The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any speculation on a 35/1.4 MkII?

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Canon just did re-did both the 14mm and 24mm wides in the last year. I'm surprised we have not see a 35/1.4 MkII. It is part of the Canon trinity for sharp but would think there is some room for improvement.

Any speculation or rumors?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'd agree in that's it's been around so long as-is, it seems due for an upgrade. Now wouldn't a 35 f1.2 be cool?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe the 1.2 would be cool, but the mark I is pretty damn good as it is.
The 1/3 stop is not that much, except in dof, but a touch more sharpness in the corners might be needed if the 1DsMIV gets in the 30Mpix+ neighborhood.
-bob

eleanorbrown

The Canon 35 1.4 is my most used lens for my Canon 5D II. It is very very good. If I could only have one 35mm lens this would be it.....only thing I would like to see different is to have it in an IS version. eleanor

robertwright

unfortunately canon's lens development is driven primarily by marketing-higher iso's and faster glass are at odds aren't they? having the one means you don't need the other as much; however it drives sales to have a 50 1.2 and 85 1.2.

This comes at the expense of size and weight, which in the age of IS and noiseless 3200 ISO makes less sense.

What they will never do is do what I want, provide high performance fast but not ultra-fast lenses which would balance size, weight, performance and cost in one package. A 35 f2, 50 1.4, 28 1.8- but wait, you say they already have those? well...they perform very poorly wide open. they may as well be f4 for what they are worth!

then there is zeiss with great fast but not ultra fast aperture performers- but without autofocus what is the point?

betwixt and between I say! I am never happy :ROTFL:

KETCH ROSSI

There have been some talk in fact about few upcoming new lenses from Canon, I have been a Canon shooter for the past twenty years, and some time it is difficult to believe that I have now, no Canon gear, but I felt the need to not be so close minded, and try other gear out there, as I have been doing for the past few months.

The 35 f/1.4L is by far not only Canon's best and sharpest WA lens but it is second only to the 135 f/2L, and unlike the 14L and 24L which both left to desire as far as extreme sharpness and other Glass produced artifacts, and needed an update urgently, for years, there has been no such a need nor demand or rush to produce a second generation 35 f/1.4L, and also unlike the Cine Glass there has no been a call for a faster WA the the already super fast f/1.4.

The other two coming are off course the 24-70 f/2.8L IS II (or just specified as IS) and the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, which they supposed to have the same implementation of the Hybrid IS system of the 100 f/2.8L Macro, which I shot with last sunday and it is absolutely a great and sharp, very sharp lens.

The 24-70 could possibly also come with an IF like the 16-35 and 70-200 series, but this one is not an easy one.

The 35 f/1.4L II, again even so an upgrade is really not needed for this lens as it is not needed for the 135 f/2, but could be a very welcome site to many.

I don't even know why I'm posting this, I'm not a Canon shooter any more :) maybe cause I still have a 1D IV on pre-order and could go back to canon any time :D ??

ONe more tough about ISO marketing VS. lens speed, they have really a very different role to play as the extreme high ISO allows for shooting stopped down to limit DOF and bring so much more of your image in to focus, and this is a bit also were the Cine glass speed as the Master Prime fro Arri/Zeiss at their super fast T1.3, come in handy but still higher ISO cameras are needed in order to film in low light situation and be able to limit the amount of noise, while filming stopped down.

LJL

Have been thinking along the same lines....Canon will stick with the high ISO game, and keep upgrading to faster, sharper versions of their lenses, as much for HD video considerations as just upgrading their entire line bit by bit. Canon was getting hammered not too long ago for its lack of good WA glass, and they seem to be responding with some recent entries that are pretty decent. Their long lenses are stellar, and their mid-range teles are also good. Now that they are dropping in a few nice specialty lenses, as well as upgrading wides, the zooms may be next in line for some updating/improvement.

For some reason, I was never a big user of their 35/1.4, but when I have used it, I thought it an excellent piece of glass. If they sharpen the corners a bit more when wide open, that would be more than enough improvement. Opening up to f1.2, if kept sharp, would be icing on the cake. Right now, I would rather see them redo the 24-70 f2.8L to get it sharpened up a bit more, and maybe reduce some distortion.

LJ

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Okay... A killer 28 would be good too, so thinking outside the box for a second, what would we all think about a killer 30 or 32 instead of a 28 and 35? I for one would LOVE a fast prime a tad wider than 35 and tad longer than 28...

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Okay... A killer 28 would be good too, so thinking outside the box for a second, what would we all think about a killer 30 or 32 instead of a 28 and 35? I for one would LOVE a fast prime a tad wider than 35 and tad longer than 28...
A 30 would be interesting and in the M-Mount world CV sees to have a following for the 40mm.

I use a Zuiko 28mm on the 5D and it is very nice also.

wayne_s

If the Zeiss glass were only AF, I would be all over them white on rice -- but alas it isn't to be...
Understand, manual focus is not for everyone.
I hear Samyang is rumored to be releasing soon their 35 1.2 lens.
This could be interesting if it is as good as their 85mm lens.
Of course no AF with this lens either.

Ok, while we are dreaming, how about a 1/2 price sale on the P65 for Black Friday!:ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ok, while we are dreaming, how about a 1/2 price sale on the P65 for Black Friday!:ROTFL:
Be careful what you wish for! There was just today released a VERY impressive Phase upgrade AND Hassy system switch offer :D

KETCH ROSSI

Be careful what you wish for! There was just today released a VERY impressive Phase upgrade AND Hassy system switch offer :D
REALLY?? Please say more or should I call Steve at CI? :D

Have the new DF on order while keeping the P1 645AF warm, so still looking to see if I can manage to get that Bad A$#@!@# DB after all.