The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Canon...

onesickpuppy

Well....I'd like to play.....love my Canon's
Currently its time to see Eagles migrating in the area for a few weeks.
Here is a recent capture

onesickpuppy

Thanks Lloyd....we had pockets of light and I was able to time that one when it was in a pocket....it sucked that that was full frame...and clipped the wings :angry:

Mark K

Wonderful..I have been struggling in getting a 400 2.8L vs 600 f4 because 400's price is really attractive. How is the AF speed when using 2.0 TC III

onesickpuppy

I will admit that on other forums...I'm known for being the 400 campaigner!!
I shoot mostly motorsports..and then wildlife...and other things....so I really take advantage that I have 3 lenses in one:
400 @ 2.8 awesome bokeh!!
560 @ 4 sweet and SHARP TOO
800 @ 5.6 DITTO!!!

With the 2x on (and I use the vs III) in good light...I don't really see the drop off of AF speed that others claim....it still is fast and accurate. But then as light diminishes, it will hunt for focus and be slower....but my 70-200 does the same!!! Granted...using the 1.4 seems like there isn't a TC in between...but I don't see HUGE difference with the 2x on.

That above image is with the 2x on it :)

If your using the vs II TC's....you can actually double stack them....just have to place the 1.4 on the body first, then the 2x...due to the glass is right at the mount edge on the 1.4......but the new versions won't stack due to new design changes :(
Then your focus speed does drop..but normally I only did that under great light...and to me it was still fast enough for most action shots.

I used the new 600 for some Hydro races over Labor day weekend...and found that it wasn't as solid at "locking in" as my 400 is. But I have also heard that of all the new VS II glass. It seems that Canon has "over rev'ed" the focus systems...and they tend to lurch more attempting to find focus. I feel that I missed about 30% of what could have been great shots due to lens lurching for focus when it was already focused.

Again...can't say enough of the ability to START at 400...and go all the way to 800...within seconds (time to change TC's). Hard to go backward from 600 when its not there. :)

Granted...with the 600...if your using a body that supports the newest firmware that allows F8 use....then WOW....1200mm is cool!!! The hydro boat is at 1200mm on a 5DMKIII....snowy owl...400 + 2x......as well as this eagle shot.

Lloyd

We have the new 500, and it's truly sweet! And amazingly light. I don't know exactly what it weighs, but it seems like it's about half the weight of the 600! I love our 400/2.8, but in truth, my real fav is the 300/2.8. Wicked sharp, fast focus, and I love how it draws.

onesickpuppy

Yes Lloyd...if you have the version 1 of the 500 compared to the version 1 600...major weight savings
The new 600 vs II is about the same weight as your 500.....very hand holdable :)

Lloyd

I've heard that, and we talked about getting the VSII 600, but I can't quite convince the family bean counter! ;)

bensonga

I think we all enjoy processing images in different ways. Most of us would probably agree that there isn't one "right" way. There are many variations, depending on what we want to convey.

So with that in mind, and given that it is a cold, dark winter night here in Alaska and I have nothing better to do.

Herewith are three (of many, many possible) variations:
1) a relatively "straight" version from PS6
2) a version tweaked in Nik AnalogEfex (my first go round with this plugin/filter)
3) a version tweaked with Nik SilverEfex

All from the same original image shot with a Canon 7D and 50mm f1.4 lens. Northern Air Cargo Douglas DC-6.

Gary

peterb

Hi Canon fans, I've just joined your ranks with a new 6D and Sigma 35mm f1.4 as my first lens. This is my first DSLR, ever. And my first SLR since I sold a Leica R4sP in 1988 for an M6 which I had until Leica kept whining that a digital M was impossible (and so I reluctantly sold everything off--big mistake). It is also my first Canon since a beloved Ftb I had in college back in 1975.

In the post film era, I've had a Digilux 2, Contax Digital T, GR III and Panasonic LX3 and recently a Panasonic G1 and Sigma DP2M. The G1 was pretty good actually. I liked the compact size and weight. But I wanted a bit more, image wise. The DP2 Merrill gave me IQ in spades but its AF and ISO limitations left a lot to be desired. Interestingly, in BW it does quite well up to ISO 3200 but it requires a little tweaking with their image processing software. I still have it, though.

This year I was determined to get a FF. And boy what a year it was. So many designs, so many choices. I found myself flipping back and forth among many desirous potential makes and models. But each had plusses and minuses that I had to consider. And no sooner was I sold on one than I'd read something or see an image that made me think twice again and I'd start to salivate over some other design, only to return to a previous decision when some other consideration rose to the fore in my decision process.

I liked the D600 but the oil issue was a concern. The D610 SEEMS to have solved that but there have been some reports of the problem returning. Plus as I mentioned in another thread the camera was a just a touch too chubby for my liking and, unlike many, I wasn't wild about the over abundance of buttons and dials. I preferred things that were more spartan.

The 6D was on the radar but because of the ho-hum reaction in light of the D600 at the time, I kinda dismissed it as a candidate.

I looked at Sony's RX1 and RX1r as possible candidates for several reasons: (1) it was very compact, (2) it was very quiet (which I really like in a camera), (3) it had a fixed 35mm f2 Zeiss lens--the FOV of preference since my M6 and R4sP days when I had a Contax 139 Quartz prior to my getting the R4sP I REALLY was quite impressed with Zeiss' approach to rendering an image. But the price was a major point of hesitation and I knew I would want the EVF. When I played with a model at a Sony store I found the brief lag in the EVF after taking a shot a bit disconcerting. The store also had the new A7 and A7r on hand which in addition to being a touch noisier than I was expecting also had the "EVF" lag the RX1 had. I did however really like the form factors of all three cameras. The 35mm f2.8 was a bit slower than I'd like but it certainly was compact and quite sharp.

Finally there was Nikon's new Df which while it had a fantastic sensor seemed to be a bit ho-hum everywhere else. That's when I started to re-examine the Canon 6D.

It, too, was a low light demon. It's shutter I concluded was pretty quiet. VERY quiet in fact. The body, while certainly not compact like the latest Sony E-SLR's didn't feel all that massively bulky like the typical DSLR's (it's about the same size and mass as the Df but with a far better grip). DR has come up as a possible achilles heel but I have to say while it certainly doesn't have the DR of some of the latest Sony sensors (Nikon and Sony), according to the venerable DxO the DR is about the same as the equally venerable A900. An old camera for sure but one that wowed many with it's prowess in the DR dept. 12.4 eV while not 13 or 14.1 territory is no slouch! Certainly capable for my needs.

Finally, there is the surprise of the 6D's built-in wi-fi. With the EOS iPhone App (also available for Android) I suddenly have a more-than-simply articulating LCD (actually a completely detachable LCD) I also have full control by remote up to 300 feet away!

So I pulled the trigger and bought the 6D along with Sigma's fantastic 35mm f1.4 DG (FF) lens. What a combo! IQ is astounding up to 6400. It is quiet enough that it won't disturb a child during a light nap. While it certainly has some heft (with the Sigma attached), I bought the fantastic BlackRapid 'body strap' that lets the camera hang by my side with very little fatigue but due to its ingenious sliding can be pulled to the ready in a fraction of a second.

The controls are superb. The camera is very fluid to operate. The AF while not nearly as elaborate as some other cameras is pretty accurate (as is the metering) and the Sigma is lightning quick and VERY silent.

The wi-fi is incredibly easy to use. I find taking surreptitious shots in public places while appearing to txt someone along with the shockingly silent shutter makes it a great stealth camera.

And while I had gotten quite happy with the EVF of the G1 seeing the world through an OVF again was a fresh revelation. (In fact I used the G1 just prior to the 6D's arrival and a camera that once seemed substantial suddenly seemed like a toy. (The DP2M still has a nice heft.)

The camera arrived the day before my son, his wife and my grandson arrived from Belgium. He is an 'early music' musician and, after seeing his photo in a program at a concert at a church where he performed in Wilmington, DE I realized he needed to have a much better head shot. 6D to the rescue.

Below are some shots of my son I managed to get that I hope he can use. Not sure whether I prefer the color shot or the B/W. The other is of my grandson. After having worked with many slowish cameras for a while I really can't get over the responsiveness of this camera. (I know there are others that are better, but using the 6D has been a joy.

Sorry to ramble. But I can't say enough about this woefully underrated camera.

Here are the shots of my son (ISO 400 lighting provided by a glass door):

And this one:

And now...my grandson (shot at ISO 6400):

6D with Sigma 35mm f1.4

Mark K

PeterB..
Welcome aboard...I too have all your thoughts so I got all these cameras. I also bought Sigma 35 f1.4 on fx cameras.
Here is from my old 5D3 and a very old lens 100-400L...good on day light

ptomsu

Workshop Member
@ peterb

I congratulate you to this wonderful camera! I would have gone the same path today if I would not be in Nikon.

And while I also love shooting my EM1 and XE2 - which I like both - the responsiveness of good DSLRs (where the 6D is one of them) is always a relief after being stuck with all electronic live view etc.

Have fun!

Paratom

congrats Peter. By the way as far as I understand the DR of Canon is maybe not up to Nikon, but this is only the case at lower Iso.
Enjoy your new Camera.
tom

S

Shelby Lewis

@ peterB... just FYI, I'm also an early music musician like your son... but a trumpeter (Natural and Baroque trumpets). Funny how these two small worlds collide on this forum.

Welcome!

peterb

@MarkK...Thanks for the welcome. Great shot of your boy!

@Ptomsu...thanks. You're absolutely right...both Nikon and Canon DSLR's are stellar and as I'm re-discovering...there's NOTHING like the responsiveness of a DSLR. Having a lightning quick focus and shutter is just fantastic. No lag on capture or the VF.

@Tom...Yeah I noticed the crossover in DR around ISO 400-1600 and then the cameras never look back. The high ISO IQ is simply stellar.

Hi Shelby...wow! Small world, indeed! My son plays Sackbut but also string drum and recorder. He's based in Belgium but works with a group out of Philadelphia called Piffaro. Have you heard of them? Where do you perform?

This thread is waaaaaaaaay behind similar threads on the Nikon, Leica, mFt and Sony. I'm going to do my part to boost representation.

So here are some shots I took in the Maryland horse country after the snow storm we just got.

The Sigma is nothing short of phenomenal!

Enjoy!

Wilburrrrrrrr....it's friggin' cold!

This is my spot, dammit!

Shootout at the bokeh corral.

"Okay...how do they expect me to get out now?

INCOMING!!!!!!!