The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zoom lens for EOS 5D?

P

praktinafan

Just a short question: which zoom lens can you recommend for the eos 5D? Is the "EF 24-70mm 1:2.8L" a good choice for full frame?

Dale Allyn

It would help to know what you want to do with the 5D + zoom before recommending, but I own a 5D and an EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L and get good results from it (when I do my part). It depends on your needs and expectations though.

Ben Rubinstein

It's very good if you can get a good one. Things to look out for are a lens element misaligned (one side is soft, just sent my 2nd one in with that problem) and soft wide open. A good one though is an absolute jewel.

Other good lenses for the 5D are the 17-40L, a really great little gem, the 24-105L for a walkabout lens (funky bokeh and nasty distortion/vignetting at the wide end compared to the 24-70L though but IS, longer reach and smaller/lighter), any of the 70-200's etc.

robmac

Also had good results from a good 28-70/2.8

IF AF isn't required - a Contax Zeiss 35-70/3.4 or Leica 35-70/4 with an adapter are just stellar.

P

praktinafan

Thank you for your replies, helpful and good basis.

It would help to know what you want to do with the 5D + zoom before recommending
First of all I will use the 5d (or successor) in combination with the 15mm fisheye for panography. And I think I will get a 85 or 100 mm prime lens.

In addition I like available light photography (indoor as well as outdoor)night shots with a digilux 2 and hope to get best results by a fullframe sensor. The 5d will be my first digital SLR.

I hope to find a versatile zoom lens that is not stretched too much at the edges by the fullframe. Or in other words: does not only look good with crop sensors.

dseelig

for primes the canon 35 L is great the 85 f1.2 L also great I like but not many seem to the canon 24-105 f 4 L I also own the 24-70 but it is heavy . David