The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Diffraction and maximising resolution

Ben Rubinstein

Hi,

I need to maximise resolution but am shooting in situations where I need f22 for the required DOF (lots of very near/far subjects). I'm shooting in situations where tilt/swing are not available as tools (very narrow alleyways with walls on both sides, etc, etc).

At present I have a 5D but to be honest need more resolution for the print sizes I want to use. I can afford to upgrade to a 1Ds mkII or even a III however due to the smaller pixel spacing am I going to lose most of the gain in resolution to diffraction (especially with the mkIII relative to the mkII) and if so is it worth bothering, will the gain in resolution due to diffraction be so slight as to negate any megapixel advantage? Should I save my money and buy a good 2nd hand 1Ds mkII?

Unfortunately I cannot even consider affording solutions such as a medium format back/system. As I specifically do not want to use WA perspectives (asthetic reasons) for this project my LF system is severely limited in its application. I'm shooting in low light and apart from the need to stop down to f64 at a minimum, I'm finding that the shutter speeds, even with iso 400 film, are far too slow to even begin freezing or slowing foliage movement in areas so built up that they are virtual wind tunnels.

Your opinions would be much appreciated! I know that there are several members here who really know what they are talking about in this field, especially in the relatively minor advantages between the mkII and III.

Last edited:

Dale Allyn

Hi Ben,

When you mentioned alleyways I was going to ask if you would consider multiple frames, focused to differing depths, and then blended. But then you added the wind-blown foliage to the equation...

I've not shot the 1Ds3 at f/22 so I'll be watching this thread to see what others offer with regards to the diffraction issue.

Ben Rubinstein

You know Doug, I was out there today, the sun had just gone down enough that the light was even throughout the alleyway. It was just 1 meter wide and people were passing the whole time which meant that jumping under that darkcloth was getting really hard. I try focusing and see that I need a f/64 at a minimum to get enough focus. I just packed up and went home. It's one thing putting up with the whole LF thing when you are getting the best it can give, but for most of the compostions I need f/64 with iso 400 film as a minimum (though I didn't realise it till I got out there and started shooting) and to be honest I'm not putting up with the whole inconvenience thing unless I'm getting superior quality which with not enough DOF, diffraction and foliage movement, I don't think I am.

It's painful to admit it but I think for these specific compositions I'm going to have to shoot with a DSLR, stitch when possible with a t/s lens and print smaller, but hell it will be a whole heck of a lot easier carrying just one DSLR and a tripod on my back!

I see that I can get a 1Ds mkII from Canon UK Refurb (full 1 year warranty) for £2000, now that isn't a bad price at all when I worked out that selling my LF kit and one of my 5D's will net me £3500. Gives me plenty left over for that 90mm t/s...

Ben Rubinstein

Had a look at the MadMax converted 5D's as a seperate option, I downloaded the RAW files from their site and from Jack Fleshers test, to be honest I see a sharper file but no increase in resolved detail. The fine detail is sharper but I'm not seeing anymore detail.

Just put a bid on a 1Ds mkII being sold by Canon Refurb with a full year warranty (hands off people!), probably won't get it but after doing a lot of playing with any 1Ds mkII RAW files I could find on the net, they really do uprez beautifully. Eventhough the AA filter on my 5D's give a much nicer straight file, I think that the stronger AA filter may be the reason that the uprez's are less 'chunky'.

I would wait for a 5D mkII but the wait seems to be going on forever, the price will be more at release and after the recent focusing problems, the inevitable use of a very strong AA filter to enable super high ISO's and the fact that I would prefer not to wait - I don't think that it's worth it, lets face it the new 5D may have a nice 16 megapixel chip with super clean iso's, but I have little doubt that the body will be crippled as per canon policy for mid level bodies.

Last edited:

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Ben - sorry to hear you missed the 1DS2 you had bid on, this happens, there will be more and at better prices as time goes on...patience is a commodity I lack in abundance....lol. With two girls starting college next year, I am trying to be good and be patient, that is a new word for me....I, too wait for the 5D2 or whatever they are going to call it when released. I borrowed that 1D3 and a D3 to try out the bigger camera bodies, but would really like to see what Canon brings to market first on the next round. Maybe it is a good thing you missed the 1DS2, these digital toys really depreciate like the US dollar vs. the Euro...., sorry bad pun...
Anyway, better luck on the next auction...