The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Canon T2i/550D

ustein

Contributing Editor
Uwe, you seem to enjoy this little camera a lot. Did you ever used it with other lenses than Canon ?
No, just own a lot of Canon glass. The lenses I use most are:

1. 24-105mm f/4 IS
2. 100mm f/2.8 Macro IS
3. 70-200mm f/4 IS

(shot freehand at ISO 3200)

vincechu

Thanks for sharing Uwe, I currently have the Panasonic G1 but I'm considering buying one to take with me to Shang Hai and Hong Kong this September to shoot the cities at night and it looks very promising at high ISO's.

At the moment I'll probably buy one but I'm just waiting to see what the rumoured Sony turn out to be like.

May I ask which Canon lens you would recommend as an everyday, walk around lens? (I have no knowledge about canon lol) I was thinking about the 18-200mm but from what I've seen its pretty average. The 24-105 L lens seems very sharp with good colour so I'm leaning towards it.

Vince

ustein

Contributing Editor
I was thinking about the 18-200mm but from what I've seen its pretty average. The 24-105 L lens seems very sharp with good colour so I'm leaning towards it.

Vince
I am not a friend of super zooms like 18-200mm and also don't like variable apertures a lot. I would take the 24-105mm f/4 IS.

Here is a shot from the Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro:

Helena

Thanks for sharing Uwe, I currently have the Panasonic G1 but I'm considering buying one to take with me to Shang Hai and Hong Kong this September to shoot the cities at night and it looks very promising at high ISO's.

At the moment I'll probably buy one but I'm just waiting to see what the rumoured Sony turn out to be like.

May I ask which Canon lens you would recommend as an everyday, walk around lens? (I have no knowledge about canon lol) I was thinking about the 18-200mm but from what I've seen its pretty average. The 24-105 L lens seems very sharp with good colour so I'm leaning towards it.

Vince
24-105L is a great lens, but not very wide on 550D. If you plan to shoot cityscapes and large buildings you'll probably need something wider. Two people I know have the 15-85IS lens and are happy with it. 17-55IS is "brighter" (has a larger aperture) and is highly regarded. Or you could combine 24-105L with an ultrawide zoom, for example Canon 10-22, Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 11-16.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Or you could combine 24-105L with an ultrawide zoom, for example Canon 10-22, Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 11-16.

Yes, but I don't need it that open. Will try to use the FF 12-24mm Sigma lens. Too bad the Panasonic m4/3 7-14mm does not fit :).

Helena

Aah, I had forgotten about that Sigma 12-24! Would be interesting to try on 5D some day... :) I rarely shoot wider than 24mm though, so I'll save my money for later.

You have posted some very good photos in this thread. The T2i looks like a great little camera. However, I think you could create engaging photos with a disposable camera.

ustein

Contributing Editor
You have posted some very good photos in this thread. The T2i looks like a great little camera. However, I think you could create engaging photos with a disposable camera.

Thanks. I really like to use this camera and have sitting a 1Ds3 and 5D2 in the bags :). I actually like the more DOF of APS-C sized sensors. Before I used the GH1 but don't think it can match the T2i in higher ISO. I now often even use ISO 1600.