The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon T3/T3i - 1100D/600D

clark666

This new T3 certainly changes my plans to buy into m4/3s. I already have EF-S lenses and the image quality for the price is better than the competition. So, I am saving money by buying Canon! Who would have thought that possible.

ustein

Contributing Editor
If you ever want to use a tripod or do video then consider the T3i. The swivel LCD makes a big difference for using live view.

Uaiomex

I can hardly wait for the 5DIII. The swivel LCD on new cameras is making the wait unbearable. Nope, nothing is wrong with my 5DII, is just that I'm 57 and shooting low, high or awkward angles is fun no more. The swivel will make my life a little easier.
Eduardo

J

jamie123

I can hardly wait for the 5DIII. The swivel LCD on new cameras is making the wait unbearable. Nope, nothing is wrong with my 5DII, is just that I'm 57 and shooting low, high or awkward angles is fun no more. The swivel will make my life a little easier.
Eduardo
I think it is highly unlikely that the new 5DIII (when it comes out) will have a swivel screen.

J

jamie123

I think it's unlikely it won't given that it's such a video phenomenon.
Yeah, but the people shooting video on a 5DII are mostly using external screens or attachable eye level finders. I just have a hard time believing that Canon would put such a screen, which, arguably, makes the camera more prone to damage, on a pro-level camera. But hey I said I think it's unlikely, not impossible. Just my opinion.
I also think the 5DII type camera for video use is a temporary phenomenon. Sooner or later Canon will want to release a more dedicated video camera solution.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Swivel screens are great for lots of things, like any photography on a tripod, awkward angles, macro etc. It's a feature that I rather won't be without anymore. My guess is that most cameras, pro as well as amateur, will have it within 2-3 years. And it doesn't make the camera more prone to damage if it's permanently folded.

Uaiomex

I'm surprised that some people don't care (even despise) for a swivel screen. To me they would be really helpful when shooting other than at typical eye level and when shooting eye level the screen stays in "parked" position. I do believe the 5D3 (or a substitute) will come out with one. After all, it started the video slr revolution. For those still photographers that do video not professionally, for many keeping the stills as main income and for those doing video once in while, the external bigger screens are an overkill. The video slr fad will go away and true video cameras with big sensors will pop out everywhere. But the video capable TRUE photographic camera is here to stay.

Last edited:
J

jamie123

I'm surprised that some people don't care (even despise) for a swivel screen. To me they would be really helpful when shooting other than at typical eye level and when shooting eye level the screen stays in "parked" position. I do believe the 5D3 (or a substitute) will come out with one. After all, it started the video slr revolution. For those still photographers that do video not professionally, for many keeping the stills as main income and for those doing video once in while, the external bigger screens are an overkill. The video slr fad will go away and true video cameras with big sensors will pop out everywhere. But the video capable TRUE photographic camera is here to stay.
While I don't particularly care for swivel screens I have no problem with them whatsoever. I just don't think that a 5DIII will have one. But that's just a hunch and I may very well be wrong. I really don't have any strong feelings on the topic.

Of course the video capabilities on SLRs are here to stay and I'm sure Canon will work on improving those features. However, that does not necessarily mean that they'll tailor all their SLR lines to video use.

ustein

Contributing Editor
The swivel LCD is already missing for normal live view.

My bets:

- 5DIII with swivel lCD (not a pro camera by the way)
- 1D line not sure but I guess they will have them too

J

jamie123

- 5DIII with swivel lCD (not a pro camera by the way)
Technically it's considered "semi-pro" (whatever that is) but given that it's used by such a lot of pros and also since there is no 1Ds replacement in sight it's quite possible that the 5D series gets bumped up a notch and gets some pro features. I wouldn't be all that surprised if Canon were to reshuffle their SLR line up as far as their target market is concerned (amateur, advanced, semi-pro, pro) and maybe even introduce new SLR models. But who knows really.

NigelC

This new T3 certainly changes my plans to buy into m4/3s. I already have EF-S lenses and the image quality for the price is better than the competition. So, I am saving money by buying Canon! Who would have thought that possible.
My response exactly the same. Have been committed to getting GH2 mini system but 600D gives me, I think, a much more cost effective option at the price of a little more weight/size. I will use with existing 24-105 and 17-40, at the cost of being limited to 27mm. I would have stumped up cost of 10-22 but can't justify it on top of major outlay for 24TSE for 5D2.

Amazing what some people spend on cameras as a pure leisure item.. I've just bought a small yacht (sailboat) for what a Pentax 645D and 55mm lens would cost. :bugeyes:

J

jamie123

Amazing what some people spend on cameras as a pure leisure item.. I've just bought a small yacht (sailboat) for what a Pentax 645D and 55mm lens would cost. :bugeyes:
Well, for what it's worth I would rather buy a Pentax 645D and 55mm lens than a small yacht. At least with the Pentax I'd know what to do with it and where to put it. :)

Value is all relative and even wealthy people who don't have to worry about money have their own individual point of views on what is and isn't expensive. Someone might think that $10k for a handbag is perfectly reasonable (or maybe even cheap) but $1k for a camera is too much.

Uaiomex

I was told years ago:
The two happiest days with a boat are:
The day you buy it and the day you sell it.
:)
Nigel, I wish you lots of great times sailing. Sincerely
Eduardo

NigelC

I was told years ago:
Eduardo
Well there's some truth in that but I'm going by the dictum that you should buy a small boat and hire someone else's big boat. The other good saying is that owning a boat is like standing in the shower and tearing up £20 notes (or whatever in yr country).

So will I sail along dreaming of 645D's? - time will tell, but my new Zeiss 35/2 and TSE 24 will ease the pain.

Going back to original thread, today I'm going into camera shop to see how travel friendly my 24-105 and 17-40 would be on 550/600D.

Is it a fair summary that if your interest is predominantly video, go for the GH2, but if you are mainly stills, the 600D is best?

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Is it a fair summary that if your interest is predominantly video, go for the GH2, but if you are mainly stills, the 600D is best?

Lets say the 600D is likely to get very good image quality. But on the other side lenses like the Panasonic 100-300mm may speak for the GH2. Overall a good lens set for GH2 is more compact.

mathomas

I was told years ago:
Eduardo
The other good saying is that owning a boat is like standing in the shower and tearing up £20 notes (or whatever in yr country).
Sorry to further the off-topic-ness, but I have to add another:

"A boat is a hole in the water you throw money into."

However, having owned a Beneteau First 235 in the past, I would not trade the experience for anything. But I also will not own another boat :).

Good luck with your boat! I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

NigelC

Oh Dear!

Tried my 24-105 and 17-40 on a 550D, standing in for as yet unavailable 600D. The 25-105 does not balance at all well on such a small camera and the lens dominates. In fact for (not) inconspicuous street shooting, all people will see is the lens, so advanatge over 5D2, zero.

So back to square 1 - it will have to be GH2/14-140 and 24-105 to ebay to offfset cost. The 24TSE is going to clean me out so I'm going to have to use my LX3 when need wider than 28 (travelling).

BTW, the ergonomics of the XXD Canon's are sufficiently different to the 5D2that, if you are familiar with Panasonic menus through the LX3, I think the learning curve may actually be less.