The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

1Ds MK III test!

D

Digital Dude

Nice to see the M8 can hold it's own against the relative comparisons. As I type this, I glanced over at my camera and admired its compact design, as I look at the monstrous D3 in the foldout poster I received in the mail. Unquestionably, the D3 and 1D are quite advanced, though I’m glad my needs are not so demanding.
Regards,:rolleyes:

Last edited:

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
My pleasure Doug! My next thought is to perhaps pay the money and have MaxMax remove the AA filter from my 5D and re-shoot that building. I'd suspect to gain something with that conversion, may get a bump up to almost 1Ds2 levels. However, what I *really* would hope for is the extra sparkle in the pixels that AAfilterless sensors seem to deliver :eek:
Now that's an interesting idea for my old 5D if the new replacement looks good. That would make for an interesting use for the older 5D.

So, Jack go have you 5D's AA filter removed and show us what it does.

fotografz

It never changes: it's simply a matter of real estate ... 22 meg., 35mm sized verses 22 meg 645 size. My 1DsMKII couldn't hold a candle to my old 16 meg Kodak Proback with a square sensor. The 22 is the same concept only an even bigger sensor ... where 35mm is it

IMO, there are some seriously good deals out there right now for some killer MFD stuff.

Hasselblad certified pre-owned with warranty: H2D/22 Kit complete with prism and lens; $13,000. OR ... H3D/22 Kit; $15,250. When Hasselblad launches the new "Phocus" software, there will be a major firmware update at the same time, and all these existing cameras will jump one ISO, and gain more user features.

If you don't need shooting speed, the Mamiya ZD produces some mighty fine files .... for less $ than the Canon ... or $2,000 more with camera and lens.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I am thinking the first of the year to make a plunge myself. Have enough tax breaks this year i hope. i think just getting in the door at 22mpx is a smart move for me and no matter what Leica brings out i can still use them together

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It never changes: it's simply a matter of real estate ... 22 meg., 35mm sized verses 22 meg 645 size. My 1DsMKII couldn't hold a candle to my old 16 meg Kodak Proback with a square sensor. The 22 is the same concept only an even bigger sensor ... where 35mm is it

IMO, there are some seriously good deals out there right now for some killer MFD stuff.

Hasselblad certified pre-owned with warranty: H2D/22 Kit complete with prism and lens; $13,000. OR ... H3D/22 Kit; $15,250. When Hasselblad launches the new "Phocus" software, there will be a major firmware update at the same time, and all these existing cameras will jump one ISO, and gain more user features.

If you don't need shooting speed, the Mamiya ZD produces some mighty fine files .... for less $ than the Canon ... or $2,000 more with camera and lens.
Marc:

I TOTALLY agree with this strategy in lieu of the 1Ds3. However, for $400, having the AA filter removed from a 5D doesn't seem like a bad idea either ;)

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Let me know when you're ready Guy. I will reluctnatly take more of your $$$ ;)

Seriously, to echo the sentiments here, the quality of files coming from the ZD are really a step above any 35mm system. Speed - no. Bells and whistles -no. LCD -sucks. Nice files at low ISO - absolutely. Big, bright, large VF - yup.

The R10 poses much more of a "threat" to MFD than the 1DsIII ever will. Superb Leica optics, coupled with no AA, larger than full frame, 16 bit, angled/offset microlenses and that Leica look will all combine to make it the new benchmark of IQ.

David

Guy Mancuso

Seriously, to echo the sentiments here, the quality of files coming from the ZD are really a step above any 35mm system. Speed - no. Bells and whistles -no. LCD -sucks. Nice files at low ISO - absolutely. Big, bright, large VF - yup.

The R10 poses much more of a "threat" to MFD than the 1DsIII ever will. Superb Leica optics, coupled with no AA, larger than full frame, 16 bit, angled/offset microlenses and that Leica look will all combine to make it the new benchmark of IQ.

David
I think still it will be a nice stop gap before the R10 finally hits the streets ,Of course i am a pig for being the first ding bat on the block to get the newest camera. But that has never stopped me before , I like the punishment of getting these things to work right. LOL

BTW i will reluctantly give you my money when I am ready:ROTFL:

woodyspedden

David
Hey David

This is why I have sold only four or five of my R lenses so far, and one (35-70 Elmarit) was a duplicate having bought two LOL. I still have another 35-70 Elmarit plus 21-35 (remember that?) 15,19,80Lux,100Macro, Elpro,180 Elmarit, 280APO 4.0 and the 1.4x Extender. So if and when an R10 as you describe it hits the market I will be more than ready.

Woody

mark1958

Guy
I am in Atlanta and I stopped by to meet Steve Hendrix at his retail outlet. I went through some options. I figure I can upgrade to the H3D-II 31 for about the cost of the 1DsmkIII. i am not sure what to do. I can probably sell the 1DsmkIII since it is still in the box. Mark

Mark what are you going to do. I know you want to upgrade so what are your feelings after seeing some of this. We know you have a nice MF system now does this Canon buy you anything.

Guy Mancuso

For 8k I personally would go for the Hassy H3 upgrade and just keep a 5d or 40d for the wildlife stuff

W

workingcamera

So its nice to hear the breakdown here which has made for refreshingly interesting thread discussion. Its become difficult to generate an open discussion about the tools of the trade in this day and age, which I find particularly frustrating. Because of Canon’s preeminent position a lot of online discussion gravitates to their “digital model” and way of doing things.

All this talk of AA filter blocks got me thinking back to the fallout re the Contax N and Kodak DCS 14n wonder what the state of play would be now if these cams had gotten less harsh press at the time.

Where Canon falls down in the final analysis I think is in trying (or if you believe all you read at least appearing) to be all things to all men/women and as we know photography is about swings and roundabouts. There is no panacea or wonder package to be found in a single piece of kit. That’s not an anti Canon position per se just a lot is expected from the Canon. Only going on what I’ve seen here I expected much more out of the Mk III… the specks for this Canon have been a talking point for years now and with all the hype I expected to see a clear jump in IQ pushing boundaries and perhaps more toward MF performance but I don’t see that.

Great forum keep up the good work fellas

fotografz

I agree that an open and honest assessment with multiple perspectives being represented like this is invaluable.

I think that this new camera may well be a living example of the boundaries traditional 35mm places on digital capture ... at least where the current state of sensor technology is concerned. It is also a demonstration of why MF is where to go to make that quantum leap forward in image quality .... and history repeats itself, again.

fotografz

Guy
I am in Atlanta and I stopped by to meet Steve Hendrix at his retail outlet. I went through some options. I figure I can upgrade to the H3D-II 31 for about the cost of the 1DsmkIII. i am not sure what to do. I can probably sell the 1DsmkIII since it is still in the box. Mark
Mark, did you get a chance to handle the H3D/31-II? All I can tell you is that camera is FAST. I've been using it (H3D/31) now for some time and it seriously put a crimp in the use of my Canon 1DsMKII at weddings. I do a lot of lower light candid work with it using on camera flash with a light modifier,
and the files are WOW! ISO 800 is very good, and the new software/firmware will push my H3D/31 to 1600.

The Canon still is the go to high ISO solution and lightening quick AF, but quite frankly I personally don't need an $8,000. camera for that task.

If you get that H3D/31-II, you are in for a serious shock as to what it can do compared to a 35mm DSLR.

Here's a marginal example ... marginal because I used an ambitiously slow shutter speed that recorded wind movement .... stuff like that really shows up due to the tendency to print these files really large ... because you can : -)

Last edited:

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
That's an amazing example. You roll through the first image and think OK ... and then you get to the second and see the detail of the bride and groom and you really get an impression of what kind of detail you are talking about.

Kurt

Guy Mancuso

I agree Kurt looking at stuff like just what Marc showed the blood starts flowing pretty damn fast.

Guy Mancuso

Not sure this comment will go over very well but here goes and let me repeat myself once again i do like Canon but they hit the saturation point with CMOS sensor and not sure there is any real improvement here with DR and image quality after this 22mpx beast because if they stick with AA filters as we are seeing there is very little added in the way of detail. Leica has some headroom to go with the existing technology all they really have to do is take a Kodak sensor that exists in the P45 or P30 and cut to size per say the technology already exists, yes they will have to fine tune it and micro lenses and such but the MF sensors are in place already without waiting for new technology to come along . This is one of the benefits for Leica because the CCD sensor is really in place right now , Canon will have to make something new in CMOS because that is what they build and there limited by themseleves because the are the leader in CMOS. You have to kick back for a second and think why Nikon stopped at 13mpx I think for the D3 and did not go any further. Not being the engineer i don't know all the details of all this but it does make you wonder how far they can stretch what really is not the next generation technology but more of the same

mark1958

Kurt I agree your examples are great. I got to takes some shots with the camera but did not process them. Steve showed me some iso800 shots he took on his computer and they were amazing.