The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

am i asking too much from this lens?

irakly

It seems to me that something weird is going on with this lens... This is definitely now what one would expect from an L optics.
Does anyone here own Canon EF 2.8/200 L II? Is this something that you see wide open? This image is actually shot at f/3.2, so you can imagine how wide open pictures look like :( do i want to much, or should i call canon tomorrow and murder everybody over the phone?
here is a full size jpeg.
http://www.shanidze.com/temp/canon200mm-8164.jpg

robsteve

Subscriber
It probably should be better. What body, ISO and shutter speed? It seems to be a bit too smooth too unless you were shooting at a higher ISO and noise reduction is causing it.

irakly

it's a raw file, 1d mark2, iso50, 1/2000. no noise reduction, naturally. it is not the smoothness. look at letters on a t-shirt and shoulder line. what's that halo? this looks like coma to me.

robsteve

Subscriber
I think you have a problem with the lens or maybe AF if the focus was slightly behind her. Here hair near the back of her head and the pony tail seems sharp enough. You might want to try shooting a brick wall and manual focusing to test the optics. When I had a 200mm f2.8 L it was sharper and higher contrast than the 70-200mm f2.8L.

There were also a bunch of the EOS 1D MkII that went back to canon for soft images. I can't remember if it was an AF issue or sensor. Try doing a search on it at SportsShooter.com .

http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=15069

Robert

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Should be a lot better the canon 200 mm 2.8 is a very sharp lens . I owned this lens twice and it is very sharp. Looks like something wrong with it to be honest. This lens and the Nikon 180 2.8 are underrated lenses in my book because there faster cousins get all the press but these are nice lenses. When i get my main computer back on line I can post some runway stuff

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I agree it is very sharp lens and many folks opt for the zoom which is not as good to be honest.