The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the 17mm TS-E

T

tokengirl

Post 'em if you got 'em!

Sunday morning, not a cloud in the sky. Now, I am generally careful to avoid lens flare, but sometimes you do get some interesting surprises. This lens doesn't have a hood, but it's pretty easy to just use your hand to block those gross blobs of wierdo light that sometimes appear. But on this day, with my hand cupped above the lens, feeling all happy that the blob disappeared, I did not see these lovely delicate rays through the viewfinder. And luckily, my hand did not block them either.

Uaiomex

Beautiful shot! Composition is perfect. I like the desaturated sky against the golden grass. How come? PP or not? Congrats.
Eduardo

Arne Hvaring

Nice image Claire, simple and elegant!
Yes it's a great lens with some unique possibilities. Here's a recent shot used straight as a regular 17mm.

T

tokengirl

Beautiful shot! Composition is perfect. I like the desaturated sky against the golden grass. How come? PP or not? Congrats.
Eduardo
Thanks. The color was achieved in PP, I actually made a preset in Lightroom some time ago specifically for these very bright sunny days. I just prefer the sky to be less saturated, as I find the bright blue sky to be somewhat distracting in my Everglades photos taken during the dry season. The rainy season, when all the plant life is lush and green again, is a different story.

T

tokengirl

Nice image Claire, simple and elegant!
Yes it's a great lens with some unique possibilities. Here's a recent shot used straight as a regular 17mm.

Very dramatic! I bet this would also be stunning in B&W.

Arne Hvaring

Thank you Claire, and you're right; many of these winter scenes lend themselves particulrarly well to B&W.
Here's another 17mm image from the same shoot.

s.agar

Hi Arne,

Beautiful photos.

Is the second one also like a regular 17mm, or did you make any tilt(?) to make the whole scene in focus?

Seyhun

Arne Hvaring

Hi Arne,

Beautiful photos.

Is the second one also like a regular 17mm, or did you make any tilt(?) to make the whole scene in focus?

Seyhun
Hi Seyhun,
thank you! I've found that the need for tilt on the 17mm is usually only in cases with rather extreme near-to-far images, in almost all other cases the large DOF at this short FL takes care of focus. This particular image was shot at f 9 so no need for tilt in this case. However with longer FLs, like the 90mm, it's rather the opposite; here tilting is frequently required to bring the scene into focus.
Just to show the kind of near to far sharpness obtainable with the 17mm when tilted, the image below was shot at f 7,1. The lower part was only a few cm from the lens itself. (Not a stellar image, only for illustrative purposes :))

wayne_s

Congrats Arne on getting the 17! Hope you like it.
I like the shot with the rocks, must have been very cold when you took that shot.

Arne Hvaring

Hi Wayne, thank you. Yeah, I ordered mine just after you got yours, some 4-5 months ago... Luckily it seems to be a good sample, I'd hate to wait for a new copy :eek:
I've found it is a little (too) sensitive for sidelight, i.e. lightrays striking the bulging front element from the side (but well out of the image). Other than that it's excellent, and great fun to use.

sinwen

Arne,

The longer I watch your pictures the more I believe this lens is a killer, I don't know how much post process you did but all is in there. Lovely !

Michel

Uaiomex

I did it!
I just bought a 17TS. It will be a few days till I grab it. Please share some more great stuff.
Eduardo

Uaiomex

Thanks Tgirl. I've been to the dark side since 1993 when I bought a 24 and a 45 TS. But certainly the dark side got really edgy!
Both new TS's from Canon renewed my faith in the brand. DMF can wait!
A major framer/gallery in my town asked me for a supply of color landscapes. The framer has seen my 24X36" prints from 6X9 film. I hope I can match the quality. I'll let you know how it goes.
Eduardo

p.s. I realized too that 60% or so of my interior shots are made with my 17-40 @17mm

Last edited:

Uaiomex

First pictures coming out. I just went to Izamal for a short stay there with a good friend of mine and his very nice family. Love the lens. Really sharp, no distortion. Pics look "clinically" clean comparing to 17-40. I bet it is only psychological, but I swear I can see more DR. Flare its an issue, though.
Happy spring everyone!
Eduardo
Ps. Couldn't find a way to insert pic.