The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Small Rambling on the 24mm TS-E II

s.agar

Can someone explain the difference between the 24mm V1 and V2 lenses. I can't find any reliable information except for some sales talk.
Price difference is about 1000 USD, and I'm considering the V1, if the T+S are working.

Thanks in advance,

Seyhun

T

tokengirl

The two main differences:

1. With v1, you can either set the tilt and shift in line with each other or at 90° from each other. in order to change from one to the other, you can either a) send it in to an authorized repair shop or Canon, or b) supposedly do it yourself by removing 4 tiny screws and rotating it. With v2, tilt and shift rotate independently of each other in variable increments by pressing a lever and turning the lens. This is a HUGE improvement in the functionality of the lens and totally worth the price of admission.

2. The optical improvement from v1 to v2 is very significant. v2 has no CA to speak of, it is incredibly sharp all the way to the corners unless you tilt all the way, there is no barrel distortion, and flare is extremely well controlled.

The v2 is worth every single penny IMO.

s.agar

2 Comments:

1. Thanks a lot. Very useful information.
2. You have just costed me an additional 1000 Dollars!

Seyhun

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
An option for a t/s on the Sony, you might consider the Olympus OM 24mm as a tarting point. It would give you manual apature control.

T

tokengirl

I find that I am using the 24 TS-E II more than any other lens, and if you put a gun to my head and told me I could only keep one lens, this would be the one I would pick.

I had her out for an airboat ride and swamp walk yesterday:

NoBob

Really no barrel distortion? If you straightened up (those vertical lines on the low brown partition wall slant to the right) that interior shot, got all the verticals upright and put a guide along the door openings and along the bend in the wall on the left, are they perfectly straight?

T

tokengirl

Really no barrel distortion? If you straightened up (those vertical lines on the low brown partition wall slant to the right) that interior shot, got all the verticals upright and put a guide along the door openings and along the bend in the wall on the left, are they perfectly straight?
No they are not perfectly straight, but that's not due to barrel distortion, it's due to my camera not being perfectly positioned when I shot the sequence.

Here's another sample, a single shot where my crappy tilt-pan tripod head was positioned as correctly as I can get it (this is my mental justification for getting a Cube :D). I have superimposed grid lines for your viewing pleasure. I don't see any noticeable barrel distortion here.

NoBob

Thanks, I do like the pic.

But the sides of the foreground structure don't appear parallel (right-hand edge leans to the right)...

(Yeah, I'm this picky with my own shots)

T

tokengirl

How much tilt did you use in those shots?
Wayne,

The Chekika shot had a very minuscule amount of tilt, maybe a half degree? The Miami skyline shot had one degree I believe, and it was a handheld shot from my boat (which is unusual, as I always use a tripod with the TS lenses).

You really don't need a lot of tilt for landscapes, it's very easy to overdo it. Sometimes you really can't use it, like when you have a tall object (like a tree) in the foreground.