The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Canon...

Ben Rubinstein

I really like the top one and I don't like flower pics! The tones work very very well. To be honest I love the feel of the image due to the lighting and tonality and screw the subject, it could be anything that would work with that lighting and colour. Is the 2nd one just a variation in processing?

mark1958

HI Ben These were two different shots.. slightly different angle and lighting. However, I think I might have used slightly different WB on the second. I agree I like the first one more.
I have to say though Dolce's flower picture is better looking.. :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mark: I have to agree, I like the first better too -- a bit differently lit and I prefer the WB even if it isn't as accurate.

Dolce: AWESOME composition, and the fact the model has such stunning eyes doesn't hurt either ;)

mark1958

Wow.. i am glad i started something-- flower scheme.. Jack thanks for the comments. I like the light on the first one better as well. John that flower looks like a light bulb :)

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Chaplin - Shot during a reenactment at the grave of CSA General Albert Sidney Johnston in the Texas State Cemetery

Canon 5D, 70-200L IS f/2.8

Arne Hvaring

Great shots, Greg. Much better (actually perfect) merge of the foreground water than in the first image posted (on the Nikon forum) I suppose it is related to the (much) longer exposure. Which camera did you use for these images?

Greg Seitz

Great shots, Greg. Much better (actually perfect) merge of the foreground water than in the first image posted (on the Nikon forum) I suppose it is related to the (much) longer exposure. Which camera did you use for these images?
Thanks! I think you're probably right about the water since the longer exposure smooths things out. It also helps that there was a lot less boat traffic at night than during the day which contributed to the differences in the day shot.

I shot this on a Canon T1i (500D). I would have preferred to use the Nikon but they turn off the 2 second self timer after each shot and with the gigapan setup you definitely need those 2 seconds to let things settle on long exposure shots. I also learned during this shoot that using a lens hood makes for a nice sail and shifts the camera all over the place. Needless to say I took it off for these two that I posted.

Greg

Arne Hvaring

Thanks! I think you're probably right about the water since the longer exposure smooths things out. It also helps that there was a lot less boat traffic at night than during the day which contributed to the differences in the day shot.

I shot this on a Canon T1i (500D). I would have preferred to use the Nikon but they turn off the 2 second self timer after each shot and with the gigapan setup you definitely need those 2 seconds to let things settle on long exposure shots. I also learned during this shoot that using a lens hood makes for a nice sail and shifts the camera all over the place. Needless to say I took it off for these two that I posted.

Greg
I have no experience with either of those cameras, but why would you prefer the Nikon to the Canon 500D? The MLU function was used on the 500D for these shots I assume?

Greg Seitz

I have no experience with either of those cameras, but why would you prefer the Nikon to the Canon 500D? The MLU function was used on the 500D for these shots I assume?
Yes, mirror lockup - actually shot out of live view mode which automatically locks up the mirror due to the electronic first curtain on the Canon. The Nikon has a psuedo mirror lockup mode where it flips up the mirror, delays 1 second and then shoots but the 1 second time isn't always enough to let things settle.

Between the two for general use I prefer the Nikon for a couple of reasons. The Nikon has a quieter shutter in general as well as delayed shutter mode like the Leica M8.2 so it's pretty quite. For me the Nikon autofocus system is far better (i.e. I get substantially more well focused shots with it). The articulated screen is kinda fun and handy as well. Overall the Nikon is also built better in that it feels much more solid - the Canon feels more hollow and uses cheaper plastics. The Nikon is a camera that I want to use when I pick it up as it feels just right to me.

On the other hand for tripod shooting the Canons are more well thought out due to the way live view works especially on the 5D Mk II where it pretty much stays in live view mode for every shot without all the mirror flapping up and down on the Nikons. The 500D is sorta half way in between but still better than the D5000 in live view operation. The Canons also simulate the exposure on the back screen when you adjust settings which makes them really nice to use in live view mode.