Site Sponsors
Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: How about more and more fun with Canon...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How about more and more fun with Canon...

OK i had to reupload.. i hope they are here now

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    THe first is from Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs CO
    Canon 1Dsmk III and Zeiss 24-85
    Second from a highway driving just before sunset over towards Pikes Peak
    Canon 1DsmkIII and I believe the canon 45mm TSE

The third and fourth were from Helen Hunt Falls
    24mm TSE II

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Crap... It looks like I may in fact now *NEED* one of those new 24 TSE's!!!

Great images Mark!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Jack.. well it is hard to tell from the cropped images but i can say the new TSE is quite an improvement. While there is an improvement in CA, the corner sharpness is also improved. Canon really got their formula together on this one and I am hoping it translates into better wide angle lenses in general.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Playing around with new 5dmk II with 45 tse

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Playing around with the lowly 50mm f2.5 macro and 40D. Dying wild rose. Hand held exposure. The effective focal length of 80mm works well. Shot at f4. I was pleased with the relatively smooth tones of the OOF areas.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Crap... It looks like I may in fact now *NEED* one of those new 24 TSE's!!!

Great images Mark!
    Oh Yeah, I think I *need* one too.
    Mark, lovely shots!
    -bob

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BEAUTIFUL STUFF ladies and gentlemen, I thought I would post something as I haven't done so in awhile. Here is a new image I shot yesterday morning near my office. ....and you certainly are NOT helping me with my Canon cravings....

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Meat Pit (5D, 24L) at Hard the Eight in Stephenville, Texas.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

WOW!
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great shot John! MMMmmm.... time for lunch! <no really!>

Shelby Lewis

Hey all... new here. Just moved back to canon after a short and wonderful foray into sony-land (shooting weddings with the a900 in a canon-based studio is not to be advised )

Some of my first stuff with the 5dmkii and the lowely 85/1.8

grain added by me:

cheers!
    Shelby

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shelby I have always heard it is best to be silent than say something negative - therefore I won't comment about the images

Your a900 images always were a joy to view

Post Thanks / Like

^^Agree!!

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Tex View Post
    Shelby I have always heard it is best to be silent than say something negative - therefore I won't comment about the images

ouch....

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tex View Post

The camera does not make the shooter.

Jeff Ascough shoots exclusively with Canon and seems to do okay.

Give Shelby a little time to re-adjust guys.

Shelby Lewis

Hey all... I've got thick skin, so say what you mean to say.

I'm definitely in the middle of an adjustment period... the ergos are different... the files need quite a bit of capture sharpening (but there is a TON of detail there)... and the color isn't as crisp and separated. But I will say that from a utility standpoint, the 5Dmkii has already proven itself. It's gotten the shots I've needed, when I needed them... sometimes in ridiculously low light. For people shooting, the cams work well.

Is it the sony look, nope. I wish it were. Are the above images the best stuff I've ever shot... heavens no... but they are nice, money-making images. A happy couple (as well as very uptight, lol) in love.

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    The camera does not make the shooter.

Jeff Ascough shoots exclusively with Canon and seems to do okay.

Give Shelby a little time to re-adjust guys.
    Jeff is easily my favorite wedding shooter. I'm not in a situation where I control my wedding output these days... but I'll echo Marc's sentiment.

It's not the camera. (now I just need to get better)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    Jeff is easily my favorite wedding shooter. I'm not in a situation where I control my wedding output these days... but I'll echo Marc's sentiment.

It's not the camera. (now I just need to get better)
    Shelby,

Glad you are back posting your great work and providing us with your multi platform user experiences.
    You are definitely a much better photographer than most of the people here no matter which camera you are using and I don't think changing camera's has any effect on your great work and style. Sure the lens drawing styles between Zeiss and Canon are different and the camera color responses maybe slightly different between them but this is really nitpicking/pixel peeping stuff. Most of your non-photographer wedding couples reviewing your work will probably not even see or care about these subtle differences. They will care a lot more about your creativity, vision, and timing in capturing the moments.

Now that you are shooting Canon, I hope the wedding studio you shoot for could hook you up with some L glass like the 85L,135L, and 50L or maybe Sigma 50 which you used with the A900.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I've begun playing around with IR with my spare 1DsII. Still trying for the sweat spot for processing. All were shot late morning almost high noon.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wayne_s View Post
    Shelby,

Glad you are back posting your great work and providing us with your multi platform user experiences.
    You are definitely a much better photographer than most of the people here no matter which camera you are using and I don't think changing camera's has any effect on your great work and style. Sure the lens drawing styles between Zeiss and Canon are different and the camera color responses maybe slightly different between them but this is really nitpicking/pixel peeping stuff. Most of your non-photographer wedding couples reviewing your work will probably not even see or care about these subtle differences. They will care a lot more about your creativity, vision, and timing in capturing the moments.

Now that you are shooting Canon, I hope the wedding studio you shoot for could hook you up with some L glass like the 85L,135L, and 50L or maybe Sigma 50 which you used with the A900.
    Shelby,

I'd like to echo Wayne's remarks (and Marc's).

My first thought when I saw the first image of the couple walking the path was that the white balance is a bit blue or something. I'm not on my good display though, so can't really tell. I'm traveling and using a laptop with iffy colors. Even so, the color is obviously a bit different than I'm used to seeing (as a Canon shooter). I'm sure clients rarely, if ever, see the stuff that we do, and happy clients is what matters most.

You produced some fantastic images with the Sony kit, and I'm sure that you'll find the right post processing tools and workflow to make lots more great images with Canon kit.

(And as Wayne says, I hope that studio will provide you with some "L's" like the 135, 85, etc.)

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Rgds,

Dale

Shelby Lewis

Dale and Wayne... thanks so much for the kind words. There are comments over in the sony forum about the bluishness of the first shot.

Ok... some more from a wedding this last weekend... and a headshot thrown in for good measure.

250D closeup lens on (i think) an 85/1.8 ... not the sharpest combo, lol.

Cheers!
    Shelby

Post Thanks / Like

Jim,
    Great depth and light!
    Like the detail on the foreground stone.
    When did you go to Ankor Wat?
    I am going in the Fall for the first time.
    Just got a 17 TS-E for that trip.
    Any great places you went near by that you
    recommend?

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a shot of Stanford Memorial Church altar with my new Canon 17 TS-E lens on a 1ds3 at f9 on a tripod with MLU. This was taken with the lens horizontal and shifting up the maximum amount and I just did very minor/quick sharpening/minor processing in LR. I have also some unshifted shots along with various compensations so I can do a full HDR spliced together shot which I will process much better than this one. I had only a few minutes before getting ushered out for the next wedding.
    Jack, you really need to get this lens, lol.
    This is my first T/S lens and it rocks.

Shelby Lewis

Here is a shot of Stanford Memorial Church altar with my new Canon 17 TS-E lens on a 1ds3 at f9 on a tripod with MLU. This was taken with the lens horizontal and shifting up the maximum amount and I just did very minor/quick sharpening/minor processing in LR. I have also some unshifted shots along with various compensations so I can do a full HDR spliced together shot which I will process much better than this one. I had only a few minutes before getting ushered out for the next wedding.
    Great shot wayne... and the 17-T/S looks like a very sharp lens. Lots of detail in your pic! I've never owned a ts lens (and I'm an architect ) so it's on my list. Unfortunately they're so damned expensive and I have other priorities first with my new canon stuff. I'd love to have the 24t/s and the 90 as well.

Oh well, one of these days! Thanks for sharin'.
    Shelby

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks very good Wayne! I want one, just don't want to pay for it LOLOL! Anyway, the image looks excellent, though there is a spot of flare in the center of the roof, likely from the bright stained-glass windows -- still a very usable image, but need to watch direct light.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Looks very good Wayne! I want one, just don't want to pay for it LOLOL! Anyway, the image looks excellent, though there is a spot of flare in the center of the roof, likely from the bright stained-glass windows -- still a very usable image, but need to watch direct light.
    Jack,
    Still cheaper than some of those MF lenses.LOL.
    Yes, I noticed the flare on some other shots and it must be from the bright spot lights they had pointed downwards which affected only the shots where I shifted up into them. Here is the unshifted shot and a center crop.
    Having a large bulbous front element with no hood makes it easy to pick up flare, especially shifted up into the sun or bright ceiling spotlights.

Shelby,
    You could always rent this lens from Lensrentals.com when they get a copy of this lens. I rented a 135L from them a while back and I was very happy with the service they provided.
    Would be an incredible lens for shooting the bride,groom, and wedding party in front of the altar of a church like this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shelby, welcome to the Canon board! Although I understand that your transition to Canon was caused by circumstances rather than by choice, I have no doubt you'll continue to produce outstanding images no matter which camera system you are using. I've followed your posts and intelligent discussions with Marc and others on the Sony board with much interest, but haven't participated much myself, both for time constraints and because I don't use Sony. I did however have the a900 briefly and could compare it directly to 5D2 and Nikon D3, and while it produced excellent files, I was struck more with the similarities than the differences between these cameras. This is a vast subject of course where choice of optics, RAW converter, PP etc. all influence the final outcome. Hopefully, once you've settled in, you'll find that Canon has some advantages too

Wayne, that 17mm TS looks sweet, does the sharpness hold up into the corners when shifted? Or to put it another way, how much do you need to stop down to get good corner sharpness?
    I own all three classic TS lenses in the Canon range, but not yet the 17mm or the new 24mm. I've had the new 1,4/24mmL for some months now and it is a stellar performer, both re. resolution and micro-contrast. So Canon is spoiling us for choice in the WA segment, who would have thought that LOL.
    Looking forward to more posts from the 17mm. Seems you've got a great copy (or have Canon finally tightened QC ? )

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are a few shots from Cannes on the 14th. of July, the day the French Republic celebrates itself. I've never been much of a street photographer (to put it mildly) but with everyone taking pictures left and right, I thought I'd join the fun The only lens I had with me was the 2/35mm Zeiss ZF, attached to my 5D2 with adapter. This meant not only manual focusing, but also manual stop down. Why make it easy
    Last edited by Arne Hvaring; 8th January 2010 at 13:59.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And later, the fireworks. This year by an Italian team, showing a poetic and unusually restrained performance.
    All taken with 5D2 and 2/90mm Apo-Summicron.

Post Thanks / Like

Arne,
    Nice firework shots with the APO 90, love the Leica colors as always.
    I need to try shooting some next year with my 100 APO or 180 APO.
    Yeah, the Zeiss 35 is not easy to focus for people shooting especially wide open but I love the colors and contrast from this sharp lens.

Ok, here is a quick snap of a wedding party I took yesterday while passing by.
    This is of course non-ideal shooting time for wedding shots as it was in the noon-time bright California sun. Just wanted to show what the Sony-Zeiss ZA 135 1.8 I converted for my 1ds3 can do. My 85L definitely struggles more in this bright lighting as it tends to blow out the highlights alot more than the Zeiss lens.

Shelby Lewis

Wayne... I had no idea the zeiss lenses held highlights better... neat finding. If I felt more confident with my manual focussing, I surely would have kept the 135/1.8. Thanks for the insights.

Here are a couple of snaps of my two oldest kids taken in the kitchen about twenty minutes ago... north facing french doors for light:

My girl:

and one of my boys:

god... I love shooting faces

cheers!
    shelby

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice portraits Shelby, the first one is really lovely.

Wayne, re. converting the 1,8/135 Zeiss to Canon mount. Now that's an idea. I have the Canon 2/135L, but in spite of all the good press, this lens has never thrilled me. How complicated is the conversion, and how good is the manual focus of the Zeiss? Any idea if the lens can be converted to Nikon mount?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jacqui and Gina

-bob

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Shelby! Love the soft lighting and the sharpness of your daughter's eyes in the first shot. Well done. Canon 85 1.4? And what great faces you have to shoot.
    John Black at Pebble Place is the one who mentioned this about the 85L wanting to blow out skies when taking portraits outside and is why he preferred zeiss 85 1.4 and 100 f2 planar.And I noticed it too while shooting family portraits outside with my 85L.

Arne,
    The ZA 85 1.8 has a nice manual focus ring with only a slight bit of play in it. The problem is that the lens has no aperture ring so right now I have to wedge a piece cardboard into where the aperture level is in the back of the lens. I usually shoot with this lens either wide open or only slightly stopped down to f2-f2.8 range and am not changing aperture much with this lens. I may send this lens to S.K. Grimes to get this lens converted with some sort of aperture level incorporated if they can do it. Right now I am enjoying my conversion done at home by removing the sony lens bayonet mount and replacing it with a redrilled nikon-eos adapter mount which was thin enough to still achieve infinity focus since the difference between Sony A mount Canon mount is 0.5mm. I was also able to put a focus confirm chip on it with the 135 1.8 info preprogrammed which helps with the exposure metering and of course is nice to have in the exif information of the shot.
    Also, to answer your earlier question about the TS-E 17, it seems have surprisingly good sharpness across the frame at f4 but I need to take more shots with it to really confirm that. I also want to to do some lens comparison shots with TS-E 17 against my Nikon 14-24 and my old 16-35mk1 which I never liked and never shoot with any more since it was also soft in the corners and my 14-24 is so much better.The other things I have noticed from my very brief time shooting with the 17 is that it seems to have alot less distortion, even near the edges of the frame. The other thing which I said earlier is that this lens tends to flare when shifted up and into the sun or into bright spot lights shining down from the ceiling. There is no lens shade.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob,
    Stunning! I mean your shot. No the girls. Ok,both!
    Well done. Incredible piercing eyes on these women.
    What lens and camera?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Wayne.
    5DII and 24-105 f/4 at 105mm and f/4; 1/20 hand-held ISO 400
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wayne, thank you for the info re. the 17mm TS. I might "need" that lens too...
    Concerning the 1,8/135 (assuming the "85mm" in your post was a slip of the fingers) there is of course the problem of aperture control. With the small difference in mount, it is difficult to envisage a solution like the Mark Welsh (hubsand) adapter that I use on the Nikkor 14-24 zoom. Removing the original mount would give enough space, but given the small demand, it's probably unlikely that anyone could make it commercially viable. Remains Grimes et.al. to custom adapt the lens. If you go that route, I'd be interested to see the result and learn the price.

Bob, wonderful portrait, great light, girls no doubt happy with this shot...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wayne, Shelby and Bob, GREAT shots guys!!!
    Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Taken with a G10

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don, nice shot with impressive level of detail!
    Your image has inspired me to post some recent G-10 shots.
    Here are three from Spain.

Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A candid I took of a good friends daughter...
    Last edited by Mike Hatam; 28th July 2009 at 08:38.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mike, PERFECT pose! What lens?
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jack. 85L II
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I really wish there was an IS version of that lens so I could stop it down in marginal conditions when I wanted more DOF
    -bob
    Last edited by Bob; 28th July 2009 at 09:13.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

With Canon's recent announcement of their new IS mechanism, they are hinting that they'll be upgrading/adding IS to new lenses starting soon. I've heard rumors of 24-70 IS, and 400/5.6 IS. Also have been hearing rumors of a redesigned 70-200/2.8 IS, and 100-400 IS.

Maybe we'll get lucky, Bob, and get a new 85L III IS
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 24-70/2.8, 400/5.6 and 100-400(especially) and 70-200/2.8 all are due an update.
    The 85 is a lovely lens, and having the flexibility of hand holding it at around f/4 and 1/20 sec would be a real treat.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hatam View Post
    Thanks Jack. 85L II
    Yeah, thought so... Now I need to get that one too dammit.

As for IS, I doubt I'd ever shoot that lens anywhere but wide open
    Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If they bring out a new version of the 70-200L f2.8 even if it's just the 4 stop IS from the f4L, I'll buy it, pretty much whatever the cost. I'd be happier with that than upgrading to a mkII methinks.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mike, what a lovely image, perfect timing.