The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Prices on new 400 and 300 f2.8 lenses

Millsart

Crazy what those lenses cost these days. I remember paying maybe $5000 for my old 400 f2.8 years ago.

Real salt in the wound is how tough the industry has become these days. Next to impossible to make a living, especially as a sports photographer, yet the tools of the trade you need to be competitive cost so much. Its not like a 1D mk2 and a 70-200 are going to produce viable images going across the picture desk when the rest of the shooters on the totally overcrowded sideline are using 400's and current bodies with great high ISO files.

I really don't know how any new photographers just starting out could ever hope to get by because the cost of bodies/glass is just so out of touch with what you can hope to earn these days. It was tough enough back when I started and thats when gear was half the price and you could actually move images and get more than $8 for a SI or $6 for ESPN web images.

fotografz

Better buy now before the US Treasury prints another trillion dollars and devalues the currency exchange even more.