Site Sponsors
Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,700 of 1912

Thread: How about more and more fun with Canon...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How about more and more fun with Canon...

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    whoa... calibrated my monitor this morning and the photo posted above is seriously off-color, lol. You'd think I'd know better and remember to calibrate BEFORE working up images. Luckily, it wasn't a final... only a quick post-session test workup.

ETA: Ok, I think google Chrome's color management has been mucked up on my computer because the image looks decent in Firefox

ETA...again... I've seen a bunch of chatter on the internet about Chrome's newly-deteriorated abilities re:color management. Looks like it might be time to change browsers again. (boo... I generally prefer Chrome)
    Looks fine to me. Using Safari on a Mac with color-calibrated Eizo Coloredge.
    "A fella, A quick fella, might have a weapon under there. I'd have to pin his head to the panel." The Gyro Captain

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks good to me on an older, but calibrated Apple 23in HD

Post Thanks / Like

Earlier this morning with the 6D and my new-to-me 70-200 f/4 L IS. Minimal post as always (I hate computers, so I try to get it right in the camera).

The first one is cropped to just over 4 megapixel (could really have used a 100-400).

_MG_0848.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

The next one up close at 116mm.

_MG_0855.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr
    "A fella, A quick fella, might have a weapon under there. I'd have to pin his head to the panel." The Gyro Captain
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

MKII 17-40

Thanks ACH
    www.achdigital.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Simple exec.

5DII and 85L

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

1Ds-II, 70-200/2.8L (version 1, with that body!), Capture One, through a window , for extra atmosphere!

--Matt
    Last edited by MGrayson; 15th December 2013 at 08:42.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Canon 5D, 24-105, Agra India 2006

Rupinder
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Really nice one Rupinder. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Really nice one Rupinder. Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you Lloyd for kind words,

Rupinder

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Well....I'd like to play.....love my Canon's
    Currently its time to see Eagles migrating in the area for a few weeks.
    Here is a recent capture

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

That shot of the eagle is flat out amazing!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Lloyd....we had pockets of light and I was able to time that one when it was in a pocket....it sucked that that was full frame...and clipped the wings

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful..I have been struggling in getting a 400 2.8L vs 600 f4 because 400's price is really attractive. How is the AF speed when using 2.0 TC III

Post Thanks / Like

I will admit that on other forums...I'm known for being the 400 campaigner!!
    I shoot mostly motorsports..and then wildlife...and other things....so I really take advantage that I have 3 lenses in one:
    400 @ 2.8 awesome bokeh!!
    560 @ 4 sweet and SHARP TOO
    800 @ 5.6 DITTO!!!

With the 2x on (and I use the vs III) in good light...I don't really see the drop off of AF speed that others claim....it still is fast and accurate. But then as light diminishes, it will hunt for focus and be slower....but my 70-200 does the same!!! Granted...using the 1.4 seems like there isn't a TC in between...but I don't see HUGE difference with the 2x on.

That above image is with the 2x on it

If your using the vs II TC's....you can actually double stack them....just have to place the 1.4 on the body first, then the 2x...due to the glass is right at the mount edge on the 1.4......but the new versions won't stack due to new design changes
    Then your focus speed does drop..but normally I only did that under great light...and to me it was still fast enough for most action shots.

I used the new 600 for some Hydro races over Labor day weekend...and found that it wasn't as solid at "locking in" as my 400 is. But I have also heard that of all the new VS II glass. It seems that Canon has "over rev'ed" the focus systems...and they tend to lurch more attempting to find focus. I feel that I missed about 30% of what could have been great shots due to lens lurching for focus when it was already focused.

Again...can't say enough of the ability to START at 400...and go all the way to 800...within seconds (time to change TC's). Hard to go backward from 600 when its not there.

Granted...with the 600...if your using a body that supports the newest firmware that allows F8 use....then WOW....1200mm is cool!!! The hydro boat is at 1200mm on a 5DMKIII....snowy owl...400 + 2x......as well as this eagle shot.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

We have the new 500, and it's truly sweet! And amazingly light. I don't know exactly what it weighs, but it seems like it's about half the weight of the 600! I love our 400/2.8, but in truth, my real fav is the 300/2.8. Wicked sharp, fast focus, and I love how it draws.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Lloyd...if you have the version 1 of the 500 compared to the version 1 600...major weight savings
    The new 600 vs II is about the same weight as your 500.....very hand holdable

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard that, and we talked about getting the VSII 600, but I can't quite convince the family bean counter!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think we all enjoy processing images in different ways. Most of us would probably agree that there isn't one "right" way. There are many variations, depending on what we want to convey.

So with that in mind, and given that it is a cold, dark winter night here in Alaska and I have nothing better to do.

Herewith are three (of many, many possible) variations:
    1) a relatively "straight" version from PS6
    2) a version tweaked in Nik AnalogEfex (my first go round with this plugin/filter)
    3) a version tweaked with Nik SilverEfex

All from the same original image shot with a Canon 7D and 50mm f1.4 lens. Northern Air Cargo Douglas DC-6.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I dig the analog FX treatment on that metal engine housing. I just started playing around with it as well -

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Canon fans, I've just joined your ranks with a new 6D and Sigma 35mm f1.4 as my first lens. This is my first DSLR, ever. And my first SLR since I sold a Leica R4sP in 1988 for an M6 which I had until Leica kept whining that a digital M was impossible (and so I reluctantly sold everything off--big mistake). It is also my first Canon since a beloved Ftb I had in college back in 1975.

In the post film era, I've had a Digilux 2, Contax Digital T, GR III and Panasonic LX3 and recently a Panasonic G1 and Sigma DP2M. The G1 was pretty good actually. I liked the compact size and weight. But I wanted a bit more, image wise. The DP2 Merrill gave me IQ in spades but its AF and ISO limitations left a lot to be desired. Interestingly, in BW it does quite well up to ISO 3200 but it requires a little tweaking with their image processing software. I still have it, though.

This year I was determined to get a FF. And boy what a year it was. So many designs, so many choices. I found myself flipping back and forth among many desirous potential makes and models. But each had plusses and minuses that I had to consider. And no sooner was I sold on one than I'd read something or see an image that made me think twice again and I'd start to salivate over some other design, only to return to a previous decision when some other consideration rose to the fore in my decision process.

I liked the D600 but the oil issue was a concern. The D610 SEEMS to have solved that but there have been some reports of the problem returning. Plus as I mentioned in another thread the camera was a just a touch too chubby for my liking and, unlike many, I wasn't wild about the over abundance of buttons and dials. I preferred things that were more spartan.

The 6D was on the radar but because of the ho-hum reaction in light of the D600 at the time, I kinda dismissed it as a candidate.

I looked at Sony's RX1 and RX1r as possible candidates for several reasons: (1) it was very compact, (2) it was very quiet (which I really like in a camera), (3) it had a fixed 35mm f2 Zeiss lens--the FOV of preference since my M6 and R4sP days when I had a Contax 139 Quartz prior to my getting the R4sP I REALLY was quite impressed with Zeiss' approach to rendering an image. But the price was a major point of hesitation and I knew I would want the EVF. When I played with a model at a Sony store I found the brief lag in the EVF after taking a shot a bit disconcerting. The store also had the new A7 and A7r on hand which in addition to being a touch noisier than I was expecting also had the "EVF" lag the RX1 had. I did however really like the form factors of all three cameras. The 35mm f2.8 was a bit slower than I'd like but it certainly was compact and quite sharp.

Finally there was Nikon's new Df which while it had a fantastic sensor seemed to be a bit ho-hum everywhere else. That's when I started to re-examine the Canon 6D.

It, too, was a low light demon. It's shutter I concluded was pretty quiet. VERY quiet in fact. The body, while certainly not compact like the latest Sony E-SLR's didn't feel all that massively bulky like the typical DSLR's (it's about the same size and mass as the Df but with a far better grip). DR has come up as a possible achilles heel but I have to say while it certainly doesn't have the DR of some of the latest Sony sensors (Nikon and Sony), according to the venerable DxO the DR is about the same as the equally venerable A900. An old camera for sure but one that wowed many with it's prowess in the DR dept. 12.4 eV while not 13 or 14.1 territory is no slouch! Certainly capable for my needs.

Finally, there is the surprise of the 6D's built-in wi-fi. With the EOS iPhone App (also available for Android) I suddenly have a more-than-simply articulating LCD (actually a completely detachable LCD) I also have full control by remote up to 300 feet away!

So I pulled the trigger and bought the 6D along with Sigma's fantastic 35mm f1.4 DG (FF) lens. What a combo! IQ is astounding up to 6400. It is quiet enough that it won't disturb a child during a light nap. While it certainly has some heft (with the Sigma attached), I bought the fantastic BlackRapid 'body strap' that lets the camera hang by my side with very little fatigue but due to its ingenious sliding can be pulled to the ready in a fraction of a second.

The controls are superb. The camera is very fluid to operate. The AF while not nearly as elaborate as some other cameras is pretty accurate (as is the metering) and the Sigma is lightning quick and VERY silent.

The wi-fi is incredibly easy to use. I find taking surreptitious shots in public places while appearing to txt someone along with the shockingly silent shutter makes it a great stealth camera.

And while I had gotten quite happy with the EVF of the G1 seeing the world through an OVF again was a fresh revelation. (In fact I used the G1 just prior to the 6D's arrival and a camera that once seemed substantial suddenly seemed like a toy. (The DP2M still has a nice heft.)

The camera arrived the day before my son, his wife and my grandson arrived from Belgium. He is an 'early music' musician and, after seeing his photo in a program at a concert at a church where he performed in Wilmington, DE I realized he needed to have a much better head shot. 6D to the rescue.

Below are some shots of my son I managed to get that I hope he can use. Not sure whether I prefer the color shot or the B/W. The other is of my grandson. After having worked with many slowish cameras for a while I really can't get over the responsiveness of this camera. (I know there are others that are better, but using the 6D has been a joy.

Sorry to ramble. But I can't say enough about this woefully underrated camera.

Here are the shots of my son (ISO 400 lighting provided by a glass door):

And this one:

And now...my grandson (shot at ISO 6400):

6D with Sigma 35mm f1.4
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Post Thanks / Like

PeterB..
    Welcome aboard...I too have all your thoughts so I got all these cameras. I also bought Sigma 35 f1.4 on fx cameras.
    Here is from my old 5D3 and a very old lens 100-400L...good on day light

Post Thanks / Like

@ peterb

I congratulate you to this wonderful camera! I would have gone the same path today if I would not be in Nikon.

And while I also love shooting my EM1 and XE2 - which I like both - the responsiveness of good DSLRs (where the 6D is one of them) is always a relief after being stuck with all electronic live view etc.

Have fun!
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

congrats Peter. By the way as far as I understand the DR of Canon is maybe not up to Nikon, but this is only the case at lower Iso.
    Enjoy your new Camera.
    tom

Shelby Lewis

@ peterB... just FYI, I'm also an early music musician like your son... but a trumpeter (Natural and Baroque trumpets). Funny how these two small worlds collide on this forum.

Welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Trusty 5d2 with a brand new 24-70 f2.8 L II

Lonely Travels by RickrPhoto, on Flickr
    Rick Rose
    www.RickrPhoto.com
    HasselPhase

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@MarkK...Thanks for the welcome. Great shot of your boy!

@Ptomsu...thanks. You're absolutely right...both Nikon and Canon DSLR's are stellar and as I'm re-discovering...there's NOTHING like the responsiveness of a DSLR. Having a lightning quick focus and shutter is just fantastic. No lag on capture or the VF.

@Tom...Yeah I noticed the crossover in DR around ISO 400-1600 and then the cameras never look back. The high ISO IQ is simply stellar.

Hi Shelby...wow! Small world, indeed! My son plays Sackbut but also string drum and recorder. He's based in Belgium but works with a group out of Philadelphia called Piffaro. Have you heard of them? Where do you perform?

This thread is waaaaaaaaay behind similar threads on the Nikon, Leica, mFt and Sony. I'm going to do my part to boost representation.

So here are some shots I took in the Maryland horse country after the snow storm we just got.

The Sigma is nothing short of phenomenal!

Enjoy!

Wilburrrrrrrr....it's friggin' cold!

This is my spot, dammit!

Shootout at the bokeh corral.

"Okay...how do they expect me to get out now?

INCOMING!!!!!!!

Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Couple pictures from Mini Classic.

Post Thanks / Like

70-200 f2.8 IS with X pro TC/extender 1.7

Post Thanks / Like

trying out the new 120-300

Post Thanks / Like

a local

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Convention Centre on the edge of Dal Lake, Srinagar, Kashmir. Probably the best (in terms of location) but least used conv. centre in the world.

Rupinder

Post Thanks / Like

More from my 70-200 plus X pro TCon

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to PeterB to motivate me to give the Sigma 35/1.4 a try...I have the feeling this could very well become my favorite lens for the Canon.

(again pbase doesnt show the images as sharp as I see it on my computer...sorry for that)

Shelby Lewis

Some work from this week... 60D. All these shot in the subject's living room, either with window light/reflector or a Godox v850 (love that flash!) in an umbrella box.

Cheers!
    Shelby
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

When the evening comes in Black Forest, Germany winter world:

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi -- 5DIII 85 1.2 1/640 f5.6 iso 800

Philip
    www.pg-pg.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shots today, 1DX + Hasselblad 60mm[first shot] CF or Hasselblad 150mm CF [second/third and last]

Tareq
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi

Black and White Anguish
    5DIII 85 1.2mm iso 200 f2.2 1/100 sec

Philip
    www.pg-pg.com

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome Shots
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

5D MKii Contax Zeiss N 24-85mm

Post Thanks / Like

Rick Rose
    www.RickrPhoto.com
    HasselPhase
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For the last several days I've had an opportunity to use a 1DX and 85mm f1.2L lens. I've always like the 1D and 1Ds series cameras. This is the first time I've seen or tried the 85/1.2. It's a beauty.

This weekend I'll be shooting the Iditarod sled dog race with an amazing variety of L series glass. Each year Canon USA ships a tremendous amount of gear to Stewarts Photo in Anchorage for an event they call "Canon Shoots the Iditarod". Those of us who are fortunate enough to get a spot on the list will be able to try just about every L series lens Canon makes, including all of the super-telephotos up to and including the 800mm.

This was just a quick snap from my office window, about 30 minutes after sunrise.

Canon 1DX and 85mm f1.2 lens at ISO 200
    Last edited by bensonga; 28th February 2014 at 19:41.

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive and equally so being at the office so early (LOL)

Seriously, I'd love that set up if only the $$$$ would allow.

Looking forward to some shots from your weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ReeRay View Post
    Impressive and equally so being at the office so early (LOL)
    Seriously, I'd love that set up if only the $$$$ would allow.
    Looking forward to some shots from your weekend.
    LOL...at this time of year, sunrise in Anchorage is at about 8 am, so not so early. We are gaining almost 6 minutes of sunlight each day now, so it feels like the worst of our dark winter is over.

On our shortest day, during the winter solstice, we have 5 hours and 27 minutes of daylight....better than living in Fairbanks, Alaska.

Today we had 10 hours and 20 minutes of daylight. On the summer solstice (June 21st), we will have 19 hours and 21 minutes.

Summer in Alaska is definitely my favorite time of year.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Being on the equator I am unfamiliar with day light changes. 12 hours on - 12 hours off, 365 days a year. Summer in Thailand is also my favourite tIme, but it has to be as it lasts 365 days per year!

What I'd give for a bit of snow!