The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Oh-So-Lovely 85L II

T

tokengirl

I'm not sure really why I bought it. I hardly ever take photos of people, and I hardly ever use telephoto lenses.

And it can be a b!tch to use - it's so slow to focus, and with that razor-thin depth of field, you better bring your A game. I decided to practice on an 11-month old baby, which was probably not the best idea I ever had. Trying to get that bobbing and weaving little head in focus was baptism by fire, let me tell you. At f2.0, I got 10 shots that I can live with out of 209. Ouch.

But when it's on, it's ON!

The rest of the set is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/msmambo/sets/72157622962735189/

Now I remember why I bought it. It's just that there aren't really words to describe it.

Eoin

My favorite lens of all time, best used at f:/4 when there is a little subject to background separation (my opinion only). Filling the frame with a head & shoulder shot at that distance allows the nose, eyes and ears to be in focus with everything else melting away.

C

canon5dshooter

Heck I love that lens at F1.2. Its one of the only lenses that I mention in the same sentence as a Noctilux. I love to get back from the subject a bit and let the subject "hang" in the "ether". Wish I had the change to buy one for my club shooting.

Here is a random shot at F1.2 with the 85/1.2 II.

Last edited: