The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Want To GET BEST PORTRAITS USE DSLR or Digital Medium Format

rollsman44

I USE THE CANON 5D MK2 and Canon L Glass for my weddings. I am satisfied with them BUT I am not sure if I need to Buy a Medium Format camera and a Mid range Digital back to get this. I use the 70-200 2.8 from Canon, Am I going crazy??? I dont know. Maybe I have wanted a MF camera and feel I should buy one and see how it compares to My MK2. If no considerable difference then I would sell it. Thank you, rollsman

Uaiomex

If your weddings are mainly journal style, I think you don't need MF. Imo.
On the difference factor, for what I've seen there is not much o a difference unless you go full-frame digital MF. On the worth factor, is only up to you to decide.
Eduardo

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I simply love more mpx for use in detailed pore-level retouch.
Skin color is generally better as well with MF, OTOH I have seen many fine portraits shot with a dslr, but some of my favorites, such as the karsh portrait of Churchill were done in 8x10.
-bob

baudolino

If you go for MF you may want to consider something with a revolving back for portrait use. Makes a lot of difference in ergonomics. I use Sinar Hy6/ eMotion 75LV but I think Leaf also makes some Aptus backs with a revolving chip.

T

tokengirl

No need to buy right out of the gate. Rent one to see if it's for you.

Ask yourself these questions:

Are there things your clients are asking for that you are unable to provide with the equipment you have now?

Do you have prospective clients who tell you that they love your work, but they are hiring your competition instead because they are using MFD equipment?

Will this major expense pay for itself by creating additional sales?

Uaiomex

Karsh
Now you're talking. My favorite portrait photographer.
8X10? Not fair. :bugeyes:

Eduardo

I simply love more mpx for use in detailed pore-level retouch.
Skin color is generally better as well with MF, OTOH I have seen many fine portraits shot with a dslr, but some of my favorites, such as the karsh portrait of Churchill were done in 8x10.
-bob

David Schneider

Looked at this again.

Sure, mf will kickass in studio. Way better than any dslr. That's established.

But the wedding end is something else. Ability to go iso 5000 and get nice images of receptions with 5dMK2 with just a touch of on-camera flash and the available ambient light is something no mf can come anywhere close to getting. If doing the reception with mf, need tripod, studio light to add background, a good size on-camera flash of some kind.

I have my daughter's wedding coming up and my main photographer is using 5dmk2. Second guy will do formals with Hasselblad, plus some things like first dance, father daughter dance, cutting cake, etc., with potato masher, but after that he's on a second 5dmk2. At least that's the plan for now.

But for portraits with dslr, tripod or camera stand is a must. With 5dmk2, it's a light weight camera and benefits from locking mirror up. If that 70-200 is IS, make sure the IS is turned off if on tripod/camera stand. Single center point is best focus point, but no matter what, expect some out of focus as auto focus gets confused even with decent modeling light. 5dmk2 images benefit from pulling in black and white points in Levels in PS. And after all that, it's still expression that sells. lol.

Last edited: