The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 100mm L - Can you really handhold it?

haring

I am thinking about upgrading to the new Canon EF 100mm 2.8 L. I mainly use my macro setup for wedding details.

1. People say that image quality of the new 100mm 2.8 L hasn't improved a lot. Is that true?

2. Based on your experience, can I really handhold it or you find that you still use a tripod when taking macro photos... Of course, it depends on the light situation... Does the IS make a huge difference? Can I really get rid of my bulky tripod...??? :):):)

bradhusick

I have the lens and I can tell you the image quality is excellent. You can handhold this for macro better than any other lens out there, but as always, a tripod is best for macro work (in which case you turn off the IS). Hope that helps.

By the way, this is a fantastic portrait lens too. I hope Canon follows this direction for lots of new lenses.

Hausen

I have rented both the 100/2.8l and the 135/2l over the last 2 weekends because will get one of them for Xmas, The 100/2.8 for me was the most stable canon lens I have ever used and the 135/2 was difficult for me to hand hold. I don't want to use a tripod exclusively with a short tele so am certainly leaning toward the 100/2.8l. Macro capability is certainly the added bonus for me because as Brad says it is a great portrait lens.

kevin

I would think that the IS feature would be a real boon for non-macro work, too. In a dark church interior with no flash allowed, say.

Hi Haring

I own the non-L version of this lens. The reason that people say the L version of the lens has not improved much from non-L version is that the non-L version was really good to begin with and difficult to improve on.

Paul

haring

Hi Haring

I own the non-L version of this lens. The reason that people say the L version of the lens has not improved much from non-L version is that the non-L version was really good to begin with and difficult to improve on.

Paul
Yes, the old one is already a very good lens.