The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Canon...

S

Shelby Lewis

Hey all... new here. Just moved back to canon after a short and wonderful foray into sony-land (shooting weddings with the a900 in a canon-based studio is not to be advised :D)

Some of my first stuff with the 5dmkii and the lowely 85/1.8

grain added by me:

cheers!
Shelby

Tex

Subscriber Member
Shelby I have always heard it is best to be silent than say something negative - therefore I won't comment about the images

Your a900 images always were a joy to view

S

Shelby Lewis

Shelby I have always heard it is best to be silent than say something negative - therefore I won't comment about the images

ouch.... :D

fotografz

The camera does not make the shooter.

Jeff Ascough shoots exclusively with Canon and seems to do okay.

Give Shelby a little time to re-adjust guys.

S

Shelby Lewis

Hey all... I've got thick skin, so say what you mean to say. :D

I'm definitely in the middle of an adjustment period... the ergos are different... the files need quite a bit of capture sharpening (but there is a TON of detail there)... and the color isn't as crisp and separated. But I will say that from a utility standpoint, the 5Dmkii has already proven itself. It's gotten the shots I've needed, when I needed them... sometimes in ridiculously low light. For people shooting, the cams work well.

Is it the sony look, nope. I wish it were. Are the above images the best stuff I've ever shot... heavens no... but they are nice, money-making images. A happy couple (as well as very uptight, lol) in love.

S

Shelby Lewis

The camera does not make the shooter.

Jeff Ascough shoots exclusively with Canon and seems to do okay.

Give Shelby a little time to re-adjust guys.
Jeff is easily my favorite wedding shooter. I'm not in a situation where I control my wedding output these days... but I'll echo Marc's sentiment.

It's not the camera. (now I just need to get better)

wayne_s

Jeff is easily my favorite wedding shooter. I'm not in a situation where I control my wedding output these days... but I'll echo Marc's sentiment.

It's not the camera. (now I just need to get better)
Shelby,

Glad you are back posting your great work and providing us with your multi platform user experiences.
You are definitely a much better photographer than most of the people here no matter which camera you are using and I don't think changing camera's has any effect on your great work and style. Sure the lens drawing styles between Zeiss and Canon are different and the camera color responses maybe slightly different between them but this is really nitpicking/pixel peeping stuff. Most of your non-photographer wedding couples reviewing your work will probably not even see or care about these subtle differences. They will care a lot more about your creativity, vision, and timing in capturing the moments.

Now that you are shooting Canon, I hope the wedding studio you shoot for could hook you up with some L glass like the 85L,135L, and 50L or maybe Sigma 50 which you used with the A900.

Don Libby

I've begun playing around with IR with my spare 1DsII. Still trying for the sweat spot for processing. All were shot late morning almost high noon.

Don

Dale Allyn

Shelby,

Glad you are back posting your great work and providing us with your multi platform user experiences.
You are definitely a much better photographer than most of the people here no matter which camera you are using and I don't think changing camera's has any effect on your great work and style. Sure the lens drawing styles between Zeiss and Canon are different and the camera color responses maybe slightly different between them but this is really nitpicking/pixel peeping stuff. Most of your non-photographer wedding couples reviewing your work will probably not even see or care about these subtle differences. They will care a lot more about your creativity, vision, and timing in capturing the moments.

Now that you are shooting Canon, I hope the wedding studio you shoot for could hook you up with some L glass like the 85L,135L, and 50L or maybe Sigma 50 which you used with the A900.
Shelby,

I'd like to echo Wayne's remarks (and Marc's).

My first thought when I saw the first image of the couple walking the path was that the white balance is a bit blue or something. I'm not on my good display though, so can't really tell. I'm traveling and using a laptop with iffy colors. Even so, the color is obviously a bit different than I'm used to seeing (as a Canon shooter). I'm sure clients rarely, if ever, see the stuff that we do, and happy clients is what matters most.

You produced some fantastic images with the Sony kit, and I'm sure that you'll find the right post processing tools and workflow to make lots more great images with Canon kit.

(And as Wayne says, I hope that studio will provide you with some "L's" like the 135, 85, etc.)

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Rgds,

Dale

S

Shelby Lewis

Dale and Wayne... thanks so much for the kind words. There are comments over in the sony forum about the bluishness of the first shot.

Ok... some more from a wedding this last weekend... and a headshot thrown in for good measure.

250D closeup lens on (i think) an 85/1.8 ... not the sharpest combo, lol.

Cheers!
Shelby

wayne_s

Jim,
Great depth and light!
Like the detail on the foreground stone.
When did you go to Ankor Wat?
I am going in the Fall for the first time.
Just got a 17 TS-E for that trip. :)
Any great places you went near by that you
recommend?

wayne_s

Here is a shot of Stanford Memorial Church altar with my new Canon 17 TS-E lens on a 1ds3 at f9 on a tripod with MLU. This was taken with the lens horizontal and shifting up the maximum amount and I just did very minor/quick sharpening/minor processing in LR. I have also some unshifted shots along with various compensations so I can do a full HDR spliced together shot which I will process much better than this one. I had only a few minutes before getting ushered out for the next wedding.
Jack, you really need to get this lens, lol. :ROTFL:
This is my first T/S lens and it rocks.:thumbup:

S

Shelby Lewis

Here is a shot of Stanford Memorial Church altar with my new Canon 17 TS-E lens on a 1ds3 at f9 on a tripod with MLU. This was taken with the lens horizontal and shifting up the maximum amount and I just did very minor/quick sharpening/minor processing in LR. I have also some unshifted shots along with various compensations so I can do a full HDR spliced together shot which I will process much better than this one. I had only a few minutes before getting ushered out for the next wedding.
Great shot wayne... and the 17-T/S looks like a very sharp lens. Lots of detail in your pic! I've never owned a ts lens (and I'm an architect :eek:) so it's on my list. Unfortunately they're so damned expensive and I have other priorities first with my new canon stuff. I'd love to have the 24t/s and the 90 as well.

Oh well, one of these days! Thanks for sharin'.
Shelby

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Looks very good Wayne! I want one, just don't want to pay for it LOLOL! Anyway, the image looks excellent, though there is a spot of flare in the center of the roof, likely from the bright stained-glass windows -- still a very usable image, but need to watch direct light.

wayne_s

Looks very good Wayne! I want one, just don't want to pay for it LOLOL! Anyway, the image looks excellent, though there is a spot of flare in the center of the roof, likely from the bright stained-glass windows -- still a very usable image, but need to watch direct light.
Jack,
Still cheaper than some of those MF lenses.LOL.
Yes, I noticed the flare on some other shots and it must be from the bright spot lights they had pointed downwards which affected only the shots where I shifted up into them. Here is the unshifted shot and a center crop.
Having a large bulbous front element with no hood makes it easy to pick up flare, especially shifted up into the sun or bright ceiling spotlights.

Shelby,
You could always rent this lens from Lensrentals.com when they get a copy of this lens. I rented a 135L from them a while back and I was very happy with the service they provided.
Would be an incredible lens for shooting the bride,groom, and wedding party in front of the altar of a church like this.

Arne Hvaring

Shelby, welcome to the Canon board! Although I understand that your transition to Canon was caused by circumstances rather than by choice, I have no doubt you'll continue to produce outstanding images no matter which camera system you are using. I've followed your posts and intelligent discussions with Marc and others on the Sony board with much interest, but haven't participated much myself, both for time constraints and because I don't use Sony. I did however have the a900 briefly and could compare it directly to 5D2 and Nikon D3, and while it produced excellent files, I was struck more with the similarities than the differences between these cameras. This is a vast subject of course where choice of optics, RAW converter, PP etc. all influence the final outcome. Hopefully, once you've settled in, you'll find that Canon has some advantages too:)

Wayne, that 17mm TS looks sweet, does the sharpness hold up into the corners when shifted? Or to put it another way, how much do you need to stop down to get good corner sharpness?
I own all three classic TS lenses in the Canon range, but not yet the 17mm or the new 24mm. I've had the new 1,4/24mmL for some months now and it is a stellar performer, both re. resolution and micro-contrast. So Canon is spoiling us for choice in the WA segment, who would have thought that LOL.
Looking forward to more posts from the 17mm. Seems you've got a great copy (or have Canon finally tightened QC ? :p)

Arne Hvaring

Here are a few shots from Cannes on the 14th. of July, the day the French Republic celebrates itself. I've never been much of a street photographer (to put it mildly) but with everyone taking pictures left and right, I thought I'd join the fun:p The only lens I had with me was the 2/35mm Zeiss ZF, attached to my 5D2 with adapter. This meant not only manual focusing, but also manual stop down. Why make it easy:ROTFL:

Last edited:

Arne Hvaring

And later, the fireworks. This year by an Italian team, showing a poetic and unusually restrained performance.
All taken with 5D2 and 2/90mm Apo-Summicron.

Last edited: