The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Canon T2i/550D

Terry

Uwe - these all look really good. You've been testing a lot of cameras recently. In this case it looks like you an Bettina are enjoying it.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Uwe - these all look really good. You've been testing a lot of cameras recently. In this case it looks like you an Bettina are enjoying it.
Yes, and testing is a mixed blessing if your own cameras are better than the test cameras. In this case no regrets as I love the T2i but have also some nice zooms to go with it.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Yes I would guess nothing worse than having to review a camera you don't like using.
I then mostly don't write about it. Because it could be too subjective. If I get good pictures with a camera it can't be bad, right?

Of course the T2i is no real surprise because I liked the 7D also a lot. In the end I like so called "underdog" cameras that are not feature rich, don't shout "Pro", not expensive and still deliver great images. The Rebels were always like this.

The Nikon D90 is also such a camera. But it is not on par in terms of video with the T2i. Also one of my favorite lenses is the 70-200mm f/4 IS and Nikon does not have any equivalent.

Diane B

I've always liked your reviews for that reason--you use them practically and I can expect to learn how you felt about the camera in daily use.

I really need to try the 7D and the 550 D--I don't really want to add them at this point, but it would be nice to know what's really happening with the newer models. If I was truly unhappy with the old 5D and not shooting quite a bit with m4/3rds, I know I would have upgraded by now, but not sure what I will do in the future--but I need to have some idea of what's out there besides reading reviews only (though yours are very helpful).

Diane

ustein

Contributing Editor
In some way the T2i needs to be compared to the GH1. I love the GH1 but I think the T2i has some major points if used with nice lenses:

- Higher res (not that important)
- Less noise at lower and higher ISO
- Easier to get good f/4 zooms (though expensive)
- More selection of good AF lenses (I like to use it with the new 100mm Macro IS)
- Faster Servo AF
- Faster frame rate
- Video likely gets better quality (Codec issue with the GH1)
- AVCHD codec of the GH1 can be a pain
- Optical viewfinder has its plus (although a bit small)

The GH1 has the following advantages:

- smaller
- lighter
- Swivel LCD
- Color Moire with the Canon HDSLRs (GH1 shows moire but no color moire)
- Silent with AF
- Good stereo audio for video

sinwen

In some way the T2i needs to be compared to the GH1. I love the GH1 but I think the T2i has some major points if used with nice lenses:

- Higher res (not that important)
- Less noise at lower and higher ISO
- Easier to get good f/4 zooms (though expensive)
- More selection of good AF lenses (I like to use it with the new 100mm Macro IS)
- Faster Servo AF
- Faster frame rate
- Video likely gets better quality (Codec issue with the GH1)
- AVCHD codec of the GH1 can be a pain
- Optical viewfinder has its plus (although a bit small)

The GH1 has the following advantages:

- smaller
- lighter
- Swivel LCD
- Color Moire with the Canon HDSLRs (GH1 shows moire but no color moire)
- Silent with AF
- Good stereo audio for video
Could you tell which viewfinder you prefer from GH1 / Canon T2i on daily basis use ?

Thanks
Michel

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Uwe,
While I agree on most of the points on your comparison with the GH1, there's one more:
With the GH1, you can use the viewfinder for video, which is one of the reasons why I bought it instead of (or before) the 550D (or 7D or whatever Nikon may or may not come up with).

ustein

Contributing Editor
Uwe,
While I agree on most of the points on your comparison with the GH1, there's one more:
With the GH1, you can use the viewfinder for video, which is one of the reasons why I bought it instead of (or before) the 550D (or 7D or whatever Nikon may or may not come up with).
Yes, forgot. But I use for the 5D2 the Z-Finder and that is nice too.

Best would be combination of the Gh1 and T2i. I expect the next GH2 to be a very interesting camera. But we need pro class zooms for m4/3.

Helena

Would you mind to elaborate on that please ?
What didn't fit you in the MFT camera, what model was it ?

Thanks
Michel
It's hard to put into words, but I'll try. I had a Panasonic G1 with 14-45 and 20/1.7 and thought that it was a great camera and the lenses were very sharp. But, one problem was that none of the µ4/3 cameras fit in my pockets, so I need to bring a bag, and if I am going to bring a bag I can just as well bring 5D and a favorite lens and know that there are no image quality compromises. Another problem is that I love bright wide angles and short DoF, and there are no such lenses for µ4/3. A third reason is that I'm in love with the files from 5D.

All of these things I was aware of beforehand, so it was stupid of me to buy into the system in the first place, but after have read so many good things about it I couldn't resist trying it myself. :) However, I bought everything used and didn't lose any money, so no harm done.

ustein

Contributing Editor
It's hard to put into words, but I'll try. I had a Panasonic G1 with 14-45 and 20/1.7 and thought that it was a great camera and the lenses were very sharp. But, one problem was that none of the µ4/3 cameras fit in my pockets, so I need to bring a bag, and if I am going to bring a bag I can just as well bring 5D and a favorite lens and know that there are no image quality compromises. Another problem is that I love bright wide angles and short DoF, and there are no such lenses for µ4/3. A third reason is that I'm in love with the files from 5D.

All of these things I was aware of beforehand, so it was stupid of me to buy into the system in the first place, but after have read so many good things about it I couldn't resist trying it myself. :) However, I bought everything used and didn't lose any money, so no harm done.
And I often also like the 1.6x crop of the 7D/Rebel T2i. Most of the time I am not really missing my 5D Mark II.

sinwen

Helena, I get your point, for the same disturbance, files IQ makes the difference. I am not a zoom fan as well but mainly looking to use my R lenses. The 5D keep my WA wide which is another important point..... but the beast is big, it would have been a no brainer if it had the size and weight of the average film cameras.

Uwe, I am use to film viewfinders camera, I believe the 5D is on par. But I have no idea of what the 550D & GH1 could be like, that's the reason I referred to your point of view.
(There is no camera shop around here to have a chance to peep through a viewfinder beside the lowest Canon/Sony they have one sample of each and that's all)

Many thanks
Michel

Diane B

I agree about the 5D. I used to use a grip on my bodies, but stopped when I got to the 20D (just sold the grip along with the 10D I had converted to IR) and didn't buy one for the 5D. Its big enough--didn't bother me that much for 3 years or so, but then started to want a smaller body or system and did add a used 400D at one point for a smaller body (even tried a G9 which I didn't enjoy shooting nor like the IQ). Still--once I added my lenses I wasn't saving too much weight or size. I still have it, sold off a number of lenses recently but kept the ones I like best or use most often. I love my fast primes, TS and 12-24 on the 5D (though the m4/3rds 7-14 would probably please me for wide--as the ZD 9-18 is very nice and wide enough most of the time)..

In terms of size and brightness, the G1's EVF is on par with most FF's OVF. It has some cons, but generally I prefer it to my 5D's for manual focus, low light focus. I don't know if the new Rebel (550D)'s OVF is better than my older 400D, but there was a lot of difference between it and the G1's EVF--with the G1's being the much better for most shooting.

Diane

Helena

Helena, I get your point, for the same disturbance, files IQ makes the difference. I am not a zoom fan as well but mainly looking to use my R lenses. The 5D keep my WA wide which is another important point..... but the beast is big, it would have been a no brainer if it had the size and weight of the average film cameras.

Many thanks
Michel
Yes, I would love a "smaller 5D" like camera! I'm hoping that not too far into future there will be something like Leica M9, but I would prefer to have access to AF, and of course a lower price. :)

I used to have a Minolta P&S analog camera that was wonderful. It was small and light, but image quality was on par with what my fiancé got from his SLR, but of course I couldn't switch lenses.

Rawfa

I have been checking out a lot of work done with the Canon 550D and it is giving me "bad urges". Good dynamic range, very good high iso, fast AF, very good video quality. Why, oh why! Now that I've almost come to terms with the E-P1.

sinwen

Yes, I would love a "smaller 5D" like camera! I'm hoping that not too far into future there will be something like Leica M9, but I would prefer to have access to AF, and of course a lower price. :)
I wont be surprised (and hope) the 5DII is going to be replaced soon. I am holding on to it, I cannot afford a new camera every three years so I better chose something I really like in the first place.

I used to have a Minolta P&S analog camera that was wonderful. It was small and light, but image quality was on par with what my fiancé got from his SLR, but of course I couldn't switch lenses.
A friend of mine had some forty years ago a compact Mamiya which gave wonderful pictures.

- Back to the topic, this 550 seems to be loaded with a lot of improvements and the pictures seen here and everywhere on the net show an accomplished IQ, very tempting !

clark666

I was hoping that Canon would expand its Rebel line to include a Full Frame Rebel-like dSLR. It would be made of plastic, weigh a lot less than the 5D II, have Rebel quality AF and speed and COST A LOT LESS than the 5D