The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

400mm Fun

bensonga

Impressive results for hand holding that big lens! I look at the pic of the lens....it's a beauty!

Gary

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Awesome John, glad you are enjoying it!!!

PS: Forgot to warn you -- when shooting in places like parks, you are likely to have random people walking up to you and asking if they can look through your camera! Might want to have a good reply ready for whatever your canned answer is going to be ;)

T

tokengirl

PS: Forgot to warn you -- when shooting in places like parks, you are likely to have random people walking up to you and asking if they can look through your camera! Might want to have a good reply ready for whatever your canned answer is going to be ;)
Charge them 25¢ a peek.;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Charge them 25¢ a peek.;)
Exactly :ROTFL:. It got ridiculous for me one time I did let somebody look -- this was in Yosemite. Anyway, before I knew it, I had like 10 people lined up to look through my camera. From then on I would explain that the light, or animal, or whatever might be perfect when they were looking, and since the gear needed to pay for itself, I have to charge $100 per look to cover lost image opportunities. Nobody bothered me after that.

Don Libby

Had that happen to me in Arches National Park when I still had my 500. I was shooting Delicate Arch with a 2x attached to the lens and somebody came up and asked if his kid could look through it. After looking down at the little guy with muddy hands and a jelly smeared face I decided that no was the appropriate answer saying to the Dad, sorry it’s just too delicate to pass around.

You’ll also find that any time anyone sees the big white lens come out you’ll have crowds of people around you trying to see what it is you’ll shooting. Happened to me at Yellowstone; people driving by would actually stop and watch. Bear jams and white lens jams…

Congrats on the lens!

Don

D

Daveco

I had my 400 on a tripod sitting on a viewing platform at Bosque Del Apache and had taken the body off the lens. A lady came up and grabbed the lens (locked down on its gimbal mount) and tried to manhandle it. Apparently, she thought it was a public viewing telescope. Her adult son saw what was happening and asked her to leave it alone.

s.agar

I had my 400 on a tripod sitting on a viewing platform at Bosque Del Apache and had taken the body off the lens. A lady came up and grabbed the lens (locked down on its gimbal mount) and tried to manhandle it. Apparently, she thought it was a public viewing telescope. Her adult son saw what was happening and asked her to leave it alone.
Funny. Or is it?