The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

1Ds MK III test!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I think what you're seeing is a result of my pushshing the shadow values so aggerssively with the "fill" slider in the raw converter --- a lot of noise springs up when you do that. I do this on purpose with test images to show noise character in the shadows, but it's not something I would with a normal image...

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Jack,

I have to say you have just saved me some money here. I had been thinking about the 1DsMkIII and moving my 5D to a back up roll but now I see no reason not to just see what the 5D replacement has. Right now my 5D and M8 have been a great kit for my first two jobs for a regional magazine. So, I can stop thinking about the 1DsMkIII and think about getting more business.

Marc Wilson

Jack,

I have to say you have just saved me some money here. I had been thinking about the 1DsMkIII and moving my 5D to a back up roll but now I see no reason not to just see what the 5D replacement has. Right now my 5D and M8 have been a great kit for my first two jobs for a regional magazine. So, I can stop thinking about the 1DsMkIII and think about getting more business.
John,
That exactly the right way to look at it.
The dslr is simply a tool and if it works perfectly for your needs giving the clients you work for the image quality they need, then there is no need to 'upgrade' it to a BIGGER and 'apparently better' body.
The $$'s you do not spend are better spent elsewhere...portfolios, websites, that lens you always wanted, etc.

Marc

sisoje

Wow!
This forum looks like D3 forum on DP review more and more...
I don't know what makes people hate Canon?
All this "saving $$" because AA filter sucks, sounds so funny. Sorry.
I thought Digital Photography grew pass pixel peeping. I guess, not yet.
People, be honest: how many of Leica users were really planning to dump M gear for 1Ds III? Me including.
Yes, I have 1Ds II and Leica M8. I hope to get my 1Ds III by March... So, I am ready to get killed now...
Rant end.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Ralph and Marc great to see you both here . Thanks for coming aboard. I would love to say i can use the M8 for everything which is what i am doing right now and at times it's a struggle but I get the work done and my clients are happy but I agree there is a point you have to say WTF am i thinking of jumping on something that really does not raise the bar that much. The 1dsMKII from what i am seeing and most of you are is the gain may not be worth the pain of upgrading. Now my M8 i would love FF and 16 or 18 mpx to really get it over the top end and i think at that point no reason to go any further in 35mm but honestly guy's and girls i have no clients jumping down my throat to give them any bigger. I agree with Marc spend your money on getting the best glass you can, you can NEVER go wrong buying the best glass. that will carry you much further than any body. lets face facts it's a box with a sensor and the only real way to improve you existing sensor is add better glass to it.

I just had a forum member over yesterday and was talking about value in lenses. The first question i asked was what lens is your lens cap on the M8 and it is the 28 mm for him like it is for me. Than my reply was buy the best damn one you can get because that maybe 70 percent of what you shoot. Than i said get the 28 F2 cron which is the best 28 leica makes in my book and even if you have to buy it new than it is worth it because it will be the last lens you sell if you switched systems or something. i have been through this so many times and when you get a system there is maybe 3 lenses that you will drop dead over giving them up so put your money there the rest of the set is a set that you can buy and sell until you find something you like but put your real money on those never get rid of out of my dead cold hands.

You know we are always looking for the holy grail in bodies but honestly there is no such thing, there will always be a new one and there will always be one you like for 80 percent of what it does and the other 20 percent is worthless to you. That is just the way it is. Look at photography like this . lenses you can put in your bag forever and last until they close the lid on you , you can NEVER say that with a digital body. This 1dsMKII makes les and less sense to me when i guy is sitting on a 1dsMKII or 5d and there is not much gain at 8 k for a new one:lecture: I just stood on the box and gave you my lecture but i think it helps think like this.

Not saying the 1dsMKKII is a bad camera and not get it but what i am saying is be real careful before dropping 8k down on maybe a marginal increase , you have to weigh your options and needs very carefully. Canon does not make huge changes at once and there small but sometimes it maybe worth skipping a generation. Flame suit on but be nice today it's my BD:ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Wow!
People, be honest: how many of Leica users were really planning to dump M gear for 1Ds III? Me including.
Yes, I have 1Ds II and Leica M8. I hope to get my 1Ds III by March... So, I am ready to get killed now...
Rant end.
I'll cut you some slack because it's your first post here and maybe you don't know me. For the record, I don't think I bashed Canon at all in my review. In fact to the contrary, I simply posted pics and let others draw their own conclusions. Granted, I did share MY thoughts when I was pressed for my opinion later in the thread, but made it clear they were MY thoughts... Moreover, your comment about M8 shooters switching and hating Canon is off-base too as I am currently a Canon shooter and already have lots of Canon glass. I personally would LOVE to have a newer, more cool Canon DSLR body, but I don't want to pay through the nose for what appeear to be limited gains FOR MY USES. Though I respect OTHER folks uses and needs will be different, and this new camera may be the ticket for them.

So for me, just like John I'll be waiting to see what else arrives before making a decision.

Cheers,

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Wow!
Rant end.
Hate Canon? I've been a Canon user for 3 years and have about 8 L's. I use my M8 with the Canon. What I saw here was a reason to not spend money on a tool which would not produce a major edge for the kind of work I do. If I save by keeping my 5D and waiting for it's next generation, I can buy the Canon 14/2.8 MkII to use now for a book project on hand painted churches of Texas.

It's not a question of 'hate.' It's the right tool at the right price point for the job.

Guy Mancuso

i agree John , I don hate canon , they are the single best OEM for the photo industry at large so there place in the market is huge and it drives others to succeed . What i don't like about them is they just keep leading on small increments every 18 months so people feel the need to upgrade at canons money making machine , which is fine for them but it does hurt there users in the long run. Frankly i think canon with there business module hurt themseleves with the 5D because it turned out to be one of there best camera's and too close to the 1dsMKII. and most folks caught on and bought the 5d and canon lost revenue in the 1dsMKII. This is the downfall of small increase in quality of file that they did not count on.

This test Jack just did shows clearly that case in point

David K

Workshop Member
Sisjoe,
Lot's of guys here shoot both Leica and Canon because each system has it's advantages. I switched from Canon because I pretty much lost the need for the long lenses and AF for what I'm now shooting. I'd switch back in a heartbeat (and save a ton of money to boot) if the Canon system could deliver what I'm now getting from my Leica and Contax systems. For me it's more about the glass than the body. I don't see anybody bashing Canon here... more like disappointment that they aren't moving in the direction that many of this forum's members would like them to, me included.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Whew was sweating that one having the M8 , looks like my money spent went in the right direction:D:thumbs::ROTFL::salute:

okay having a little fun with the smiley's.:)

Canon hopefully can answer to double the mpx and less the quality and more money. Hmmmm

Not sure if I was a Canon shooter i would give up the 1dsMKII or even the 5D for the new 1dsMKIII. Given the same 135mm lens and increase the AA filter makes no sense to me. If anything canon should have made it more MF style and made the AA filter even weaker than the rest of the line. Maybe i am reading this wrong but i am going to wait for the Leica R10 without a AA filter
Same for me, the M8 is doing great here! It proves also that even the difference of 10MP versus 21MP is not giving automatically double quality, because it very well depends also on the lenses. And having said that, the M8 shot was "only" taken with the Summarit 90 and not the 2/90 ASPH, which would have even been better!

Glad I also am full on the M8 train :)) (and E-3 now as well)

Guy Mancuso

Peter maybe when you get a chance on the other systems side a little Olympus E3 chat would be nice. BTW Welcome and nice to have you here.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter maybe when you get a chance on the other systems side a little Olympus E3 chat would be nice. BTW Welcome and nice to have you here.
I will definitely do so!

BTW, are there still places free on your "Arches and Canyonlands National Parks" workshop? Maybe I would be in the states this time and then I would join ;.)

doug

Jack, thanks for taking the time to post the test results. Looks like my DMR will be with me at least until next Photokina, or whenever the R10 hits the market.

Guy Mancuso

I will definitely do so!

BTW, are there still places free on your "Arches and Canyonlands National Parks" workshop? Maybe I would be in the states this time and then I would join ;.)
We have 6 spaces right now and would love to fill them soon. This is going to be a awesome workshop, I can just feel it.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, thanks for taking the time to post the test results. Looks like my DMR will be with me at least until next Photokina, or whenever the R10 hits the market.
My pleasure Doug! My next thought is to perhaps pay the money and have MaxMax remove the AA filter from my 5D and re-shoot that building. I'd suspect to gain something with that conversion, may get a bump up to almost 1Ds2 levels. However, what I *really* would hope for is the extra sparkle in the pixels that AAfilterless sensors seem to deliver :eek: