it may not have the HD video feature either. That would be a huge amount of data to be processing, requiring lots of power and processing speed. For some, that may not matter. Canon has deliberately been making two different models since it launched the 1-series digital cameras for these kinds of reasons. Sports, photojournalism, some wedding photography, etc., may need the speed of shooting and higher ISOs, plus can utilize the slightly cropped sensor over the much higher resolutions and slower speeds of the full-frame.

I kept waiting and hoping Canon would combines the two into a single body that offered the shooting options, maybe somewhat like Nikon has attempted to do, but after years of using the two different bodies, I have really grown to appreciate the differences in operation and delivery.

Back to your question..... If the 1DMkIV was a full-frame camera with the specs that it has for speed, it would have been fantastic also, but the technology might mean having to stick with a smaller total MP sensor size, much like the Nikon D3s has had to do. That is not a bad thing, just not the same.

If folks are interested in the 1DMkIV, and have not read the new white paper that Canon has released for it, it is really worth the read to help understand what this camera is capable of doing and why things have been designed for it the way they have. On the surface, it does at first look like the 1DMkIII with a higher MP sensor and now video capability, but there are some significant redesigns to the AF system and some options on how to use it that are very useful advancements, IMHO. (I am not affiliated with Canon, nor a salesperson or shill for them.....just a professional shooter that has logged lots and lots of frames on the various models.)

LJ

Giorgio

Wish i can buy that 1D mkIV
It does look like one heck of a camera, but is it a big step up from the 1DMKIII? That is the real question.

The AF and the ability to selectively customize the function of the AF looks great in the MKIV.

I can't wait to see some images from the MKIV.

Professional

It does look like one heck of a camera, but is it a big step up from the 1DMKIII? That is the real question.

The AF and the ability to selectively customize the function of the AF looks great in the MKIV.

I can't wait to see some images from the MKIV.
To my opinion, not that much!

I was hoping to get this camera to replace my 1D mkIIN not my 1DmkIII.

KETCH ROSSI

As a twenty years plus Canon shooter, I do have the 1D IV in Pre0Order, but not sure if I will make good on it, trying out the Sony a900, and also waiting for the new RED EPIC DSMC cameras from Red Digital Cinema, so will see.

The spec are great but could have definitely been a bit better especially on the FPS high speed shooting, longer bursts in RAW mode shooting and last but not list, they could have definitely have applied 3 more MP bringing the camera to 21MP, just a tad more then the newly released 7D, but Canon lately has not really made all the great decisions, when it came to releases and Immediacy in costumer service, and attention to detail and prompt response as they failed to do with the 1D III, so will see, hopefully they learned their lesson, but for now Sony, and MF are here to try out for a bit.