The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Canon...

pesto

Shelby,
These are very nice images. I find that the 85 f/1.8 to be a great lens. I got mine after I sold my 1.2 II and have never looked back.
DAB.

S

Shelby Lewis

Shelby,
These are very nice images. I find that the 85 f/1.8 to be a great lens. I got mine after I sold my 1.2 II and have never looked back.
DAB.
It is a nice lens... and thanks for the kind words! I have to admit, though... I don't care for the "look" of it that much. It's sharp, bokeh is "nice", and af is quick... but it lacks a certain "zing" that the 85/1.2 (and the zeiss lenses) possess.

For the money, however, it is remarkable. I use it a TON.

I was actually beginning to get rid of all my canon stuff, but am thinking of holding onto it to do some more wedding work while in school these next few years... and one of the things I'm wrestling with is whether to keep the 85/1.8 (actually the real question is whether I trust the 5Dii AF enough at f/1.2... :mad:)

A few more... the men's shirts hadn't come back from the printers, so these are "blanks" that the designs are going to have to be superimposed upon digitally.

Thanks!

pesto

I do like your work even though we work in very different areas...some of my images are posted above. My 85 f/1.2 had so much chromatic aberration as to be essentially useless before f/ 2.2 or 2.8. I do a lot of pet photography, mostly cats, and found that people are not at all amused by purple and green whiskers...' guess they just have no sense of humor! By the way, my adventures with the 1.2 were all with a 1Ds Mk III and I have never shot with a 5D so I am of no help there. Have you considered the 135 f/2.0. In my hands, it has proven to be a vastly superior lens.

I am, myself, in the process of selling all of my Canon gear and buying into the PhaseOne system, if I can work "things" out and must say that the 135 and 180 Macro are the only two items that I believe I will miss...maybe its just a "phase" I am going through.

S

Shelby Lewis

LOL... I TOTALLY get where you are coming from. Purple whiskers are ssoooo 1980's :D

Yeah, the 35/1.4 was exactly the same... I loved that lens, but in strong backlight wide-open the color fringing was, um, let's say... vivid? :eek:

If my wife and I (and our three kids!) weren't going back to college this fall, I would be selling ALL my canon off at the end of July and getting straight into an RZ system and maybe a DF... but in talking to her, we've decided that the wedding work is a bit too nice (money-wise) to drop just yet given our downsizing.

As it stands, I'm still gonna get a used RZii this summer and probably pick up an older back (probably original p25 if I can find one) in august for personal work... I'm just not going to go all out.

Thanks for the kindness!

S

Shelby Lewis

if I can work "things" out and must say that the 135 and 180 Macro are the only two items that I believe I will miss...maybe its just a "phase" I am going through.
BTW... is that 135mm for sale?

Scott G

Will, these are really great. Keep taking your 5D out!

These are nowhere near as scenic, but today I stumbled across a good portion of a city block being demolished :eek:

m_driscoll

Ashwin: Thought, I'd check out what's happening over here on the Dark Side. :eek: :shocked: You could have shot the UW Women's Crew with a Leica? :LOL: Nice work, this and the post, earlier. :salute:

Will/Scott/Mark: Nice work! :thumbup::thumbs:

I'll now go back to where i belong. Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Helena

Wow, great shots Scott and Dave! Hmmm... I think I'll have to try and go whale watching soon. Fortunately, one can do that here in Norway too (sperm whales and orcas (yes, I know orcas aren't whales :) ), and if you're lucky you can see other species too).

A few from my beloved 35L: