The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax 24-85 N Canon users

RDG

Hello,

Not to be :OT:I have a 24-85N that Bo Ming Tong reworked several years ago, and I just received it back after a recent, second upgrade of the AF as well. I've asked him the same question as below, but never received an answer.

My question, when looking through the front elements, I see many, many small "bubbles" in the glass of one of the lens elements, everything else is perfectly normal and "factory clean" so I wonder what is going on?

I'd appreciate hearing from other 24-85 N users, it is the sharpest zoom lens in the Canon kit I've used in the past, and makes an excellent one lens landscape/hiking lens.

I've gone over to the Dark Side with Sony, currently have Minolta AF 20, a 28 Distagon Leitax-converted, the Minolta 35 f2.0, and then jump to a Leica 100 apo Leitax converted. Boy, it would be great to have the 24-85N with A mount to fit in the middle!

Appreciate any discussion, I wouldn't believe that Zeiss would let out a lens with "bubbles" if that is what they are.

Thanks,

RDG

ReeRay

My Contax N 24-85 never comes off my 5DMK11 - it's that good.

Bought from a member here only recently. The color, contrast and sharpness is superb. Far better than the Canon 24-70 L it replaced.

Frantic search for bubbles has failed to realise any - seemingly my loss!

I'm still happy despite the lack of bubbles.

[/url] Boats and Skies by Ray Evans1, on Flickr[/IMG]

RDG

Ray, Greatly appreciate the information, the bubble explanation was completely new to me. Now that I know my 24-85 was blessed by the optical gods, (at least I may think so!) I'll have to use it once in a while.

f4foto: really an excellent example of the 24-85's capability -- amazing! Just imagine what a few bubbles could do...... I've thought about upgrading to the 5DII for live view as well, and perhaps the 24TSII.

RDG

Leicadoc

Next addition to my bag, personally...
You image is stellar, Ray.
Do you have a few more you'll share?