The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Canon...

dmeckert

picked up a canon 5D yesterday. i'm a nikon shooter, but i've always been curious about it. i think of it as sort of a landmark camera, for what it accomplished and represented. it was too good a deal, and i'm currently transitioning nikon bodies (d700 --> ???).

went out with a model i met recently to test out the camera, have a little fun, and bulk up his portfolio a little.

i'm AMAZED primarily at how different it is working with canon files. it's like speaking a different language. ISO 1600 is pretty impressive for a camera released when it was...nowhere near d700 level imho, but very good none the less. the canon files have a different rendering as well...i'm using a 50/1.8 version 1 (SO MUCH DISTORTION, but otherwise awesome). AF isn't as anything as bad as it would seem from the way people talk.

anywho...enough blabbering. photos:

all shot at ISO 1600, f/2.8, and between 1/60 and 1/125. color graded, but not retouched.

jusu

All seems to have jumped to nikon section but i will continue posting still here pictures taken with canon even im going jump mf club.

dmeckert

The school I teach at was changing light fixtures in the gym. I saw the huge white parabolic shells just laying there, ready to br recycled into pencil sharpeners or something, and something clicked. So I rescued a couple. Had a buddy who does metal work modify them to take a balcar/PCB mount.

Here's the beast:

And here's the light it throws:

Photo, apart from crop and 3 zits removed, is straight out of the camera (5Dc + LR3 with no adjustments). I'm completely smitten.

dmeckert

Nice Daves. Great idea. How about a pic of the back of "the beast.

:D

as far as attachment, it's just got four screws with washers clamping on a standard speedring mount adapter...similar to the mola adapters. i plan on sanding the outside and painting it a semi-matte black.

In the ground is a diffusion panel of some sort. Softens the specular highlights a bit, but retains a very similar feel.

Last edited: