The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

AF point display not working on my 1Ds3

RichEdg

Hi folks

I recently upgraded from a 1Ds2 to the 1Ds3. I am finding the camera a delight. However, I have noticed an anomaly: there is a menu item that allow you to show the Af point used during shooting (page 118 of the manual). When you review your pictures on the back LCD you should be able to see the AF that was used to take a photograph overlaid on the photo. Despite enabling this option the auto focus point is not displayed. Does anyone have a way of getting this to work? I am using the latest firmware update.

I used to use this feature on the 1Ds2 to check where my focus point had been and if the image was sharp. I would like to be able to continue to do so with the new camera.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Best wishes

Richard

RichEdg

I solved the problem. I have the camera set so that the shutter button locks exposure and takes the photograph, but the AF is done on a back button. With this setting the camera will not display the selected AF point on review (unless the AF button is being held down when the shutter is pushed).

The good news is that you can now set the camera to enlarge the image from the selected AF point. This gives you a good indication of where the camera was focused and if it is in focus.
Best wishes

Richard