The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

1Ds Mark III + Zeiss 1.2/85 60th Jahre

robmac

Son - Very nice. Would be VERY interesting to see a comparison between the Jahre, 85/1.4 and Leica 80 'Lux. She's a spendy piece of glass.

PSon

Thanks Rob,
I really believe that the Leica 80 Lux and the Zeiss 1.2/85 Jahre are different in the sense of what you are looking for. I like to shoot at F1.2 like the shots you see above which btw or poor example of taking image but use to demonstrate the optics performance. This lens yield great bokeh and very shallow DoF and extremely high resolution even at wide open aperture. In addition, the lens control the CA very well at F1.2. The Leica 80 Lux has less macro contrast and yield more glowing looks to them but at wide open it is too soft for my applications. I own the Leica Lux for a very short time and did not get the chance to do a comparison against the 85 Jahre.

I am surprise you want to sell off your Leica 28 mm which has always been one of the best lens I own.

Best Regards,
-Son

robmac

Great input. The Jahre is remarkably sharp at such a wide aperture.

The 28 V2 is, as you say, a hell of a lens. But if you don't use it and you set yourself (with some, ah, help from the better half -after she glances at your camera gear and the 4 motorcycles in the barn - anyone want to buy some KTMs?) a budget with boundaries on it, better to put the pennies into something that will get more use.

I just don't shoot that FL range very often - if anything I would like to shoot wider more often (e.g. modified 19 V2 for interior shots). Am also reluctant to have too much
sitting in R glass (which can be hard to shift) as am in the glass half-empty camp on any R10.

That said, right now looking for something around the normal range was considering actually trying the Hassy 50/4 FLE but am thinking the Leica 35-70/4 may be a better bet (similar MTFs and rep plus ability to go to 35 and 70mm in a pinch).

Have Guy's 200/2.8 APO en-route which if it performs as well or better than the EF 200/2.8 plus with APO correction, should do nicely for what I'm shooting right now.

Your Hassy 110/2 lives up to it's rep and for stop down -the Hassy lens mechanics work very well, but may need to do some shuffling in and around that FL, so it may get regrettably taken to the stone altar.

As always, any input greatly appreciated. Keep the exotica test shots coming...

woodyspedden

Great input. The Jahre is remarkably sharp at such a wide aperture.

The 28 V2 is, as you say, a hell of a lens. But if you don't use it and you set yourself (with some, ah, help from the better half -after she glances at your camera gear and the 4 motorcycles in the barn - anyone want to buy some KTMs?) a budget with boundaries on it, better to put the pennies into something that will get more use.

I just don't shoot that FL range very often - if anything I would like to shoot wider more often (e.g. modified 19 V2 for interior shots). Am also reluctant to have too much
sitting in R glass (which can be hard to shift) as am in the glass half-empty camp on any R10.

That said, right now looking for something around the normal range was considering actually trying the Hassy 50/4 FLE but am thinking the Leica 35-70/4 may be a better bet (similar MTFs and rep plus ability to go to 35 and 70mm in a pinch).

Have Guy's 200/2.8 APO en-route which if it performs as well or better than the EF 200/2.8 plus with APO correction, should do nicely for what I'm shooting right now.

Your Hassy 110/2 lives up to it's rep and for stop down -the Hassy lens mechanics work very well, but may need to do some shuffling in and around that FL, so it may get regrettably taken to the stone altar.

As always, any input greatly appreciated. Keep the exotica test shots coming...
Rob

I owned the 35-70 4 for a while and found the Contax 35-70 3.4 a much superior optic. So I bought a Leica 35-70 Elmarit which may be the best zoom from any manufacturer ever. However super expensive so it ultimately got sold to pursue a more practical (for me) course of action.

Were it me I would get the 50 FLE and not look back. Unless zoom shooting is paramount for you I think there is little comparison in terms of IQ. JMHO and YMMV

Best

Woody

robmac

Woody,

Edit: I think I'll start another thread on the 50/4 FLE, etc - don't want to take Son's thread into another dimension as it were.

Interesting. Can you go into more details re: the differences between the 3 optics?

Not a big fan of the whole push-pull zoom concept with the CZ. Zoom is not important per se but the (on paper) performance of the Leica in the three FLs looks good and it has a strong rep.

As can be imagined, aren't a whole lot of comparisons between the 50/4 FLE and either of the 35-70s - or even detail-rich test shots I can find from the 50, so any info is appreciated.

Bearing in mind - will be used on a 1Ds2, at least for time being, so sharpness in the first 2-3 aperture stops, smooth focus without over-dampening and easy stop-down operation (e.g. no fussy aperture mechanics) use are important for more quick work.

Must say, having (for now) the 110/2 - I have quite grown to like the Hassy stop-down button. Makes SD work much faster.

PSon

Rob,
I agreed with you and only the Hasselblad V lens has this quick stop down slider.

Son