The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon ST-E2 Speedlite Transmitter

Gary P

I need help with something, I'm trying to use the ST-E2 as a wireless transmitter for my new to me Dynalite strobe system. The unit has an internal receiver that the instruction manual says is for a Pocketwizard transmitter. The problem is that the strobe is firing a nanosecond before my 5D shutter opens. It syncs fine with the sync chord. Any thoughts? I was hoping the canon transmitter I already have can be synched to the unit, but maybe I need another purhase.

DaveS

I have the ST-E2 as well, and didn't know it could trigger anything other than a Canon flash, but if you get it to fire the other flash, one suggestion could be to try and put your camera on 2nd curtin sync, at slightly slower shutter speeds, IE 30 60 etc, it might be just enough to catch the shutter open if it is really close to working.

Good luck,
Dave

Gary P

Thanks Dave, I tried that but it didn't work. I ended up getting a Pocket Wizard and that's working fine. It's odd the canon would get the Dynalite to fire it was just a nano second out of synch.

Appreciate your assistance. Gary

bennettk

Can't be done. The ST-E2 fires a pre-flash (part of the TTL system) which fires any optically slaved flash units before the shutter opens. You can't turn off that pre-flash, though some optical slaves can be set to ignore it (not the Dynalite, as far as I know.)