The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Canon T2i/550D

ustein

Contributing Editor
For me FF is not really that important. Actually I often want more DOF and here 1.6x is just fine.

Diane B

I can't see that happening anytime soon until Canon is pushed into it by competition. That would be killing the golden goose--or whatever LOL. The 5D IS the inexpensive FF. At least for now, it seems that it needs that size to handle the mirror, etc for the FF--and it doesn't conflict with the even higher end 'pro' FF bodies. Unless you 'need' a FF, it seems reasonable to consider 1.6x bodies.

I think those that feel the need for FF buy the 5D and its Nikon equivalent and others buy the 1.6x and don't have any issues with it other than DOF primarily. I had both--and when I wanted similar FOV I put a 28 on the 1.6x and the 50 on the 5D. When I needed/wanted very shallow DOF, I chose the FF, otherwise a 1.6x body would give me quite good images--all shot in RAW (though I just generally preferred at that point to carry the FF--now, I don't know). If I was buying now (not upgrading the FF, but choosing a body for EF lenses) I'd look at both the 7D and the 550D. No matter what, though--the lens size and weight and price are the same and there are a lot of choices for body 'grades' now from pretty reasonable to astronomic that can give you just terrific results.

Diane

sinwen

... If I was buying now (not upgrading the FF, but choosing a body for EF lenses) I'd look at both the 7D and the 550D....

Diane
That was my next question to UWE : If you were to have only one camera what would you chose, considering pictures IQ for print of 17x22 and camera size small enough not be a burden after a while ?

ustein

Contributing Editor
That was my next question to UWE : If you were to have only one camera what would you chose, considering pictures IQ for print of 17x22 and camera size small enough not be a burden after a while ?
Hard to say. The T2i and 7D would be candidates.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Thanks, you exclude the 5d then.
Would not exclude the 5D2 (but it is bigger and more expensive). I have phases and right now I use the T2i a lot (nearly exclusively). Bettina uses a D3s review sample (otherwise she would use the 5D2). The 1Ds III is staying home (too big).

I bought the 5D2 for video (because have 1ds3). But now I would mainly use T2i for video.

s.agar

Uwe,

Thanks a lot. These are beautiful photos, as always.

I have a 500D as a 2.nd SLR body, mainly to use with 400/5.6 for nature and bird photos. I use telatively high ISO's most of the time (400 ISO+). I think there's more noise than I like to have. In fact I think my previous 450D was better in that regard.

The 550D has the same size sensor with more pixels. Theoretically, it should have even more noise, but technology is improving also every day.

If you have used the 500D as well, how can you compare these cameras.
Thanks in advance.

Seyhun

ustein

Contributing Editor
Uwe,

Thanks a lot. These are beautiful photos, as always.

I have a 500D as a 2.nd SLR body, mainly to use with 400/5.6 for nature and bird photos. I use telatively high ISO's most of the time (400 ISO+). I think there's more noise than I like to have. In fact I think my previous 450D was better in that regard.

The 550D has the same size sensor with more pixels. Theoretically, it should have even more noise, but technology is improving also every day.

If you have used the 500D as well, how can you compare these cameras.
Thanks in advance.

Seyhun
I did not care that much about the 50D and then heard the 7D had even more pixels. Then the 7D surprised me a lot how well it handled that many pixels. The T2i has essentially the same sensor.

K

kateross

Wonderful and very interesting post about new Canon T2i digital camera. The photos taken with Canon T2i are really professional.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Great abstracts, Uwe. In general. there's something about your post processing that gives the images a very pleasant... can't find the word. It reminds me somehow about my Fujis and the E-1. Anything that you can disclose?

ustein

Contributing Editor
Great abstracts, Uwe. In general. there's something about your post processing that gives the images a very pleasant... can't find the word. It reminds me somehow about my Fujis and the E-1. Anything that you can disclose?
I use my own (commercial) scripts: mainly DOP Contrast Plus and DOP OptimalSharp.

In this case I also added a look with Magic Bullet Photo Looks:

http://www.outbackphoto.com/CONTENT_2007_01/section_workflow_basics_2010/20100331_PhotoLooks/index.html

ustein

Contributing Editor
These are fun shot because the tiger/lion were behind a mesh fence. Using a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens at 200mm and f/2.8 got rid of most of the fence.

Last edited: