The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Canon...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Dale,
I know what you mean, but he WAS plastic or maybe painted plaster LOL
-bob

Jeremy

4"x6" platinum / palladium print on vellum subsequently dry mounted to watercolor paper and waxed.

Canon 1Ds Mk2n with Nikon AiS 50mm f/1.2.

Terry

LJ - the polo shot looks great. When you say long lens, what do you consider long?

p.s. I'm not a vegetarian :p

LJL

LJ - the polo shot looks great. When you say long lens, what do you consider long?

p.s. I'm not a vegetarian :p
Terry,
The polo shot was taken with a 400mm f2.8L IS. I would like to work with the 600mm f4L IS for some of this, but I manage to get pretty decent results on the 1.3x crop of the 1DMkII (520mm) and adding a 1.4x telextender at times to get a 730mm f4, give or take a few mm ;) I like to shoot pretty wide open to get the isolation, and the 400/2.8L IS is perfect for this kind of work.....but it is a beast to tote around :eek:

A polo field is 300m long by 150m wide, or approximately the size of 9 football fields, so the area to cover is quite large, and those horses get moving at 30-35mph in full gallop when running down a shot. I usually shoot with the 400 on one body, a 70-200 on another, and a 24-70 on a third body so that I can get action far and near. (I sort of chuckle when I read about folks complaining about a heavy camera bag....try lugging three 1-series bodies with that glass plus batteries, monopod and flash for the awards stuff after a match in the 90 degree temps down here in Houston!)

LJ

P.S. The Asado type BBQ is a near ritual among the Argentine polo players and their grooms, meaning 2-3 of these per week after a big match. Lots of protein for sure.

Last edited:

LJL

Dynamic, wonderful polo shot. I suppose you need all the speed you can get, not 5D territory.
Thanks, Arne. I have never tried to shoot this sort of stuff with a 5D. There is a pretty high demand on AF speed for starters, and the 1-series bodies seem to have more than a bit of an edge over the 5D/5DII. Then there is the shutter lag....never an issue with the 1-series, and maybe not now with the 5DII, but was a problem with the 5D for some shooters. Lastly, there is a the fps speed, and although I rarely fire more than a burst of 2-3 frames, the time between frames is what matters. So when folks say 4-5fps is plenty fast, I disagree, since it is not about shooting 4-5 frames in one second but shooting 2 frames in 1/6 of second that matters more. Finally, the lens speed really makes a difference also. To feed the fast AF of the camera, you need f2.8 glass for the most part on this sort of shooting. I even have a Sigma 120-300 f2.8, but it's AF is just not fast enough for keeping up with my shooting. Sometimes speed does matter ;-)

LJ

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
My biggest beefs about the 5D2 are:
1) rotating mode switch needs a lock other than the strip of gaffer's tape I am now using
2) lens caps are terrible since they are edge pinch. Can't get them on or off with hoods on unless you have very thin fingers. I am using Nikon center pinch caps instead.

As for the viewfinder, 98% is fine for me, I often am grateful for the bit at the edges for straightening.
If you want to complain about shutter lag, then have a MF back and a cambo or Phamiya as your "other" camera, or even an M8, it is not bad at all, but having owned a D3 for a short while, I understand what you are talking about.
-bob

Arne Hvaring

Bob, I'm surprised at your complaint about the rotating mode wheel. Mine is rather stiff and snaps decisively into position, I don't think I've ever accidentally moved it. Perhaps yours can be repaired/thightened?

As for the viewfinder I guess it is much a question of habit. Having used exclusively cameras with 100% coverage (1Ds, D3) lately, it's a bit upsetting not knowing precisely where the image begins or ends.