The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Canon EOS 60D

ustein

Contributing Editor
I find the Canon 60D a great compromise between the 7D and 550D. The swivel LCD is a nice bonus.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>the 60D seems to be kind of not cool enough these days

True, but great value for the money, is king of cool :).

I use the 60D (or 5D2) mainly with 3 lenses (we have 2 sets of them):

- 70-200mm f/4 IS
- 24-105mm f/4 IS
- 100mm f/2.8 Macro IS

clark666

What RAW processing are you using? I read, on dpreview, that DPP 3.9.2 does away with the banding found on the 7D at low ISOs. But the dpreview review says that it prefers the adobe processing to get more detail.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
>the 60D seems to be kind of not cool enough these days

True, but great value for the money, is king of cool :).

I use the 60D (or 5D2) mainly with 3 lenses (we have 2 sets of them):

- 70-200mm f/4 IS
- 24-105mm f/4 IS
- 100mm f/2.8 Macro IS
Well Uwe,

I did not say that the 60D does not bring great value for the money it costs. What is cool is rather determined by some kind of majority movements (preferences) and of course by marketing.

Nobody could foresee the success of M43 and also not of NEX, but both became great success because finally users like those concepts.

Enjoy the 60D - a great photographic tool!

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I did not say that the 60D does not bring great value for the money it costs.

I understood your first statement well. I own both NEX and m4/3.

- With the NEX I have very mixed feelings. EVF is missing big time and the lens situation is not great either.
- m4/3 is not really great in high ISO ranges (will check the GH2 though)

For me the optical viewfinder still shines and the lens set I mention is quite excellent for zooms. Maybe a GH2 with some better m4/3 Olympus Zooms could be it.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
>I did not say that the 60D does not bring great value for the money it costs.

I understood your first statement well. I own both NEX and m4/3.

- With the NEX I have very mixed feelings. EVF is missing big time and the lens situation is not great either.
- m4/3 is not really great in high ISO ranges (will check the GH2 though)

For me the optical viewfinder still shines and the lens set I mention is quite excellent for zooms. Maybe a GH2 with some better m4/3 Olympus Zooms could be it.
This is a very interesting consideration!

I have my own thoughts about all that and I am coming somehow pretty close to where you are.

I also have the NEX and the EP2 and I must say I cannot really get friend with the NEX, although it is a perfect camera for what it is. But I like the EP2 more, even if higher ISO is better from the NEX. I should also say that I am almost exclusively shooting in RAW.

Now the interesting evolution I am going through is the following. I currently work in DSLR with a D700 and 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 VRII. I used to have the E1 and the E3, over the years I sold both of them, the E1 because 5MP were not enough for me, the E3 because AF did not work in my sample - BUT I always loved the optics.

Now since the E5 is out and since it is said that its AF performs much better (and can be fine tuned to the lenses) and it has such a weak AA filter I am really intrigued by the camera and the few samples I saw. Combined with my very positive experiences from the EP2 and from the Zuikos, I am reconsidering to switch back to 43 and sell my Nikon stuff. I would buy some of the pro lenses from Olympus - 7-14, 14-35 and 35-100 and I am pretty sure meanwhile that these combos would serve my needs perfectly. For higher resolution I still have my H3D39, which is a totally different beast and can only hardly be topped by any - even FF DSLR - in the next years to come.

And finally, same thoughts here, why not buy a GH2 (for higher resolution) and use it with the top grad Zuiko zooms - that should be a pretty cool combination.

I finally should mention that I still prefer OVF against EVF, also the one which comes with the EP2 is the best I have seen so far and I am hoping that the one in the GH2 will even be better (at least due to specs). But in order to replace a OVF there needs to be some enhancements still - maybe Olympus will be the one company showing a perfectly useable EFV in their next (Pro) model for 43 and M43 - the E7 ????

ustein

Contributing Editor
>DSLR with a D700 and 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 VRII.

Great, but way to bulky for my taste.

>why not buy a GH2 (for higher resolution) and use it with the top grad Zuiko zooms - that should be a pretty cool combination.

Actually I am thinking along these lines:

1. Will try the GH2 anyway
2. May get a Panasonic AF100 video camera (m4/3 mount)
3. Like the Olympus lenses but may wait till they offer pro glass for the m4/3 (they are so slow)
4. Actually we use on our GF1 and GH1 often the 14-54mm 4/3 Olympus zoom

Guess what: Panasonic hands the early testers of the AF100 the Olympus 14-35 lens for testing.

But then: I think that Canon will show a mirror-less camera in 2011