The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 550D + Tokina 80-400

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've always been intrigued by that lens, and believe it has received some undeserved negative reviews. When it comes to compactness vs. versatility, it's close to unbeatable.

To you have some full res. images that I could review, preferably some taken on a tripod and at the long end (3-400mm) wide open?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you :)

Edit: I had a look at the photos. They were as sharp as I had expected at that focal length/f-stop, but they seem to be back-focused. It's very obvious on the last image (the lilac), where the flowers at the back of the cluster are in focus and the ones in front not.

Last edited:

hot

Canon 550D + Tokina 80-400 + Soligor 1.7x converter

Two pictures, both freehand, no stabilisation, out of camera ... f=5.6, 400mm+1.7x converter ... that is 400*1.7(conv)*1.6(camera crop) = 1088mm

automatic focussing (slow, not very exact)

manual focussing