The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alternative Lens Hoods

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
On both my leica and nikon lenses ..I have sought out shorter metal hoods . Sometimes its as simple as using another hood from the same manf or buying a cheap metal hood on ebay. An example on the zeiss zf lenses is to use the 50zf hood for the 100zf lens..perfect fit half the length. The std hoods are clearly the best if size didn t matter but they make the lenses "threatening" to the average person.

In many cases you can just go without but its nice to have a little something in front of the lens. Sort of a bumper. My daughter uses the 5DII and I traded for some L glass...so I am looking for some smaller hoods for her glass. Seems silly but the hoods have to be reversed to fit in a bag and thats slow.

A

Alan Ginman

Hi Roger

I dislike Canon lens hoods for the same reason as you. For my 50mmlens I have one of these, and I'm going to get another one for my 85mm:

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/prod.asp?i=10431&1=B+W+Collapsible+Rubber+Hood+900

They are thicker rubber than cheapo rubber hoods, and last a long time. They collapse in the bag, keep my fingers (and my 4 year old daughter's) off the front element, and give a bit of crumple zone. B+W do metal hoods as well if you prefer.

Cheers

Alan

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Hi Roger

I dislike Canon lens hoods for the same reason as you. For my 50mmlens I have one of these, and I'm going to get another one for my 85mm:

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/prod.asp?i=10431&1=B+W+Collapsible+Rubber+Hood+900

They are thicker rubber than cheapo rubber hoods, and last a long time. They collapse in the bag, keep my fingers (and my 4 year old daughter's) off the front element, and give a bit of crumple zone. B+W do metal hoods as well if you prefer.

Cheers

Alan
Thanks Alan

I need to do some home work . My preferred method is to keep a short metal hood in position and cover it with a hood hat if needed . This keeps the lens ready (I use 2 bodies and do a lot of street shooting..so I sometimes have to juggle to make a change). On the zeiss Zf lenses for my Nikon s I just use the shorter alternative (like the 50 hood on the 100 lens.) On the Leica M I use a vintage contax G hood (CG1) on the 28 summicron and a CG-2 on the 35 summilux. Heavystar makes cheap screw in metal hoods as well.

Canon doesn t seem to have any standardization ..so exchanging a shorter hood doesn t seem to work. Hoods that use the bayonet are the best because on impact that just destroy the hood not the lens. Rubber as you use also is high from a protection standpoint. I may have to go with a metal screw in or take a copy of the original and hack it down to size.

A

Alan Ginman

BTW, I like your Semana Santa photos. Where were they taken?

Cheers

Alan

robmac

I tend to use older Mamiya 645 rubber hoods of suitable diameter and, ideally FL. Tough, cheap, nice bumper, compact in bag, etc.