The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Got a lesson today: Confusion with 5D Mark II Live View

ustein

Contributing Editor
Shot today in a dark bar with the 5DII and the Zeiss 21mm lens. At home I realized that the images look more grainy than I expected. I thought I set the camera to ISO 100. But all shots were between 1600-6400 ISO. I even shot bracketed for HDR and found that the camera resorted to ISO bracketing (I never would use).

Looked at the camera and it still was set at ISO 100. But as soon as I used live view it used ISO bracketing and got these high ISO values. Turned out the live view was set to movie mode and the movie mode uses other settings than in non live view mode. Ouch!

Would not say the shots are completely lost but not what I wanted. They look like very grainy high ISO film.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Still quite interesting results... for a fascinating place. :thumbup:
Not a lot of the kind still around -hard pressed imagining what the FD inspector would say :eek: :)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>for a fascinating place.

Yes fascinating. Very hard to photograph. We find the Zeiss 21mm or the GH2 + 7-14mm work very well. Because of the neon signs you also need HDR.

By the way the bracketing for the second shot was ISO 1600, 4000, 6400 :)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Firstly loved the shot when I saw it on OBP!

Where?

>Is this due to a cf or something, I don't remember it happening with my 1DsIII.

What is cf? Can't happen on 1DsIII because it does not have video.

Ben Rubinstein

On your website, sorry got the letters all wrong! :)

Custom Functions. Sorry hadn't understood why it had happened, I assume then that it is not a permenant problem with the 5DII?

ustein

Contributing Editor
>On your website, sorry got the letters all wrong!

On the website were photos from the same location but shot with the GH2 and 7-14mm lens. Not these photos.

>Custom Functions. Sorry hadn't understood why it had happened, I assume then that it is not a permenant problem with the 5DII?

In the menu of the 5DII you can set the live view mode to video or stills. It happened when I set it to video.