The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best Friends

T

tokengirl

Hopefully I can get my chores done quickly so that I can take the new baby out for a spin later.

:cool:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
And I thought I was a gear slut!

(It's only envy speaking! :D)

Seriously, congrats! If I had kept my Canon's, I'd own both of them too!

danlindberg

I understand that both are excellent lenses, but that the 24 is outstanding and shines compared even to the mighty 17!
How great a difference is there in real world situations?

T

tokengirl

I understand that both are excellent lenses, but that the 24 is outstanding and shines compared even to the mighty 17!
How great a difference is there in real world situations?
The 17 is in no way a disappointment - it's an excellent lens. But it's just not as perfect as the 24. I will warn you, the 17 is prone to flare, but it's easy to control by using your hand as a shade.

Don Ellis

I wandered over here for the first time after living in the Small Sensor Forum. This is a beautiful shot in every way -- lighting, positioning and title. Congratulations on your new friend... of course, I may never post anything in this forum after seeing these guys. I'm going to go see if there's a Pinhole Forum. :)

bensonga

Wonderful photo! We are, as Jack said, in deep envy!

I would be thrilled to have just one of these TS lenses.

Gary

s.agar

Finally I got the 24mm. Shifting is very straight forward. Tilting is more tricky for me, and I need to do some experimentation. The viewfinder with 24 mm lens, even wide open at F3.5, requires eagle eyes, while mine are tired over the years. Is it time to learn the liveview of the 5DII?

LJL

tokengirl....great shot of some extremely nice glass friends! As Gary said, it has earned our envy ;-)

S.Agar....I was never a fan of Liveview, even on the nice big 3" LCDs, but after starting to shoot video with the 7D, I have really come to appreciate using the screen, but mainly with a loupe (Hoodman or Zacuto are both quite nice, have diopter correction, and the right amount of magnification to make things work well). Using the loupe (attached or affixed in some way) actually allows great up-to-your-eye level viewing, cuts all the extraneous light, and assures you can get very precise focus. Well worth trying out if you get the chance.

Now, have to find something else to sell to feed the TS lust ;-)

LJ

s.agar

LJ,

I managed the first step of the procedure. That is Liveview. 10X with Liveview is much better than the OVF.

I think the loupe may be helpful under bright light. Is that so?

Now the real big problem: I shoot historical ruins, like Hellenistic temple ruins, Roman temples, Church and mosque remains etc. My biggest problem is that, despite the need of a WA like 24mm, I need to straighten out the columns etc. PS can do it to some extent. Then, with low light and F3.5, I need a reasonably sharp photo of say.. an array of columns. That is, I need to use both the T and S.

Shifting is easy. Then I usually need horizontal tilting. That's very difficult. Yesterday, to get used to the lens, I tried it outside with buildings. Finally I found a procedure something like, focus on the closest one, then tilt until the distant building is approximately sharp, then go bach to the first one, chech, and fine focus that again. Then go again to the distant building, like a trial and error procedure. Unfortunately, this takes a very long time, and the result is not guaranteed. Making additional shots with different exposures is the additional action needed.

Is it really so time consuming? Is there an easier way?

Usually travelling to a large ancient city ruins, one does not have so much time. Fortunately, I don't travel with groups, but still a few friends around will surely start to complain.

Seyhun